Actually retired, not just talking about it, did it

Got a good story? Tell it here.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Actually retired, not just talking about it, did it

Postby hand in pants » Mon Jul 5 2021, 13:38

Ladies and gentlemen, yes, I have actually retired. Not just from flying but the whole shooting match. It’s about 3 or 4 years earlier than I wanted but my health has made it too difficult to go to work and do my job.
So I just wanted to say thank you to everybody, the good, the bad and the ugly, and the two ugly blokes know who they are.
I have enjoyed 31 years in an industry that can be difficult but oh so rewarding. I’ve met and worked with the best, I’ve been fortunate enough to have only worked for great bosses, I’ve flown only good aircraft, I’ve been to places most of my childhood friends still just dream about and had a ton of fun.
I’ve taught a lot of people to fly, a lot of them are well respected pilots in their field. I’m proud of everyone of them. I’ve taught private pilots to fly and they're still flying safely today, and I’m proud of them too.
I have flown billionaires, Royalty, movie stars, politicians, my wife, (and she thinks the dog could do a better job) and average people. I’ve always treated them the same, hello mate, I’m Terry your pilot.
I have done all manner of flying, instructing, media, aerial photography, gravity/GPS survey, fire fighting, Chief Pilot a couple of times, Chief Flying Instructor a couple of times, corporate, general charter, joy flights, EMS, external loads, ferrying aircraft.
No accidents, some close calls, but my decisions were based on me going home at the end of the day.
I’ve given good advice, made so many stupid comments and listened to anyone who offered an opinion. I didn’t know it all, no one does, I know enough to keep myself and those with me out of the poo.
I’m not disappointed with anything I’ve done or said, or thought. I’ve usually just said what I though, no filter, I’ve never sugar coated anything because I wanted people to know what I thought. If they didn’t like it, okay but they knew were they stood with me. It’s a small industry and thieves and liars shouldn’t be in it.
I’ve flown in every state except Tasmania, I’ve flown in India, Fiji, the USA, I’ve flown 13 types of helicopter, single, multi, piston and turbine.
I watched the clowns in Canberra try to drive us down, stupid, confusing, unworkable rule changes “because of safety”. I’ve seen academics and shiney arses, ex-military fools get control and most of them have no or very little experience in aviation.
Now don’t get me wrong when I talk about ex military people, I have great respect for the military, huge respect, they put themselves in harms way for me. It’s the ones who get out and forget they are out that I have issues with, Civil aviation is not military aviation, two different games.
I object to the fact these academics and shiney arses think they know what my job is. I object that they are saying what I’ve done in the past isn’t good enough or that it’s wrong. Especially when not one of these academics or shiney arses has flown a helicopter, taught anyone to fly, done any work with a helicopter, but they know better.

I’ll leave the industry but I’ll be watching from the sidelines. I’ll stay with slapper as long as the cancer allows me to. I’ll keep slagging off the caa as long as they deserve it. I’ll try to post positive comments rather than negative stuff.

So again, thanks to each and every one of you, without you my life would have been boring, you’ve provided me with endless entertainment, lots of laughs, tons of fun, adventure, satisfaction and more good friends than I can poke a stick at.

Terry McGowan
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Actually retired, not just talking about it, did it

Postby skypig » Mon Jul 5 2021, 13:46

Wow.
Great career. Great post. Some bad news.
I’m lost for words.

Enjoy each day of your hard earned retirement.

Simon
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Mon Jul 5 2021, 19:06

Indeed, sounds like a great life & career.

I hope that you’ll get well soon to enjoy your retirement.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon Jul 5 2021, 22:11

And you forgot one highlight of your journey:
Aviation Theory in Drumoyne. Including Harbour Cruise Graduation celebration (With Propeller hats.) (c:_ol
rotors99
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby rotors99 » Mon Jul 5 2021, 22:19

Tezza...Mate I'm sorry & shocked to hear this!
By the way Mate thanks for the larfs, some great advice over past century & the 407 endorsement so many moons ago!
Stay well Brother & keep on larfink :lol:
Cheers
SBB :cool_dc:
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Mon Jul 5 2021, 23:17

Yes Simon, a perfect way to start in the industry. We had some fun in those days.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Gunga Din
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gunga Din » Tue Jul 6 2021, 06:41

Flying helicopters (and sometimes planes) has been a hoot for all of us in the chopper world, didn't matter who we worked for, it was our own moral compass that got us home at night. Now, you don't need to worry about CA$A, staying current on instruments / night / any other stuff, it doesn't matter where the cloudbase is, or how much fuel is left, or running out of hours on the MR, or if CAO 48 is rearing its ugly head.

Enjoy being safe on the ground Terry, join the rest of us at 1g and zero feet high.
Arm, arm, I Gunga Din, the door slockt.
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Tue Jul 6 2021, 09:16

HIP.. mate..
Great post!
I was moved by your post and envious and proud of you! We spoke about this decision you have made.
For the record, congratulations on a extremely impressive career!!!!
From the first time I met and flew with you, I knew you were a legend. You have always been so reputable to hand over your skills and hard earned experiences to those who deserve it or not.
You are a legend of our industry!!!
You can always jump in a machine with me and many others to keep the thrill alive.
Look forward to seeing you soon and around the traps!
GF.
There is always an option.
Gasket18
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gasket18 » Tue Jul 6 2021, 13:04

hey what an amazing post. Sorry it's come to end especially the way it has. Sounds like you've had an amazing time with it tho which is what we all aspire to. Hope you can enjoy your retirement
Bee3
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bee3 » Wed Jul 7 2021, 04:04

Congrats on 31 years accident free. Something we all aspire too I’m sure.

Enjoy your retirement.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Thu Jul 8 2021, 11:30

Genuinely saddened with the news Terry. But what an amazing career that many of us could really only dream about! Are you staying local or travelling a bit? Next couple months would be great to catch up for a few beers...been ages between 'slapper drinks.
spcrewie
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby spcrewie » Mon Jul 12 2021, 11:21

Terry, I'm very sad to say our paths have not crossed as yet but I know quite a few people who know you and speak very highly of you. What a fantastic career mate. Something to look back on and be very proud of. Keep sticking it to those c***s in CA$A and I wish you all the very best mate.

Return to “There I was...”