Can't pass your eye test, what next?

Discuss and/or express your disgust about anything Aviation Medical
Billy Hill
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Can't pass your eye test, what next?

Postby Billy Hill » Sat Dec 14 2013, 07:38

Hopefully not as stupid as it sounds.

Coming up for a renewal early next year and feel with my current syndrome of old-phar-titis I may not pass the standard eye test.

My question is: Providing that nothing else is wrong do you have to go and get your glasses etc then go back to the same DAME to get clearance? The reason I ask is I, like many I'm sure, have to travel quite a distance to see a DAME and just need to be forewarned if I have to make multiple trips. Or if you have doubts should you see a optometrist beforehand with eye test details and get glasses first. Optometrists are not long on the ground where I am either. Normally I visit both when doing medicals as I'm in the big smoke anyhow, should I make an earlier visit to save me the hassle at the doc's.

Cheers
BH
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Can't pass your eye test, what next?

Postby arrrj » Sat Dec 14 2013, 08:06

Take your glasses with you. If you need to wear them to pass the test, do so. Your licence will be marked accordingly. From one "not so 20 year old" to another.

All the best,
Arrrj
BenThomas
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby BenThomas » Sat Dec 14 2013, 12:09

Its got nothing to do with that, he is just asking about the process involved. If I were you Bill I would google the requirements first and then go and see you optomitrist with the requirments in hand and see what you need. Assuming you need them your First set of glasses will take a few weeks to get made up. Once you have them in hand go and sit you medical. As said in previous posts all that will realy change is your medical will require you to have the glases on and in some cases cary a spare pair.

Fly Safe

Ben
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Sat Dec 14 2013, 21:53

Years ago, I came off a night shift and did my renewal and one eye failed the test. Although my DAME said that it was fine, my medical came back with a requirement to wear glasses when flying.
I went back to the DAME and asked him about it and we redid the eyesight test, he wrote a letter and the restriction was removed.
Now I don't renewals when tired and I know that soon I will need glasses anyway. I would suggest to go see the Optometrist before the Dr, being forewarned is being fore-armed. As Arrj says the only thing wrong is your birthday!
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
flash
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flash » Sat Dec 14 2013, 23:06

I failed the reading test with the book 5in off my nose, and of course complained that who reads anything that close, but was tolled by the DAME that thems da rules sonny boy, go get a pair of +2's from the chemist shop down the road and if you can read the text you are good to go, with the appropriate markings on my licence. It worked and now I have the + 2's within easy reach in case I have to read something 5 in's from my nose.
Billy Hill
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Billy Hill » Sun Dec 15 2013, 02:42

Thanks for the replies,

I think I am up to speed on the requirements re carrying specs if you need them and what the actual vision requirements are from the CASR's. The main point of the question was if you fail the actual test you have to go back to the DAME and get cleared? Or do you get your medical and told to get glasses like what happened to you CY?

I take your point CY re being tired, certainly doesn't help old eyes. On another point, do you find different DAME's do the tests differently? Is that what you meant flash? The last medical I did they made me read the fine print ie N5 chart monocularly, when the regs says binocularly. Geez I struggled with this one and doubt I'd pass it now. I just scraped through and when I queried them they said they always did it that way.

Cheers
BH
Coriolis
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Coriolis » Sun Dec 15 2013, 02:45

If you fail the eye test then you will need to be re-tested with glasses. My advice is if you think your eyesight has deteriorated to that extent, get the glasses BEFORE you visit the DAME to save yourself a trip.
Life is like a ferris wheel;
Some days your on the top,
some days your on the botton!
teebee
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby teebee » Sun Dec 15 2013, 03:07

If your worried you wont pass your test without getting glasses you can go to any government service center and they can give you the test, so can any GP or you can even do it by yourself its not a complex procedure. If you pass don't worry, if you fail then you need to get glasses/contacts/surgery. In my personal opinion as someone who has needed vision correction for a long time, there is a big difference between your visual clarity at just passing the test and having good clear vision so if your worried at all you really should go and get your eyes tested properly (Its free) you will probably see the world a lot clearer than you might imagine through some specs =P I am ALWAYS amazed at how much of my vision I have lost without noticing when I get new specs.
chocolate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby chocolate » Sun Dec 15 2013, 08:53

If you need close only correction think carefully about transition graduated lenses. The optomoyrists luv em but they mess with your peripheral vision. Half moon bifical at the bottom of the glasses works better imho. CASA required spare pair bc carried so now I have one as sunglasses and one clear.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Sun Dec 15 2013, 20:34

Like others have said, if your eyes are getting worse, get the test done first so you know whereyou are at with it. Myself, i drive and fly with glasses, but my medical doesn't require them, i can however tell the difference, and there is a huge difference from 20/20 vision to a pass for a medical!

if you have half dodgy eyes and think that you can see clearly without glasses, go stick a 200' longline on and try to see the hook!
Quick Release
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Quick Release » Mon Dec 16 2013, 23:58

flash wrote:I failed the reading test with the book 5in off my nose, and of course complained that who reads anything that close, but was tolled by the DAME that thems da rules sonny boy, go get a pair of +2's from the chemist shop down the road and if you can read the text you are good to go, with the appropriate markings on my licence. It worked and now I have the + 2's within easy reach in case I have to read something 5 in's from my nose.

Some DAMe make up there own rules.
The rule is, or was 300-500 mm both eyes for the reading test.
Never heard of a 5" rule. IDE use a different dame.

Return to “Medical Talk”