SEIFR flight simulators

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

SEIFR flight simulators

Postby Helicoil » Thu May 25 2023, 08:55

G'day Slappers

Quick question regarding flight sim training towards an IR. My understanding is there are different categories of flight sim that can be trained on (Cat B and Cat D??), is that right?. Does one type allow for more sim time, less flight time (ie less expense)? And I understand the SEIFR flight test must be done in an aircraft with an autopilot, correct?

Thanks in advance,

H. 8)
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: SEIFR flight simulators

Postby Fill-level » Thu May 25 2023, 10:05

Pretty much all recent sims, (elite), etc , you can do up to 20 hours in the sim. The CAT D are great , like flying the real aircraft.

Yes it will require an autopilot.
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Thu May 25 2023, 22:19

Helicoil wrote:And I understand the SEIFR flight test must be done in an aircraft with an autopilot, correct?

The CASA system is very different to the US system on this. There are instrument rated instructors in the US that have never flown anything other than 4-cylinder pistons.

In Australia the aircraft for your flight exam (and a good chunk of your training) doesn’t just need an autopilot, it needs to be IFR certified and the only singles in Australia that are (to my knowledge), are ex-Becker’s 206s. Bank on $60-80k for SEIR depending on whether you’ve done NVFR or $90-100k for MEIR.

RotorLift in Tassie are the most cost effective on ME and have a 355 and BK available. They’ll be offering SE next year.
FTA have an ex-Becker’s 206 and cross hire a 355 for ME. Phil at Helitec in Maroochydore cross hires an ex-Becker machine.

The bonus with FTA and Helitec are that you can put it on a student loan if you’re not already maxed out in that department.
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Helicoil » Fri May 26 2023, 00:30

Thanks for the replies. Is anyone aware of who has a Cat D flight sim for SEIFR training?
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Fri May 26 2023, 01:57

Helicoil wrote:Thanks for the replies. Is anyone aware of who has a Cat D flight sim for SEIFR training?

Toll in Sydney and Lifeflight in Brisbane have level D AW139 simulators.
Gunga Din
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gunga Din » Fri May 26 2023, 05:43

There are 3 ex-Becker B206 sims, excellent training aids, at McDermotts in Maroochydore.

Sadly, they are all broken and in sad disrepair. Unuseable. Absolute waste of a great resource. And this didn't help you at all, just explaining that 10 years ago they did exist and were a very handy training aid.
Arm, arm, I Gunga Din, the door slockt.
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Fri May 26 2023, 08:43

Helicoil wrote:Thanks for the replies. Is anyone aware of who has a Cat D flight sim for SEIFR training?

Is there a specific reason you want Cat D? To my knowledge the only Cat Ds out there are for 139s and 412s, whereas you’ve asked for single engine?
cupid stunt
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby cupid stunt » Fri May 26 2023, 09:47

There are a number of certified cat b sims dotted around the country in both single and multi engine configurations. It would be helpful if you were to explain what you’re trying to achieve in order to point you in an appropriate direction.
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Helicoil » Sat May 27 2023, 04:31

I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that the more advanced sims would credit towards a lower flight time requirement than the basic units. If this isn't the case, then opting for the better simulators makes sense if the price is similar. Mostly though it's out of curiosity, as I'm planning to get some training done soon after completing the irex.
cupid stunt
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby cupid stunt » Sat May 27 2023, 08:25

Helicoil wrote:I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that the more advanced sims would credit towards a lower flight time requirement than the basic units. If this isn't the case, then opting for the better simulators makes sense if the price is similar. Mostly though it's out of curiosity, as I'm planning to get some training done soon after completing the irex.

An hour is an hour is an hour, doesn’t make much difference unless you’re in a full flight (cat d) sim where you’d get the proprioceptive cues, and the leans, but those things are really much less important when learning to fly instruments. Anything not cat d is a procedural trainer and that’s what you need to learn. Ideally sim (FSTD) time should run in conjunction with instrument flight time. Learn the technique via long brief, fly in the sim then conduct in the aircraft.

I’ve met people that have done a bunch of sim up front and couldn’t translate that to aircraft. Any good IFR instructor will help you get best value for your money and, should be able to train you to the required standard. The next issue is maintaining currency and flying regularly enough to cement what you’ve learned. IFR is a perishable skill and needs effort and discipline to do well.
Bigdog
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Bigdog » Sat May 27 2023, 11:03

Aerotech Helicopters (Adelaide based) is planning to have a IFR B206 simulator (with Aspen glass) by Sept this year, Aerotech also has a IFR/NVG B206 Aircraft (ex Beckers acft), the layout and fitment will be exactly the same between the Sim and Acft.
Pricing is expected to be less than 50K, no VET arrangement.
Aerotech also has a IFR EC135 should one want a full MEH IFR outcome..

Aerotech.net.au
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Sat May 27 2023, 22:06

Helicoil wrote:I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that the more advanced sims would credit towards a lower flight time requirement than the basic units. If this isn't the case, then opting for the better simulators makes sense if the price is similar. Mostly though it's out of curiosity, as I'm planning to get some training done soon after completing the irex.

Up to half (20 hours) is the max you can do in a sim.

pilots then, go 20 hours in a light twin, 135,109,etc.

or 10 hours in a 206 , then 10 hours in a light twin, to get a MEIR.

Return to “Advanced Training”