Any consensus on the right helmet to buy?

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
JohnnyRotten

Any consensus on the right helmet to buy?

Postby JohnnyRotten » Tue Dec 1 2020, 03:19

Looking to replace my old helmet and was wondering if any stood out (favorably) from the bunch. I'm being deliberately vague to see what people suggest and why. Cheers all.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Any consensus on the right helmet to buy?

Postby skypig » Wed Dec 2 2020, 04:43

Personal preference
And usage dependent (NVG? Doors off?)

If I bought a new one tomorrow: it would be an Alpha Eagle with Bose ANR installed.
$$$$$$
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Wed Dec 2 2020, 05:15

skypig wrote:Personal preference

If I bought a new one tomorrow: it would be an Alpha Eagle with Bose ANR installed.
$$$$$$

+1
Ben Geaney
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ben Geaney » Wed Dec 2 2020, 06:59

$$$$$$

+2
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Wed Dec 2 2020, 09:56

$$$$$$

What sort of coin would that set you back?
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Dec 2 2020, 10:31

FerrariFlyer wrote:

$$$$$$

What sort of coin would that set you back?

$5000
av8r
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby av8r » Wed Dec 2 2020, 23:02

$$$$$$

What sets the Eagle apart from the Alpha 900?
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Thu Dec 3 2020, 03:19

av8r wrote:

$$$$$$

What sets the Eagle apart from the Alpha 900?

I don’t know.
I only have personal experience with a Gentex and Alpha Eagle.
My recommendation was based on wearing out an Alpha Eagle over a 10 year time frame with no problems.

After using a “wireless” headset for several years, I have a strong preference not to go back to “wired”.
I’m hoping Bose bring out a wireless ANR headset, that will fit (retrofit) into a helmet.
I have the option of flying in a helmet, or headset. Currently enjoying “wireless”. Have preference for “helmet”.
UnObvious
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby UnObvious » Thu Dec 3 2020, 23:46

What you'll find is a lot of people only have personal experience with one kind of helmet. They'll get one, learn to like it and when they go to replace it sometimes it's better the devil you know.

I've flown in an alpha eagle 900 and a gentex sph5 for short periods and they were alright. They were borrowed, and didn't blow me away so I decided to try something else when I ended up buying one.

I had a Gallet LH350 for about 8 years and it was decent. Bit heavy and sits quite high on the head. I swapped out the standard comms for a lightspeed zulu a few years back and that was a huge improvement.

I switched to an LH250 about 2 years ago and absolutely love it. I went with the CEP comms with some moulded tips and it's unreal. Took the outer visor off and it weighs 1150 grams which is a welcome break for the neck when you're looking down. It's also super compact which helps too.

Would love a wireless helmet though if such a thing exists!

Good luck on your search.
JohnnyRotten

Postby JohnnyRotten » Tue Jan 19 2021, 06:17

Also looking.

I just got offered the Aspida helmet. Does anybody have experience with this helmet as it's price is up there with well known and recommended brands.
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Thu Jan 21 2021, 05:16

This is a very personal choice, I went from alpha to north wall with CEP snd then converted to ANR a few years later. I wouldn't look back. My issue with the alpha was it was so damn big, fine if your in a big cockpit or not sticking your head out the door of some aircraft and there expensive. I would suggest try a few on and go by what's good for you.
Icefather
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Icefather » Thu Jan 21 2021, 07:39

mdav wrote:This is a very personal choice, I went from alpha to north wall with CEP snd then converted to ANR a few years later. I wouldn't look back. My issue with the alpha was it was so damn big, fine if your in a big cockpit or not sticking your head out the door of some aircraft and there expensive. I would suggest try a few on and go by what's good for you.

+1 for the CEP. Definitely custom tips/plugs

Not really sold on the ANR, have a Bose A20 headset and I have issues with popping and squealing with the doors off/window down

I’ve used the A20s in other helicopters and with the doors closed they work well. so it would definitely work for certain applications and have I have no issue with ANR just hasn’t really worked for me. The music and phone calls is definitely the best feature.

IF
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Fri Jan 22 2021, 21:13

JohnnyRotten wrote:Also looking.

I just got offered the Aspida helmet. Does anybody have experience with this helmet as it's price is up there with well known and recommended brands.

I bought an Aspida a few years ago, absolutely love it! I spent 22 years in an SPH5 prior to that & although it was comfortable the Aspida is next level. Very light & the magnetic buckle is great. My ANR fitment was one of the first done after Red Baron became an authorised light speed fitment centre, I found the fitment a bit agricultural considering it is a $5200 helmet. I’ve had a few issues with the light speed, mainly related to buffeting in one ear cup & the volume of incoming calls dropping off. Every time I called Greg from RED baron he was fantastic with support & he stands behind the product he sells. I would definitely buy another one if I needed to, when you spend all day with your head out the door having a helmet which is very light but still provides protection (google the impact resistance difference between fibreglass, Kevlar & carbon fibre) makes a difference.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
krobar

Postby krobar » Sat Jan 23 2021, 04:34

I have worn the following at various times in my career:

Gentex SP5
Gallet LH50
Gentex HGU84
Gentex HGU56
Alpha 900

My choice would be the HGU84. I got the best comfort from that helmet and its the least bulky. I have always used CEP kits, and my Alpha's earcups puts pressure on the earpieces which makes me really dislike the helmet.

If there is any chance that you may one day need ANVIS, make sure your buy a helmet with the capability.
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Helicoil » Sun Jan 24 2021, 01:58

UnObvious wrote:I switched to an LH250 about 2 years ago and absolutely love it.

+1 for the LH250.
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Sun Jan 24 2021, 02:17

It's a hard one to answer as it's mostly up to personal preference.

Try as many on as possible and see what fits well enough, is comfortable enough and is the right price for your stage of flying.
I say enough...because they aren't awesome and can get hot but I still prefer to use one.

I found LH250 as good as they come. Smaller profile, not too heavy, there are plenty around so can find one in your price range and parts are available and compatible with evo so you can get nice replacement parts.

I'd highly recommend getting audio sculpt ear moulds Helo Chais they are the best and audio is so much clearer.

:lol:
Dem winds are gonna blow
Bee3
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bee3 » Sun Jan 24 2021, 03:29

Northwall.

You be will never go back to anything else.
nuggs
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby nuggs » Sun Jan 24 2021, 06:20

The alpha seems best i have tried

Return to “Equipment”