CHC WA

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
Wannabe60Driver
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

CHC WA

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Mon Jun 27 2022, 06:04

I understand PHI is going through a restructuring and that involves shifting major ops roles to Perth, but does anyone have any feedback as to why CHC would be advertising an OPSO role in Broome only a week after advertising one in Karratha?
Outbackheli

Re: CHC WA

Postby Outbackheli » Mon Jun 27 2022, 10:39

Because they need to fill an operations position in Broome after they probably just filled an operations position in Karratha.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon Jun 27 2022, 21:35

The “OPS” rolls advertised are for the basses (Karratha and Broome).
Hands on positions - involved in scheduling, flight following and client liaison.
The high turnover might be a clue worthy of consideration.
Wannabe60Driver
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Tue Jun 28 2022, 05:32

skypig wrote:The high turnover might be a clue worthy of consideration.

Roger that. Was thinking it might be a path to a front left seat gig but there may be better options.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Tue Jun 28 2022, 22:08

Wannabe60Driver wrote:

Roger that. Was thinking it might be a path to a front left seat gig but there may be better options.

Your initial thinking makes perfect sense, but in this case is completely wrong.
All options would be better.
Wannabe60Driver
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Thu Jun 30 2022, 08:43

skypig wrote:
Wannabe60Driver wrote:

Your initial thinking makes perfect sense, but in this case is completely wrong.

Thanks for the heads-up. How do you feel about the other three-letter-acronym active over there that starts with a P?
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Fri Jul 1 2022, 00:13

Wannabe60Driver wrote:
skypig wrote:
Wannabe60Driver wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up. How do you feel about the other three-letter-acronym active over there that starts with a P?

I meant all options would be better than trying to use an OP’s job as a pathway into a flying position.
The company treats it’s pilots in a way that demonstrates contempt, at best, but unfortunately, probably the best Off Shore company to work for at this stage, all things considered. (As a pilot).

It’s only “degrees” of difference. If I needed a job I’d work for any of the Off Shore operators in Australia. If they treat you too badly - leave. As plenty have done.
Hello Pilots
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Fri Jul 1 2022, 01:12

Two great sectors to work in, offshore and ems. The revolving door is amazing. Just look at the jobs usually posted. Always in those two areas. Wonder why?
Mag seal
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mag seal » Fri Jul 1 2022, 02:20

Hello Pilots wrote:Two great sectors to work in, offshore and ems. The revolving door is amazing. Just look at the jobs usually posted. Always in those two areas. Wonder why?

Wonder why? Because 90% of the utility jobs are word of mouth whereas the EMS and Offshore sectors are pretty much always advertised on the company webpage, AFAP or Seek. That is why you appear to see more turnover of crew.

There is a revolving door at some HEMS bases but that's due to people taking a position to gain more experience, then transferring closer to where they actually want to live when they can.
Last edited by Mag seal on Fri Jul 1 2022, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
Old Mate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Old Mate » Fri Jul 1 2022, 03:22

I’m “wondering why”??
I thought it was an equal time roster with accomodation and meals thrown in plus decent coin.
What’s the bad part that everyone needs to leave over?
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Fri Jul 1 2022, 04:32

Hello Pilots wrote:Two great sectors to work in, offshore and ems. The revolving door is amazing. Just look at the jobs usually posted. Always in those two areas. Wonder why?

Because they are the largest sectors for the more experienced roles.

Offshore contracts are always being won/lost which means companies have to hire. Often the guys already doing the job, apply, win the position and just change shirts to perform the same role.

EMS; as eluded to earlier, you never get hired into the Capital city base. You initially get hired for a remote regional base, then when a position becomes available in the City base, you move there then, thus opening up the regional position again.

@OldMate; They're not leaving. Pilots are just moving about within the industry. IMHO this isn't such a bad thing as it promotes movement within the industry which gives guys an opportunity to advance.
There's nothing more frustrating than sitting in the single engine VFR world and wanting to get across to the multi-engine IFR world and no one at the top is moving around. It means there's no opportunity to hop across.
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Average joe

Postby Average joe » Fri Jul 1 2022, 10:27

The single engine VFR world is pretty good too.
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Fri Jul 1 2022, 13:32

Average joe wrote:The single engine VFR world is pretty good too.

You'll hear no argument from me, but the thread is about how to move into the ME IFR realm.
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...

Return to “On the Job”