OZRUNWAYS

Upload or Download weight & balance sheets
phugoyd

Magnet Location

Postby phugoyd » Sat Jun 11 2011, 06:02

The magnets are not only in the cover so beware if putting near a compass. I have talked to an engineer about effects on the Flux valve for RMI's but as they are usually in the wing or in our case down the tail boom there should not be too much of a problem. I have concerns about leaving an IPAD 2 next sensitive areas in the cockpit that may have circuit boards in them. Time will tell i suppose.

skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: OZRUNWAYS

Postby skypig » Sat Jun 11 2011, 12:33

My iPad 2, 3G displays “No Fix” in on OZ Runways map when in Airplane Mode (I guess as I was flying a helicopter.....)

Turning Airplane mode off, produced the moving map effect (and allowed me to check for new emails :D)

Does an iPad 2/3G have a GPS? In other Apps the location doesn’t seem as accurate as my iPhone 4 (surely it couldn’t just have a “virtual GPS” from Cell twr triangulation)?

Does Airplane mode turn off Bluetooth? I’d consider a Bluetooth GPS receiver for better reception during moving map use.

Also some OZ runway maps seem very slow to load, and when using “chooser” and selecting “ERC Low”, the ERC Low guide appears (good) “Press Location for desired map” (good), after clicking the desired ERC Low, it offers the option of WAC, OpenStreetMap, ERC High or PCA. Err ERC Low?

What does the far left button (Circle with lines inwards at 000, 090, 180, 270) do, apart from a blue circle around the AC symbol? Better still, where is a user guide?

Sky "so dumb, so many questions" Pig 8) 8)
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Sat Jun 11 2011, 13:31

G'day Pig

As far as I know/ researched apple doesn't disclose and info regarding their Gps on IPad however I believe it uses A-Gps
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

I know it's a lot of reading for this time of night! But maybe best for bedtime reading :D
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
slapme over and over
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby slapme over and over » Sun Jun 12 2011, 00:17

Airplane Mode turns off all emissions so I would be surprised if Bluetooth still worked.

The Ipad will not be giving you GPS position unless you have the 3G version. If you do then it should be as accurate as your Iphone. I did read that if you have the wifi version only and then tether it to your Iphone it will used the Iphone position info but not sure if this is true and seems combersome to me.

Any of you guys using the Ipad in flight, have approvals or are you just using the commonsense approach? Unfortunately to use it with my company it will need Engineering approval as we can't even have our mobile phones on in flight. Not saying this is a bad thing but with the rapid advancement of technology sometimes the paperwork lags behind. I believe they use them in EMQ so will be curious to know how they do it.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Sun Jun 12 2011, 04:04

I used mine in flight last night - brilliant ( actually, I turned the brightness down) :D
It's a 3G, but as mentioned the "GPS" didn't seem to work in Airplane mode....

Commonsense approach only. :shock:

Sky "oh good, a helicopter icon" pig 8) 8)
Rattlegun
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Rattlegun » Tue Jun 14 2011, 05:00

G'day Skypig,

Both the iPhone (3G, 3Gs and 4) and the 3G versions of the iPad have what's called an "Assisted GPS". This system uses the cellular data network to determine approximate position, then a GPS receiver to refine it. This allows the device to determine position more quickly whilst within 3G coverage, but still able to get a fix without cellular network coverage - provided you have the patience. It doesn't have the grunt of your traditional, purpose built GPS receiver, but it can get the job done.

Enabling Aeroplane Mode will disable all signal emitting capabilities of the device. So anything which requires the device to communicate with the outside world (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, cellular network) wont work in Aeroplane mode. Because Qantas is worried about how 200 (reasonably) high powered signal emitting devices might affect their fancy schmancy navigation gizmos, and many people cannot endure flight without Angry Birds, Apple (and many other manufactures) have included the feature.

Hope this helps.

Rattlegun
Headset
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Headset » Fri Jun 17 2011, 01:31

If I just buy a wi fi iPad and teather it to my iPhone4 will it work with ozrunways as well as the 3G optioned iPad?
outta track
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby outta track » Fri Jun 17 2011, 01:43

No, it does not have GPS.

Only the 3G Ipad has the GPS as well.
Headset
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Headset » Wed Jun 29 2011, 07:37

Ok have got myself an iPad 3G version at last has been a bit of a shortage down here. So quick question if I don't purchase a sim card and just run it tethered to my iPhone will ozrunways work as well on it, tracking position? Or would I expect it to be a bit slower? Has anyone got any first hand experience.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Wed Jun 29 2011, 10:17

It will work fine.... You don't need a sim card for gps to work. I have 64g 3GS version no sim card and just tether to I phone when out of wireless range. It's terrific I would never go back to a laptop ever again!

Enjoy!! :D
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Headset
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Headset » Wed Jun 29 2011, 10:32

Thanks Twist Grip, Yes have been mucking around with it over the past few days, very cool piece of kit looking forward to getting it airborne now.

What other aviation related apps are people running on their iPad's?
rivnut
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby rivnut » Wed Jun 29 2011, 11:26

Does anyone have experience or have used the 'Bad Elf' GPS dongle that slots into the iPAD or iPhone jack? On the OzRunways web site they mention about the use of the Bad Elf GPS product that assists in using the iPAD in GPS mode. What I'm unsure is if this allows the iPAD to read GPS info when in Airplane mode?
blades
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby blades » Wed Jun 29 2011, 21:11

Nerds!!
A woman drove me to drink and I never even had the courtesy to thank her
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Wed Jun 29 2011, 21:44

blades wrote:Nerds!!

:lol: yeah true Blades, but damn its addictive I tell ya! I got the new white Iphone 4 about two weeks ago, and I am hooked! Ipad 2 is on the radar within the next couple of months! Used a couple of apps the other day playing round at the airport, Oz Runways is a fantastic little app, and I also use a couple of really good weather ones, one (areo weather) that decodes the TAF/METAR for you, which is nice for those bleary eyed caffeine deficient mornings :wink:
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
rivnut
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby rivnut » Thu Jun 30 2011, 01:44

blades wrote:Nerds!!

Yep understand what you mean...I'm no Nerd I can tell you.....

But this is the future of Aviation planning....i use my iPAD almost exclusively for IFR instruction and flight. I find the approach plates are much easier to read than the small A5 sized paper ones. Sure I still keep the amended paper ones in the flight bag but hardly refer to them now. Its all there on one unit and if I have an AIP type question I can refer to it easliy through Ozrunways. Great stuff.

I'd love to be able to draw a line on the WAC/VNC/VTC maps in OzRunways and get a distance and track but hey maybe I'm not a Nerd and so can't work that out :( Have to keep using the paper ones for that...one day!

Anyhow Nerd or not Nerd.....got to get with the future or be left behind :wink:
Duke
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Duke » Thu Dec 22 2011, 06:36

outta track wrote:No, it does not have GPS.

Only the 3G Ipad has the GPS as well.

Are you sure?

I was in the truck using the HEMA maps yesterday and I only have the Wifi. It wasn't tethered to the iPhone either.? Oh now I am very confused cos I bought it on the premise it had a GPS in built and for some reason it seems to be tracking my movements. In fact in the settings you can select track me. So I am thinking it may actually have a form of GPS in built. If you could find out from Apple that would be great, but I dont want to make an appointment with a Genius just to ask that question.
One day when i grow up! ahhh who am I kidding that will never happen...
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Thu Dec 22 2011, 07:50

If you check out the apple site here you can see that the wifi has a digital compass, but the 3G version has assisted GPS.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Rattlegun
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Rattlegun » Thu Dec 22 2011, 08:15

Very interesting question, Duke.

As pointed out by CY and others, the WiFi only ipad(2) does not have GPS capabilities, however, it does use "crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations" as well as the digital compass to provide location services, such as those you've observed.

A bit scary? Probably. A bit cool? Certainly!

Hope this helps to clear things up.

Rattlegun.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Fri Mar 23 2012, 04:47

Latest update is out.
Had a quick play with the update and all I can say is, fantastic - great work guys. I like the options now for the HUD and the increased details in the Nav / flight planning sheets.

Well done!
Col.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Fri Mar 23 2012, 09:20

CYHeli wrote:Latest update is out.
Had a quick play with the update and all I can say is, fantastic - great work guys. I like the options now for the HUD and the increased details in the Nav / flight planning sheets.

Well done!
Col.

Second that!

Lot's of great inclusions. Rain radar scale, chart distance scale, and the added notam/wx features are all great.

Return to “Flight Planning”