CASA licences Non ICAO compliance

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

CASA licences Non ICAO compliance

Postby CyclicH145 » Fri Mar 25 2022, 23:35

Hi all.

In November I got a letter from CASA to convert my PPL-H to a FAA PPL-H and all was ok, FAA issued the letter for the next step which had to be done in US, although virtually (yes, I can’t do it virtually here and have to be inside the US to do it virtually there due to covid). Couldn’t make it before the letter expiring expiry date so had to start over.

Filled the casa form, paid the $ and. Did the FAA form (paid 0) and sat back and waited.

Got an email today that somehow between the last letter that was eligible and the new letter from CASA my ppl-h is now not eligible to convert.

Has this happened to anyone? Something I’m unaware of?
Or is it just an error by CASA?

Got my PPL-H in 2018, nothing has changed since last except I’ve got a CPL-H but not looking to convert that.

Any suggestions?
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: CASA licences Non ICAO compliance

Postby Fill-level » Sat Mar 26 2022, 09:01

They removed the 2 hour basic instrument component rendering it non ICAO compliant , same as the CPL .
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby CyclicH145 » Sat Mar 26 2022, 22:09

Fill-level wrote:They removed the 2 hour basic instrument component rendering it non ICAO compliant , same as the CPL .

I only applied for a FAA PPL-H as I have a CASA PPL-H. Clearly they didn't read my form and read the email I sent. Thx.
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Sun Mar 27 2022, 04:14

There’s a few differences with the FAA PPL.

The biggest is 3 hours night flying with a night 50Nm XC flight and 10 full-stop landing.

The other is that your day 100Nm XC day flight has to have 3 stops not 2 as in the Oz syllabus.

If you have all of this it would just be a matter of getting it certified against the FAA requirements:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.109
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby CyclicH145 » Sun Mar 27 2022, 04:21

Wannabe60Driver wrote:There’s a few differences with the FAA PPL.

The biggest is 3 hours night flying with a night 50Nm XC flight and 10 full-stop landing.

The other is that your day 100Nm XC day flight has to have 3 stops not 2 as in the Oz syllabus.

If you have all of this it would just be a matter of getting it certified against the FAA requirements:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.109

If thats the case, how has everyone else done it and why did FAA tell me the first submission was good to go?
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Sun Mar 27 2022, 22:39

No idea if others lucked into someone more lenient with the paperwork etc.

As for the process, just as with any other country, you’d have to do your research as to their minimums and prove you have them with certified copies of your logbook, certified letters from an instructor, etc. For example, the Trans-Tasman agreement allows recognition of licenses between Oz and NZ but an Aussie would have to be proactive and prove to NZ CAA you have the mountain and sling time for a Kiwi license with any application.

Likewise, as far as I’m aware the initial FAA and CASA (452) forms to be filled out are to ONLY allow verification between the two agencies that you hold a license in Australia.

If/when successful, the FAA will give you a letter stating you are eligible for an FAA PPL at most (regardless of whether you hold a CPL or ATPL in Australia). From there I understand you have 6 months to do a PPL checkride with an FAA examiner in the US and get your FAA PPL.

An FAA PPL is vital before going through the FAA CPL or ATP process if that’s ever of interest.

USATS in Florida are very good and deal with training foreign nationals, international license recognition, etc on a daily basis.
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby CyclicH145 » Mon Mar 28 2022, 11:37

Wannabe60Driver wrote:No idea if others lucked into someone more lenient with the paperwork etc.

As for the process, just as with any other country, you’d have to do your research as to their minimums and prove you have them with certified copies of your logbook, certified letters from an instructor, etc. For example, the Trans-Tasman agreement allows recognition of licenses between Oz and NZ but an Aussie would have to be proactive and prove to NZ CAA you have the mountain and sling time for a Kiwi license with any application.

Likewise, as far as I’m aware the initial FAA and CASA (452) forms to be filled out are to ONLY allow verification between the two agencies that you hold a license in Australia.

If/when successful, the FAA will give you a letter stating you are eligible for an FAA PPL at most (regardless of whether you hold a CPL or ATPL in Australia). From there I understand you have 6 months to do a PPL checkride with an FAA examiner in the US and get your FAA PPL.

An FAA PPL is vital before going through the FAA CPL or ATP process if that’s ever of interest.

USATS in Florida are very good and deal with training foreign nationals, international license recognition, etc on a daily basis.

>Thx
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby 487072 » Tue Mar 29 2022, 19:21

Hi, I did CASA CPL to FAA private via the method you are using in 2020. Check the validity of your CASA medical and flight review. I have a feeling the problem may be that one of those expires before the FAA letter would expire if they issued one, if that makes sense. The FAA only give you a restricted private certificate which is wholly dependent on you maintaining currency on your CASA licence and carrying your CASA licence and medical at all times, which isn’t really explained on the websites. I remember the DPE that did my interview in the US questioned me because my Class 1 medical was expiring in a few months, and I had to point out that the Class 2 had multiple years left on it. Just a thought.
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby CyclicH145 » Wed Mar 30 2022, 04:04

487072 wrote:Hi, I did CASA CPL to FAA private via the method you are using in 2020. Check the validity of your CASA medical and flight review. I have a feeling the problem may be that one of those expires before the FAA letter would expire if they issued one, if that makes sense. The FAA only give you a restricted private certificate which is wholly dependent on you maintaining currency on your CASA licence and carrying your CASA licence and medical at all times, which isn’t really explained on the websites. I remember the DPE that did my interview in the US questioned me because my Class 1 medical was expiring in a few months, and I had to point out that the Class 2 had multiple years left on it. Just a thought.

after back and forth with FAA and CASA, who simply wont just re-issue the original one that was accepted, basically CASA licences wont be validated as its not compliant to ICAO annex 1. Its due to the 3 night hours and need for another stop on a nav. Like why we can't just do those here and have them recognised as a "bridge" so that CASA will say my PPL-H is ICAO compliant is beyond me.

I'll need to wait until i get over there and get my visa.

Good on CASA....
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Wed Mar 30 2022, 07:34

USATS deal with student visas all the time. Best thing you could do is turn up with your logbook, sit the one FAA PPL exam, and fix any shortfalls in the US with the same school that’s going to do your checkride.
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby CyclicH145 » Wed Mar 30 2022, 07:44

Wannabe60Driver wrote:USATS deal with student visas all the time. Best thing you could do is turn up with your logbook, sit the one FAA PPL exam, and fix any shortfalls in the US with the same school that’s going to do your checkride.

Thanks mate!
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby CyclicH145 » Sun Apr 3 2022, 05:25

CyclicH145 wrote:
Wannabe60Driver wrote:USATS deal with student visas all the time. Best thing you could do is turn up with your logbook, sit the one FAA PPL exam, and fix any shortfalls in the US with the same school that’s going to do your checkride.

Thanks mate!

Question, noting the "turn up with your logbook". do I still need the validation from CASA?
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Mon Apr 4 2022, 23:08

No. I believe the issue you’re having is that you’re attempting to have the FAA recognise a CASA license (which they won’t unless you have an NVFR or IR). I’m advocating ignoring all that and just getting a US flight school to look at your hours, fill any required gaps, and sit your flight exam in the US. I’m guessing you’ll also have to sit the single FAA PPL theory exam in that case. Once you have an FAA PPL, getting your FAA CPL won’t be difficult given you have the hours.

I looked into this a few years back and it was one of the reasons I did my NVFR.

Return to “International License Conversion”