Light speed Zulu squealing in ear cups

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Light speed Zulu squealing in ear cups

Postby Heliduck » Sun Jul 24 2022, 02:51

I bought a new helmet a few years back which has light speed Zulu fitted, basically a disassembled headset held in with sticky backed Velcro - pretty sh#*house installation. I’ve never rally been happy with its performance, particularly while longlining with doors off as it gets a lot of buffeting noise in the RHS ear up. In an attempt to improve this I’ve put foam on the inside of my helmet to increase the pressure the ear cup has on my head & now I get squealing in the ear cup. The supplier told me that ANR can’t have too much ear cup pressure & this is what is causing the squealing, can anyone offer some experience based advice on how to prevent buffeting without introducing the squealing? Bloody frustrating, over $5k for a helmet & I’d be better off with a headset.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
agusta
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Light speed Zulu squealing in ear cups

Postby agusta » Fri Jul 29 2022, 22:31

I have a Lightspeed H mod in a gallet and i dont get any buffeting it all. Door off door on its good. This isnt really a usefull post but just to say it can be done.
The process was a bit fiddly to get the helmet to fit, and for the first month or so was creating sore pressure points on my head but it wore in and came right.
A lot of trial and error using different combinations of velcro pads behind the cup, ive seen some people even not have them symmetrical.
Are the mic ports on the ear cup clear of any rubbing?
bigglesbutler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigglesbutler » Sat Jul 30 2022, 09:52

I have had the Zulu 1,2 and 3. I can honestly say the best headset I have used. When I first got the first one it took a little while to settle in t a routine of how to wear it, how it fits best for my head and any improper fit meant the squealing. My suggestions is remove the extra padding you fitted and try to sit the ear cup better rather than clamp it down. I have been out on the helideck next to running 332/225/139 and no issue whatsoever, flying with the door open on the 139 was also no problem. I would also suggest inspecting the ear seals themselves as if they aren't fitting properly you may have an issue.

Good luck, the Zulu is by far the best headset especially after I mod the inside with sound insultation that you put in car doors.

Si
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Sat Jul 30 2022, 10:13

Good advice to date, thanks. I read on a US forum that turning the volume up on the light speed controller & down on the aircraft avionics helps so I’ll give that a go.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
tyga78
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby tyga78 » Sun Jul 31 2022, 13:44

I had the same problem Heliduck and it progressively got worse in multiple choppers. Was getting intermittent squealing flying a longy around but then wasn’t as bad when I went and flew the B47 but got worse in that as well. Finally squealed for 3 days almost non stop in a jet ranger and sent it back to Flight Helmets Australia and replaced the right ear cup with a new Lightspeed. I’ll try it out on tuesday and let you know how it goes
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon Aug 1 2022, 22:14

My personal experience with the Lightspeed Tango (Discontinued?) is that the ANR is more “sensitive”. In some machines, the “booming” is annoying. Pushing the cups a little harder in, improves things. (But it’s difficult to fly holding your headset.)

Their warranty service has been great.

As an aside: I’m hoping the Lightspeed bring out an updated wireless set. Hopefully Bose will as well - the technology has some advantages.

Return to “Equipment”