Aerial Application Exam

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
Heli_Kook
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Aerial Application Exam

Postby Heli_Kook » Sun Jul 12 2015, 05:33

Hi all,

Can anyone help with some info on the AGRH exam? I have been through the relevant info according to CASA. Can anyone, who has recently sat the exam give me any tips or advice?

Thanks in advanced,

Kook
Robo-rage

Re: Aerial Application Exam

Postby Robo-rage » Tue Jul 14 2015, 00:48

yeah mate, i did it a couple of months ago,
take a heap of patience and a sense of humour with you....i got asked about spraying near a thunderstorm, if i could change the tire on my "aeroplane"
but seriously, a lot about flight duty, flying near aerodromes with RPT when you dont have a radio, and lots about low level laws e.g: when you can ferry to a job below 500 ft, near built up areas ect.
just make sure yoù know your way around the caap's and car's, i found most of it in there

good luck!!
aaron
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby aaron » Mon Aug 3 2015, 00:28

Looking at doing this exam in the next couple of weeks.
Need to get my hands on CAO's and CAR's.
If anyone can help out and let me know where I can get theses.
Thanks
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon Aug 3 2015, 00:30

On the CASA website under current rules
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Ops normal
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ops normal » Fri Mar 25 2016, 03:49

Hi guys
I am also looking at doing exam. I have the aerial application pilot manual 3rd edition 2011. Would this be the main source for study, And does it refer to the regs that should be highlighted for the exam. Also it appears that material for the syllibus and required theory knowledge is now located in part 61 and not the CAO is this material required as knowledge in the exam meaning we print part 61?
Is there any examples of questions to make for good study?

Thanks
Slapstick
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Slapstick » Fri Mar 25 2016, 12:34

Ops, I sat it a few weeks ago and it's a little bit all over the shop.

Read up on spraying around power lines, spraying contours, spray run directions, flight and duty (5+ questions on that), conducting ag ops around licensed aerodromes with RPT and whether or not you need a radio, weather conditions associated with mountain/ridge flying, maintenance releases, heights to be flown on the way to an ag op, maintenance that can be carried out by a pilot and endorsing a maintenance release. That's all I can remember for now.

I was given the advice not to even worry about studying for it. Sit it and then you know what to study. The CASA Aeronautical Knowledge Standards for the exam are useless. I studied off them and over half of it wasn't even in the exam.

Good luck.
Ops normal
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ops normal » Fri Mar 25 2016, 21:07

Thanks Slapstick
It been a while since sitting any CASA exams, those are some good tips. Did the flight & Duty questions relate to air work only or do you have to be across charter category as well.
Thanks again
Slapstick
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Slapstick » Sat Mar 26 2016, 00:00

Nah all flight and duty was on Ag ops mate.

39 questions from memory, 1 mark per question and you need a pass of 75%.

Make sure you know how to work out pressure and density heights also.
Slapstick
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Slapstick » Sat Mar 26 2016, 00:03

Oh and read up on hot refuelling of a turbine aircraft. You'll find it in the CAO's under a fixed wing section... I know, it's supposed to be a helicopter exam but don't ask questions and just run with it.
Heli_Kook
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Heli_Kook » Sat Mar 26 2016, 00:40

Slapstick has nailed it above..one more question I can remember was related to supervision requirements. Good luck
Ops normal
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ops normal » Sat Mar 26 2016, 00:44

Awesome Slapstick keep the tips coming if you think of more.
I presume both CASA and ASL have made a typo with material required as it says I can use CAAP 92.1(1) which is fixed wing stuff. I think I should probably take 92.2(2) instead being for HLS ? :roll:
Slapstick
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Slapstick » Sat Mar 26 2016, 11:52

Correct about the CAAP. I never opened it once in the exam, though.
Slapstick
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Slapstick » Sat Mar 26 2016, 12:02

Kook is right, also. I had a question about the definition of direct supervision. I've written down a bunch of questions from it but they're at work. I'll post them when I'm back in the hangar on Tuesday.
Ops normal
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ops normal » Sat Apr 2 2016, 04:15

Hi Slapstick,

Just wondering if you had any luck finding those exam examples?
Also with flight and duty I noticed it said they can ask questions on both the old and new regs )c/ ? Which did you refer to for your questions.

Thanks Ops
Slapstick
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Slapstick » Mon Apr 4 2016, 00:03

My apologies mate, I flat out forgot. Below is the a one page knock up I did about the exam. Use it with the other examples I gave you earlier in the thread and know it inside out and you should be fine.

When should you check external fuel tank vents for obstructions?

What direction should you spray contours?

In regard to mountain waves, where is the most turbulence experienced?

What cloud type is associated with turbulence?

What whether condition would you expect when flying around a storm?

What is the definition of direct supervision?

What is an advantage of flying a racetrack pattern?

What notification do you need to provide to surrounding buildings around an ag op if you do not intend to overfly them?

You are transiting to a treatment area that is over 10nm away from the airfield. What height do you need to fly at?

You are approaching a ridge line and notice low level cloud. What type of conditions could you expect?

What height must you join a circuit when conduction ag ops?

When spraying along contours, would you make your initial turn after a run at 45/60/90 degrees into or away from slope?

You went through turbulence in which you expect exceeded the G force rating for the airframe. What actions would you take?

You conduct a pre-flight and notice the fuel gauge reading empty but you dip the tanks and they are full. You only need a quarter tank for the job. What are your actions?

3x questions on operating at an aerodrome with RPT and may or may not have a radio when can you operate? (CAO 20.21 (5))

Law Refs

20.10.1 – Hot refuelling – Turbine engine aeroplane engaged in aerial work or private operations

20.21 – Low flying, circuit requirements & operations during scheduled aircraft movements

48.1 – Flight & Duty

48.1 Appendix 5 – Flight and Duty

CASR 61.1130 – Limitations on exercise of privileges of aerial application endorsements – supervision (look for the definition of direct supervision)

Aerial Application Pilots Manual 3rd Edition – Know chapters 5, 6, 7 & 8

Good luck. Let me know how you go.
Ops normal
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ops normal » Mon Apr 4 2016, 00:34

Slapstick
Thank you so much that's a big help. :lol:
Cheers Ops
Hollo4scout

Postby Hollo4scout » Mon Apr 18 2016, 21:57

Hey Ops
I have to do my ag theory soon as I can then go for my ratinng and get on with a job lined up.....Have you sat the exam yet?....
Can you share any more info on the exam Q's...need all the help I can get....txs mate
Ops normal
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ops normal » Tue Apr 19 2016, 05:28

G'day Hollo4scout

Have not yet sat exam but very soon . Will Definitely try steer you in the right direction once I have sat it
Cheers Ops
Hollo4scout

Postby Hollo4scout » Tue Apr 19 2016, 07:33

Txs heaps Ops..wait to hear from you....cheers mate
Ops normal
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ops normal » Wed Apr 20 2016, 04:26

:lol:
Exam passed cheers Slapstick and kook.
Hollow follow the advice given to me in previous post cause they are on the money.
My only add is to really be across flight & Duty, fueling and clouds associated with turbulence around hills and transit to from field regarding Rpt aircraft. It's all good to be able to reference quick but the way they ask questions regarding flight & Duty are confusing so know those regs very well.
Best of luck mate.
**^**

Return to “Advanced Training”