Microflite cadetship

General discussion from the very important bit between the carpark and the flight line.
muzz00ka
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Microflite cadetship

Postby muzz00ka » Sun Sep 11 2022, 23:56

This is an incredible opportunity for the selected cadet. Good luck to all who applied!

From the Microflite facebook page:
Cadetship for Aspiring Helicopter Pilots
Microflite is offering an enthusiastic aspiring helicopter pilot an opportunity to commence their career in aviation with a 4-year cadetship programme. Our cadet will develop valuable aviation industry experience while being supported and subsidised in their study for a CPL(H).
The successful candidate will be enrolled to study and complete their training to become a Commercial Helicopter Pilot through Microflite’s affiliate, Melbourne Heli (based at Essendon Airport), with 50% of the total cost of obtaining a 105-hour CPL(H) subsidised by Microflite.
For the full 4-year duration of the cadetship, the cadet will work full-time in a ground crew role, supporting the day-to-day operations of Microflite. Relevant training and qualifications will be provided. Our successful cadet will commence a 4-year term of employment with us in the 4th quarter of 2022.
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Microflite cadetship

Postby Mongrel Dog » Mon Sep 12 2022, 01:15

Is it though? 50% of your license to be stuck in a ground based job for the next four years at who knows what salary doesn’t strike me as an incredible opportunity.
muzz00ka
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby muzz00ka » Mon Sep 12 2022, 01:38

Mongrel Dog wrote:Is it though? 50% of your license to be stuck in a ground based job for the next four years at who knows what salary doesn’t strike me as an incredible opportunity.

As someone who is not in the industry yet, I more thought of it as a great way to learn about the industry and create connections, whilst having the opportunity to complete your license at a subsidised rate.
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Mon Sep 12 2022, 02:37

While it sounds ridiculous and demonstrates the sad state of the industry, I’d be willing to bet there would be hundreds of pilots that have graduated with a CPL(H) since VET Fee Help was introduced that haven’t flown since.

Maybe 4 years of ground work should be considered the new ‘fast track’?
Justwannasearch

Postby Justwannasearch » Mon Sep 12 2022, 03:28

There’s absolutely zero reference to this ‘cadetship’ leading to a flying position with the company.
4 years on min wage.
No flying training until the third year.
…sounds more like a career handicap than a fast track?
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby KOALA » Mon Sep 12 2022, 04:03

A fantastic opportunity for sure. For a young person, this sounds like a very exciting opportunity. Especially if Melbourne based with family support.

Most will spend 12-24 months+ getting their CPL, plus time and money, traveling and looking for work for many months or years, looking for that first opportunity!!

The four years, although that sounds like a long time, is probably a way for all to see / test the waters to make sure its the right option/fit for all parties. I wouldn't see why the cadet, would't be able to fast track (his or her) progress by being proactive and getting theory courses studied and potentially done prior to all the flying.

I think 4 years (especially in the current climate) of FT employment/training, in a large, multifaceted operation is a great way for both the "cadet" to see what the industry is really like up close (and employer to check out the candidate), literally on the ground to ensure they are a "Good fit". I wish this had been around when I was doing my training.

Microflite seem from the outside looking in, like a very professional and organised outfit.
I would assume that whoever is lucky enough to get this and complete it in full, will very likely get a FT flying role with Microflite, based in a capital city, doing tours in/out of Southbank, beach patrols, fires etc etc. They will have a very exciting career ahead of them.
All this, while being paid, living in Melbourne, plus 50% of your CPL paid for.......all without having to live in a very remote part of the Australia/the world for multiple seasons / years, if you are even lucky enough to get a position.

Shame this isn't a ME IFR "Cadetship". I'd be all over that :)

For those that complain about the ground crewing aspect of the role, not all new/fresh pilots will get the opportunity to get straight into a flying role. There just aren't enough seats.Most, if not all jobs will involve a season of ground crewing or a combination of both if you're lucky.

Well done Microflite - paying it forward.

For those that believe that it is a good opportunity for them based on individual circumstances, best of luck.
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)
HELO1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HELO1 » Mon Sep 12 2022, 09:22

Microflite, this is great news and a good incentive for the up and coming, love it!

I don’t see any other companies offering up something like this in Aus, but I am happy to be corrected if there is. So surely we shouldn’t complain when someone does put an opportunity forward.

As others have said, working the ground is a great way to learn the industry. Yes it may not lead to a flying gig with Microflite but no doubt the people you meet you’ll be a shoe in for whatever job does come up in the industry.
HELO1
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Tue Sep 13 2022, 01:05

muzz00ka wrote:
Mongrel Dog wrote:Is it though? 50% of your license to be stuck in a ground based job for the next four years at who knows what salary doesn’t strike me as an incredible opportunity.

As someone who is not in the industry yet, I more thought of it as a great way to learn about the industry and create connections, whilst having the opportunity to complete your license at a subsidised rate.

It's ok for sure but it's a long way short of a great opportunity.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not throwing shade at Microflight. They, by all accounts appear to be an outstanding operation with good equipment, so if you do your due diligence and it's something that will work for you, get stuck in.

With that said, heres a few things to consider...

a great way to learn about the industry and create connections

The best way to do this is to get in your car and head to places that operate the helicopters you're likely to get a start on. Find a gig selling tickets for scenics and doing ground ops for a season, get a job in a hangar on the tools,or do a year on the ground at a cattle station if that's your thing. Most jobs come in the second year after operators have had a chance to get to know you. Spending four years at an operation that has no job at the end is just marking time. You'll learn all you need to know as a junior pilot in 12 months on the ground. Bear in mind that the smallest aircraft Microflite operate is an EC120, which they won't let you anywhere near with 105 hours.

Well done Microflite - paying it forward

They're not paying anything forward. To think this is some great act of altruism, is extremely misguided. Microflite are a business and they exist to make money. No more, no less. This is what businesses do. Their cost of training amortised over the four years is tiny in the grand scheme. For this they have a cheap employee for four years than can perform any task asked them for I suspect a very small wage. It's actually a very good idea from that standpoint.

not all new/fresh pilots will get the opportunity to get straight into a flying role.

Indeed very few do, but most don't have to wait four years.

all without having to live in a very remote part of the Australia/the world for multiple seasons

You say this like it's a bad thing. Some of the best days of my flying career were spent in the most remote parts of this country.

very likely get a FT flying role with Microflite, based in a capital city, doing tours in/out of Southbank, beach patrols, fires etc etc.

Not with 105 hours they won't.

I don’t see any other companies offering up something like this in Aus

No, however up until a few years ago, a major operator in Australia that no longer exists due to some incredibly inept management, offered a subsidised program. For 50k you were sent to the U.S to train to flight instructor level, after which you were employed at the flying school as a flight instructor for 12 months. After approximately two years and with around 1000 hours command time and a good chunk of night, you returned to Australia and were employed as a copilot in the S76.
Further to this, most operators that bond new hires for type ratings usually only do so for two years, and these ratings cost a good deal more that 50% of a cpl.

Once again, I'm not trying to talk anyone out of this. It may be great for a particular person, but just make sure you ask plenty of questions and know what you're getting yourself into.
Average joe
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Average joe » Tue Sep 13 2022, 09:29

I don’t know, if you can afford it I’d just pay for your license. 4 years out of my license I was over 2000 hours and on 90k per year, not that that’s awesome money. Microflite is a good company though. I’d just explore the options.
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Tue Sep 13 2022, 11:22

Average joe wrote:I don’t know, if you can afford it I’d just pay for your license. 4 years out of my license I was over 2000 hours and on 90k per year, not that that’s awesome money. Microflite is a good company though. I’d just explore the options.

Not many pilots get 2000 in 4yrs and then a 90k job. You are a lucky pilot I'd say.

Most struggle to get a foot in the door and then trickle away at trying to get 1000 hrs in that time.
Dem winds are gonna blow
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Sep 13 2022, 20:27

This is a great start for someone. Everyone has different paths to where they end up in the end.

This is a great avenue. Just like the seaworld ground crew jobs except this one is a step further with the offer to subsidize flight training.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Tue Sep 13 2022, 21:26

Average joe wrote:I don’t know, if you can afford it I’d just pay for your license. 4 years out of my license I was over 2000 hours and on 90k per year, not that that’s awesome money[highlighter]. Microflite is a good company though. I’d just explore the options.

Four years into the industry and claiming that 90k isn’t good money. Rude awakening coming.
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Wed Sep 14 2022, 09:08

Hello Pilots wrote:
Average joe wrote:I don’t know, if you can afford it I’d just pay for your license. 4 years out of my license I was over 2000 hours and on 90k per year, not that that’s awesome money[highlighter]. Microflite is a good company though. I’d just explore the options.

Four years into the industry and claiming that 90k isn’t good money. Rude awakening coming.

I'm tipping the guy is just trying to be humble.

If he'd gone the other way and come across as big noting his salary and hours (which he would be entitled to do as 2000hrs and $90k is a good effort in four years), he'd get cut down by all the keyboard warriors on this site.

"damned if you do, damned if you don't"
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...

Return to “From the Hangar Floor”