2022 HeliOps Calendar Giveaway

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

2022 HeliOps Calendar Giveaway

Postby Heli-Ops » Mon Oct 18 2021, 06:56

ATTN: All Members - Time for the annual HeliOps calendar giveaway.

Well the past year has been a s#!t of a year to be honest - me I have been stuck in NZ apart from one quick trip to RotorTech before they locked the border. I know some of you are still doing what you do around the world and some of you aren't - so thinking of everyone that isn't.

This year I will be doing the same as I did last year - once you post on the thread below you get a calendar for yourself and you can also nominate a friend or colleague to receive one also just to help brighten their day.

To take advantage of this years calendar just post on this thread how your year has been - the good - the bad or the ugly. There is no right or wrong but please post more than a one or two word post. Once you post send me a PM with both your name and postal address (Usernames here are suffice) along with name and postal address for the person you wish us to send a calendar to as well.

Kia Kaha to everyone and heres hoping the whole world starts opening up a bit more. Below are the images on this years calendar.

Ned - Publisher - HeliOps
Attachments
HO 13.jpg
HO 12 December.jpg
HO 9 September.jpg
HO 6 June.jpg
HO 5 May.jpg
HO 4 April.jpg
HO 3 March.jpg
HO 1 Jan.jpg
HO 1 Cover.jpg
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: 2022 HeliOps Calendar Giveaway

Postby skypig » Mon Oct 18 2021, 22:10

It’s hard to complain, when you still have a job that involves flying really nice helicopters.

Even with extensive experience complaining, my best efforts moaning about being stuck in a motel room for 2 weeks at a time seem lame while I have friends spending 6 weeks at a time in Howard Springs detention centre.

I could rail against having a Vaccine, that made my arm sore, twice, but historically there have been worse things.

I hope everyone has a better 2022, than 2021, even if 2021 was great for you.

Skypig - Onward and upward.
Chang739
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chang739 » Mon Oct 18 2021, 22:29

I won a 2021 calender so this years should go to someone else :D

2021 was a year of slogging through the last of my current job, just counting down the months (on an awesome calender) until I pack this in and go chase my first flying gig. 2022 is my big career change year and im under no illusions its going to be easy (the pay cut will sting).

A few weeks out from starting a SE IR... at my bare minimum hours its probably a really stupid decision but it will be one hell of an experience and who knows, maybe I might make use of the NVFR sometime soon.

Cheers,

Chang
Colin Leggett
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Colin Leggett » Tue Oct 19 2021, 01:49

2021 didn't slow down the opportunity to learn, 2021 saw me start and attain a childhood dream that has taken almost 40 years to finally make happen! (What was I waiting for?, I don't know??!!).

Having completed my CPL, I now continue to tick along, adding up hours where I can and knocking off ATPL exams whilst keeping a hopeful eye out for that first job that will see me taking the big leap into the role of a professional pilot!

Like Chang said, I'm also under no illusion that it is going to be easy (especially at 40!), but I'm yet to see a helicopter pilot that wishes they hadn't started flying, and I'm pretty sure in every picture in that calendar the pilot has a massive grin plastered on their face!! :D

The cliché quote "Out of adversity comes opportunity" hopefully rings true for 2022! I love helicopters, I will always love helicopters and I am greatly excited about the years to come, forget 2021....

Col
Last edited by Colin Leggett on Wed Oct 20 2021, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli-Ops » Tue Oct 19 2021, 02:37

Chang - Got bunch to give away so send in your info and will send one off and nominate a colleague to get one as well.
Chang739
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chang739 » Tue Oct 19 2021, 04:36

PM sent, cheers!

:D
Helix130
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Helix130 » Tue Oct 19 2021, 07:46

With a grand total of 30mins flying since Jan 21, there could be every reason to be disappointed. However, probably for me the most disappointing was the loss of community support that was so prevalent last year when it all started. Seeing violent clashes and the lack of resilience spoke volumes for me, as I considered the sacrifices my family members had made in wars, with little or no complaint but a central motivation of making sacrifice for the greater good.

Despite all of this I had the opportunity to share some very bonding time with my young son. An opportunity I never had and one I never expected would occur - twice. I further perfected my catering skills, which were much appreciated by my partner who is a front line health worker.

I look forward to better times but will draw on the past 18 months as a source of strength when life is not as comfortable and smooth as I would like it to be.
Dooser

Postby Dooser » Tue Oct 19 2021, 18:34

As a 40 yr old in 2019 jumping into a chopper for the first time with no aviation experience deciding that the rotary life was the one for me, I got stuck into a full-time diploma with a student loan. I knew it would be a hard road, was told it was a total waste of time " stick to what you're doing, you won't make any money in helicopters ", so I was under no illusions.
I don't have money behind me and took out a big student loan but for me there was more to life than money, I wanted to have a passion which took me to work everyday.
The last year has made entry for a low hr pilot into industry harder than it ever has as far as I can tell and to even stand a chance it takes much support from family to put up with all the sacrifices made to get that first golden opportunity, both daily and long term.
Its in these times that the stubbornness my parents used to complain about might just be the one thing that gets me the start all newbies need.

Optimistic as ever, I hope my post for the 2023 calendar has a " well it all paid off... " ring to it !!
Smokie

Postby Smokie » Wed Oct 20 2021, 01:05

A year of continuing to hope that we can develop a more effective firefighting system across this country. Also, fearing the political and social direction we are going.
Learnt to surf as a part of the Veterans Surf Project -a DVA-funded study into how group surf training impacts PTSD and service-related issues and seeing great results in a lot of old and new mates.
Lots of time with the family! Life is great, even if times are challenging.
Let’s hope we all remember who we are in these weird times and look after each other no matter what political or other beliefs we hold.
Cheers!
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli-Ops » Wed Oct 20 2021, 08:02

Just a reminder, when you have made a post send me a PM with name and postal addresses.
drewie162

Postby drewie162 » Thu Oct 21 2021, 04:06

I made a start on my CPL last year, 2021 involved my first solo which was a great achievement!

I have now taken a pause on training, courtesy of COVID and moving away, however still chipping away with the theory exams
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli-Ops » Mon Oct 25 2021, 19:47

Anyone else or is that it ??
Stick Pig

Postby Stick Pig » Mon Oct 25 2021, 23:53

Many in the industry have had a tough few years especially those in tourism, I have really been fortunate to remain employed throughout the pandemic a few rough patches here and there but always a pay check to be thankful for.

Like many interstate borders has been an issue with visiting family and friends.
Uncle Chop Chop
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Uncle Chop Chop » Tue Oct 26 2021, 22:11

Still have a job so very thankful for that, hasn't been all smooth sailing, but most us in that boat.

Aside from the pandemic related downtime, family/friends restrictions, worst part of it?

Not being able to go to bunnings for a snag and window shopping.
Heliflyer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Heliflyer » Wed Oct 27 2021, 08:27

I've been instructing part time and really loving it. Had a few rough patches through covid but starting to pick up in the last few weeks and getting a lot more days of work now. Instructing is so totally different to flying charters, it can be a real challenge but also rewarding when you see students progressing. Becoming a helicopter pilot is such a cool goal to work towards, everyone is happy and loving life. It's a dream job really.
TreeTrimmer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TreeTrimmer » Wed Oct 27 2021, 12:12

Been a good year so far. Unaffected even with a change of employer which required a move interstate but remained in the utility sector & has been still situation normal. Living out of a suit case, bouncing around the country side, clocking plenty if time in the seat & cyclic in hand to keep the lights on. The worst part was packing a house up & doing the post clean.
To all those that have had it tough & been affected, hanging in there! Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel is blue skies filled with the beat of rotor blades.
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli-Ops » Fri Nov 5 2021, 07:37

Last Call for anyone who wants one.
Blade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Blade » Mon Nov 8 2021, 23:46

Crazy @$$ year, but we are still here doing it....
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Tue Nov 9 2021, 01:51

Calendar arrived.
Thanks you!
Helical
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Helical » Wed Nov 10 2021, 06:55

Probably a bit late to the party. This year has been a bit of a hiccup in training, but life goes on. I'm in a better situation than many others.

Return to “On the Job”