Re: Helicopter crash Meekatharra - 3/9/11

Postby havick » Sat Sep 3 2011, 07:16

"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
wardy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby wardy » Sat Sep 3 2011, 08:54

The first link specifically states, conducting a geology survey. May be miss reported correct me if Im wrong or you have more info to add.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Sun Sep 4 2011, 06:24

Heard it was a gravity survey job also. Out of respect I will withhold the info untill it's public.
It's becoming all too common lately it's very sad

RIP
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
ROTOR WORK
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ROTOR WORK » Sun Sep 4 2011, 07:46

Herald Sun update, with pilots name (deceased) & helicopter type
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaki ... 6129179596

RIP
Pinnacle
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pinnacle » Sun Sep 4 2011, 10:52

An amazing person who rose through the ranks in short tIme. He had such an amazing career a friend for life RIP, mate you are sadly missed.
ROTOR WORK
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ROTOR WORK » Mon Sep 5 2011, 00:44

FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon Sep 5 2011, 02:43

As Twistgrip said earlier, far too many sad events like this have marred 2011. I was saddened to hear of the accident which claimed the life of a good mate and a good all-round bloke who was very much liked and respected by many. As also mentioned earlier, Matt had only been been flying for a short period of time and had quickly added a raft of qualifications and experiences to his name.

I first met Matt a few years ago after returning from working overseas. At the time he was working as a ground person/camera operator and the first thing which struck me was his very positive, happy disposition and a ripper of an attitude toward his work and position in life as a newstarter in a new industry. Previous to his aviation endeavours, he was a highly accomplished and very skilled mine operator. On the rare few flights we flew together Matt proved to be a professional in every respect whilst maintaining a sense of humour and remaining very grounded and level-headed. On the short period of time I worked alongside him, a 7am start quickly turned into a 6pm finish then a few beers...it was such a pleasure to work with the guy.

The Matt I knew, and probably most would agree, was a bloke who was always happy, always smiling, always having a laugh, devoid of any ego, humble and modest to a fault and willing to always volunteer a helping hand to anyone who asked for it. A couple years back I stuffed up a few calculations on a house purchase and on discussing the issue with him and ways around it, without hesitation he insisted on offering a helping hand to get by. This is the sort of guy he was. Sharing his knowledge and anything else he could help with was a seemingly natural thing.

I am sure a lot of his colleagues will be saddened and numb with such crappy news and I am sure many will join me in offering sincere condolences to his family, his loving partner and friends.

Any information on a memorial or funeral service will be very much appreciated.
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Mon Sep 5 2011, 15:33

I had the pleasure of having a beer with Matty the night before he left us.

I’m in direct contact with his wonderful family, up till now I’ve been taking care of the personal side of this tragedy for Matty and them.

Matty and I shared the responsibility of flying the machine on this job.

I was part of the activation of his search as we were due to do a shift change that day.

Unfortunately we were unable to get to Matty and Hugh in time due to the terrain beating us. they were however reached by mustering pilot in his machine before the medical team arrived.

This is the first opportunity I’ve had to contribute to his story as I have just returned home in civilisation.

Matty was having a great time on the job as was the hole team.

He was always very professional and meticulous in the way he carried himself on the job.

We had discussed over the past weeks how he was really enjoying this type of work, ”The best flying I’ve ever done” he all ways said after a shift.

He was about to start with a new employer in a week or so and was very excited for the future.

He spoke of dreams to go flying in PNG and confirmed that was his new goal for the long term.

I trusted Matty and his opinion from the day we met and we got along like long lost mates.

He will be sorely missed by many, especially our team.

He left us doing what he loved.

I’m internally blessed to have spent time with Matty.

RIP buddy.
Cheers to you!!! **^** **^** **^**

Feel free to share more of Mattys adventures and honour his life with us. And let the the investigators show their findings.

GF out.
Last edited by godfather007 on Tue Sep 6 2011, 10:53, edited 2 times in total.
There is always an option.
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Tue Sep 6 2011, 03:27

Any idea as yet what may have caused it ??...any words from the survivor as to what happened ??
iPilot
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby iPilot » Tue Sep 6 2011, 05:51

Thanks for the info GF, sounds like he was a top bloke. Will raise a glass tonight for sure.

Sad to see another one go so soon into his career. Thoughts go out to all of Matt's friends and family.
ToppledGyro

Postby ToppledGyro » Tue Sep 6 2011, 08:38

Isn't it a shame that we tend not to tell people how much they really mean while we can.

Deepest sympathy to Matt's family and friends.

Hope his passenger has a speedy recovery.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Thu Sep 8 2011, 10:13

I've been in touch with Matt's family and apparently a newspaper advertisement has mentioned a funeral service next Monday. This is actually incorrect and a service date, time and location is to be confirmed. As soon as details are confirmed I'll post them unless someone else beats me to it.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Sep 10 2011, 05:37

From Matt's family:

Matt's funeral will be held at 1pm, Friday 16th September, at St Joseph's Church in Orange.

Any queries please PM and I'll do my best to help.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Sat Sep 10 2011, 06:55

FF, mate we can't PM you as your PM's are disabled...
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Sep 10 2011, 07:10

Thanks Pegs. Don't know how that happened but should be ok to send stuff now.
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Thu Sep 2 2021, 18:28

10 years ago today.
12AH

Postby 12AH » Sat Sep 4 2021, 09:32

Time flys. Matt was an absolute gentleman. Often thought of and sorely missed. His funeral was heartbreaking. Wish he gave the game away so we could still catch up for a beer.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Sep 4 2021, 13:06

Hard to believe it was 10 years ago since he passed - time seems to go by quickly as one gets older. Matt is sorely missed by many, myself included. He was a gentleman and a generous mate with a heart of gold. A terrible, terrible shame that he left us at such an early age.
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Sun Sep 5 2021, 08:04

Cheers 12AH and FF!
Well said.
I was lost for words and you both nailed it!

Return to “I heard...”