Pilot Required Torres Strait

Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
Ben Geaney
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Pilot Required Torres Strait

Postby Ben Geaney » Fri Jan 29 2021, 05:28

iSource Logistics are looking for an R44/B206 pilot/electrician to be based on Thursday Island for charter flights in the Torres Strait region.

We operate 2 B206 and 1 R44 aircraft.

Required -

~500 hours
R44 endorsement
ASIC
DG

Preferred -

B206 endorsement
Overwater experience
Trade background (Electrical ticket highly valued)

Note this is a live on Thursday Island position (accommodation supplied for pilot only) and is not currently a touring role. We will not discriminate, however the role is definitely suited to a single person.

Pay will be in line with what you can offer, but above award rates. Please research Thursday Island and understand the basics of where you will be living and working before you apply.

Please send cover letter and CV to ben@sasheli.com.au

Cheers
Last edited by Ben Geaney on Sun Jan 31 2021, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.
Gunga Din
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Pilot Required Torres Straights

Postby Gunga Din » Fri Jan 29 2021, 07:30

Ben, it is "Torres Strait".
Just thought I'd put you Straight.

Spent 7 months on Horny Island, that was more than enough.
Arm, arm, I Gunga Din, the door slockt.
Gardiner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gardiner » Sun Jan 31 2021, 02:02

Not an electrician and freash CPL, but iv sent an email anyway. I was ment to go on a trawler up to the islands many years ago but we did scallops down south insted. Id love to be up there.
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Pilot Required Torres Strait

Postby Rotorpilot » Sun Jan 31 2021, 21:27

If I was single.....
Dem winds are gonna blow
Roundhill150
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Roundhill150 » Mon Feb 1 2021, 01:21

Gardiner wrote:Not an electrician and freash CPL, but iv sent an email anyway. I was ment to go on a trawler up to the islands many years ago but we did scallops down south insted. Id love to be up there.
Gardiner wrote:Not an electrician and freash CPL, but iv sent an email anyway. I was ment to go on a trawler up to the islands many years ago but we did scallops down south insted. Id love to be up there.

Hope you fly better than you write
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Mon Feb 1 2021, 03:07

Rotorpilot, if I was single I still wouldn't go there.
Absolutely nothing against the company, just too bloody hot and humid for an old bloke.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon Feb 1 2021, 09:14

Beautiful spot to fly around, particularly during the dry season. Wet season definitely has its challenges and needs to be treated with respect. The owner is a good guy and an experienced and capable pilot himself...would be a good job for person starting out with the right level of experience. Thursday Island isn't too bad and is better than Horn Island for lifestyle.
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Thu Feb 4 2021, 23:08

hand in pants wrote:Rotorpilot, if I was single I still wouldn't go there.
Absolutely nothing against the company, just too bloody hot and humid for an old bloke.

:lol:
Fair enough :)

Temperature either hot or cold doesn't seam to bother me. I look at the benefit's that come from it. Like good fishing and boating or Snow, good hunting etc
Dem winds are gonna blow
Gunga Din
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gunga Din » Fri Feb 5 2021, 05:38

Temperature either hot or cold doesn't seam to bother me. I look at the benefit's that come from it. Like good fishing and boating or Snow, good hunting etc

Hmmm... cold won't be a feature.
Hot ... tick
Good fishing..... yes, but watch for the crocs
Boating...........yes, but watch for the crocs
Snow..............umm...no
Hunting..........if you are after crocs. But they are protected unless you are a native of the area.

Was standing on the hospital pad on TI, looking at the tide whizzing past, and asked one of the nurses if she ever swam there. She said she was once considering a dip, but then a croc swam past with a dog in its jaws.
Arm, arm, I Gunga Din, the door slockt.
cupid stunt
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby cupid stunt » Fri Feb 5 2021, 14:25

TI- toughton island. Seen some xl crocs up that way and a tide like you wouldn’t imagine
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Fri Feb 5 2021, 20:13

Hmmm... cold won't be a feature.
Hot ... tick
Good fishing..... yes, but watch for the crocs
Boating...........yes, but watch for the crocs
Snow..............umm...no
Hunting..........if you are after crocs. But they are protected unless you are a native of the area.
.[/quote]

Was talking in general about conditions of work not TI.
Dem winds are gonna blow
Gardiner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gardiner » Tue Feb 9 2021, 13:04

Roundhill150 wrote:

We all have our strengths. I fly ok given my experience level, I have a lot to learn in aviation. iv allways been a lot better with machines than books. I can not write a novel to save my life but thats ok i get paid to operate heavy machinery not edit womens weekly. If you would like to come back a road train for me i am happy offer advice from the sidelines.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Thu Feb 11 2021, 10:09

Gardiner wrote:
Roundhill150 wrote:

We all have our strengths. I fly ok given my experience level, I have a lot to learn in aviation. iv allways been a lot better with machines than books. I can not write a novel to save my life but thats ok i get paid to operate heavy machinery not edit womens weekly. If you would like to come back a road train for me i am happy offer advice from the sidelines.

F**king brilliant
Skid Marks
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Skid Marks » Thu Feb 11 2021, 22:57

That's just brilliant 8)
Gardiner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gardiner » Mon Feb 15 2021, 12:29

FerrariFlyer wrote:Beautiful spot to fly around, particularly during the dry season. Wet season definitely has its challenges and needs to be treated with respect. The owner is a good guy and an experienced and capable pilot himself...would be a good job for person starting out with the right level of experience. Thursday Island isn't too bad and is better than Horn Island for lifestyle.

This job was advertised two years ago from memory, infact im positive because I spent quite some time googling thursday Island and again now. Hopefully next time it comes up Ill have just enough seat time to scrape in. Its definitely the type of position Im after. Apart from the sparky part. I'm not bad with a spanner but. I can't find his company online, Iv also never got a response. However Iv been learning of late that between a fresh CPL and about 300 hours you are just another annoying wanna be so no-replies are standard. It disappoints me that with such low demand for new pilots I have to compete with all these VET fee students. Hoping that buy the time I pay my way to 300 hours they will all still be stuck at 105. I do see a lot of low time jobs in south africa but it would be nice to stay in the oceania area.
nuggs
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby nuggs » Mon Feb 15 2021, 12:46

Not trying to be harsh but why would someone employ you in a customer facing position (any tourism or charter job) when your grammar is so bad. I know it shouldn't matter but if i was a customer and the pilot wrote me an email in the same way you type i would not want to fly with them. If you want to fly mustering or something then i'm sure it would make much less of a difference.
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Mon Feb 15 2021, 17:48

Gardiner wrote:
FerrariFlyer wrote:Beautiful spot to fly around, particularly during the dry season. Wet season definitely has its challenges and needs to be treated with respect. The owner is a good guy and an experienced and capable pilot himself...would be a good job for person starting out with the right level of experience. Thursday Island isn't too bad and is better than Horn Island for lifestyle.

This job was advertised two years ago from memory, infact im positive because I spent quite some time googling thursday Island and again now. Hopefully next time it comes up Ill have just enough seat time to scrape in. Its definitely the type of position Im after. Apart from the sparky part. I'm not bad with a spanner but. I can't find his company online, Iv also never got a response. However Iv been learning of late that between a fresh CPL and about 300 hours you are just another annoying wanna be so no-replies are standard. It disappoints me that with such low demand for new pilots I have to compete with all these VET fee students. Hoping that buy the time I pay my way to 300 hours they will all still be stuck at 105. I do see a lot of low time jobs in south africa but it would be nice to stay in the oceania area.

SA run off regs based on EASA so that’s extra exams, 200 hours TT/ 100 hours PIC for a basic CPLH.
Gardiner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gardiner » Wed Feb 17 2021, 18:09

Can you use any fixed wing for that do you know?
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Thu Feb 18 2021, 00:13

Short answer is ‘kinda’. Unlike in Australia and the US where logged hours count as aeronautical experienced and can cross over up to a certain percentage, in SA fixed-wing hours can only be applied if you have a valid SA license.

If you have a license, 2 hours in the other category = 1 hour towards the new category and then you can use them for a max of 50% of the required hours.

For example, someone with an SA CPL in fixed-wing or helo wants the other, their 200 hours TT = 100 and their 100 hours PIC = 50 and they’re halfway towards the minimums.

Page 20: https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/ ... en425c.pdf
Gardiner
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gardiner » Thu Feb 18 2021, 03:34

Wannabe60Driver wrote:Short answer is ‘kinda’. Unlike in Australia and the US where logged hours count as aeronautical experienced and can cross over up to a certain percentage, in SA fixed-wing hours can only be applied if you have a valid SA license.

If you have a license, 2 hours in the other category = 1 hour towards the new category and then you can use them for a max of 50% of the required hours.

For example, someone with an SA CPL in fixed-wing or helo wants the other, their 200 hours TT = 100 and their 100 hours PIC = 50 and they’re halfway towards the minimums.

Page 20: https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/ ... en425c.pdf

I like the idea of flying overseas but I have enough fun dealing with CASA. Iv had freinds come to AUS from overseas. Converting your licence is not fun.

Return to “Pilots Required”