OzRunways data usage

Upload or Download weight & balance sheets
bl@ckers
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

OzRunways data usage

Postby bl@ckers » Mon Dec 12 2011, 11:01

Hi all,

As the topic indicates. Can anyone provide feedback on the data usage of ozrunways? Is it data intensive? Being new to the program I am conscious of not getting stung by Telstra on excess data usage.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bigdog
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: OzRunways data usage

Postby Bigdog » Mon Dec 12 2011, 12:37

I have found as long as you download all the charts, plates and Maps via a WiFi point then the use of the system while airborne is not data intensive at all. Really all its doing is using the GPS to show you were you are (Not a authoritative position fix, before anyone jumps down my throat) :roll:
So really the data is not used at all while in flight as all the info is already installed on the device.

Scotty
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Dauphin » Mon Dec 12 2011, 21:28

I use it a lot and as BD says the data useage is quite low. Once everything is downloaded and stored you don't even need to be connected to the network to access it. When accessing charts in flight you are only using the GPS function. You will obviously use some data if pulling up the radar picture or submitting a flight plan, etc. OzRunways is a great app in my opinion. I also use the NAIPS application a lot.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Mon Dec 12 2011, 22:14

I don't have a SIM card in mine and only use the WiFi at the office, so no data charges at all whilst in flight.

I do how ever carry a wireless hot spot that I can use for both my iPad and laptop (only need one SIM card that way) and I can carry that in the air and turn it on if I need access to NAIPS, etc. The only time that I have done this is when we landed and I got the latest Wx before leaving.

Great products, good luck to you.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.

Return to “Flight Planning”