Accident - WA

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Accident - WA

Postby havick » Fri Nov 4 2022, 23:09

"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
helicopspeeder
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Accident - WA

Postby helicopspeeder » Sat Nov 5 2022, 11:43

I’m glad everyone survived. This accident just brings up a question I’ve had for years. Another recent (final) accident investigation report I read recently concluded that a medium twin that rolled over had been “hit by a gust of wind from the side as it landed”. I’ve spent a large part of my nearly 7000 hour career flying in central and northern WA, NT, Queensland, mountains in Indonesia etc etc. I’ve flown in to three large cyclone affected areas while the wind was still gusting strongly, evacuated ships in the face of oncoming cyclones. I’ve been hit by my share of willy-willies and never have I had any controllability issues in a heli. Yet we still see so many accident reports conclude that “a gust of wind” was responsible. Maybe we need some more helicopter pilots on the investigation teams?
The voices in my head are debating the lyrics to "Hotel California"
Gunga Din
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gunga Din » Sat Nov 5 2022, 11:57

The only "gust of wind" incident I am aware of was an air force Huey. They were travelling down the beaches when the weather closed in, so they landed on the sand above high-tide mark. The storm they were involved in was actually a cyclone, and the wind was strong enough to til the Huey over and fill it full of sand and salt spray.

This sounds like an R44 loaded up and not having enough power to fly away? (Relaxes in armchair, reaches for a beer...)
Arm, arm, I Gunga Din, the door slockt.
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Sun Nov 6 2022, 23:29

Before a pile on starts.. just remember it could you one day in the news and think how you would like your fellow peers to comment on your situation.

How about you just wish the pilot and pax a speedy recovery!
helicopspeeder
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby helicopspeeder » Sun Nov 6 2022, 23:38

I think you should probably read my reply again.
The voices in my head are debating the lyrics to "Hotel California"
waragee

Postby waragee » Wed Nov 16 2022, 08:14

G'day fellow pilots, i have just had some disturbing news from the NT. The news is that a 47 yr old pilot got killed yesterday when he crashed his R22. Does anyone know who the unfortunate pilot is..
waragee

Re: Accident -NT.

Postby waragee » Wed Nov 16 2022, 08:16

I believe the accident occured near the community of Raminging.

Return to “On the Job”