More CASA idiocy!

Got a gripe, suggestion or praise about our regulator? Do it here. Who knows, you might make a difference...
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

More CASA idiocy!

Postby Capt Hollywood » Fri Aug 21 2015, 05:24

So I applied for a UAV Controllers Certificate, sent in all the paperwork and waited. Took about a month I think and got back my shiny new licence. However I noticed that it only listed multi-rotor aircraft, no fixed wing (I had applied for both). I rang CASA a couple of times but there was no one to take my call (Not sure where that extra $25mil they got in the budget went!). So I send off an email asking to have my licence amended to show Fixed Wing UAV. I get this reply...

Thank you for your email. I have checked over and confirmed that the fixed wing has been missed and not added to your UAV controller’s certificate. CASA requires the for 61-9LR to be submitted so we can log all errors. As we were at fault, a free authorisation document will be issued.

Now I'm not sure what an authorisation document is and thought it may cover the Form61-9LR so I sent this reply back...

Thanks Xxxxxx,

Do I need to do anything now or will you just send me the amended licence?

I got this reply today...

Good Morning,

Thank you for your email, as per Xxxxxx’s email we require you to complete Form 61-9LR for a licence resolution so we can log all our errors.

I have attached this form for your convenience.

Now remember this was their mistake and yet I have to fill in another form to 'log the error'. So I sent this back...

Thanks Xxxxx,

But now I’m confused. I do not hold a Part61 licence, the Form 61-9LR pertains to the new Part61 licence so how can I fill out a form for a licence I don’t hold as yet?

Why is it my responsibility to log CASA's errors! I didn’t made any errors in my application, shouldn’t the CASA employee who incorrectly processed my application log their error and then reprocess my application with the correct information?

I await their reply... pop;
Redude
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: More CASA idiocy!

Postby Redude » Fri Aug 21 2015, 06:04

Good Luck ;)
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Aug 21 2015, 12:59

Captain,

Your main problem is that you're trying to bring logic to the table. Take away all reason, sense, logic and valid thought and then try again with them.

Maybe pop a few nurofen before your next phone call or email with them mate.

Good luck. And I mean that.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Fri Aug 21 2015, 14:47

I've got time, I don't need the licence tomorrow and besides, I love a good stoush with bureaucracy! They've already admitted they were in the wrong so how is it now my problem to help fix it!! )c/

Whilst working at Ayers Rock in the early days of my career, the whole town experienced a sudden jump of 200-300% in their power bills for one quarter. I formed a coalition called 'People Against Power Suppliers Maliciously Extracting Additional Revenue' and raised the issue with the Ombudsman. It went back and forth a bit but in the end nothing happened. It's possible they didn't take us seriously due to the acronym formed by our name! :D
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Fri Aug 21 2015, 22:26

They need you to log the fault so that it can't be hidden by staff who might feel they are on the chopping block.
It might be interesting to see how many errors are logged. I had to log one when I received my first P61 licence and I know that I'm not alone.
Submit the paperwork and the new authorisation will be issued, for free.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Fri Aug 21 2015, 22:54

But that's THEIR Quality Management issue, not mine! Also it appears that lodgement of the Form 61-9LR first requires completion of the Form 61-9TX which I gather is required for the initial transfer and issue of a Part 61 licence.

There's a Monty Python comedy sketch here somewhere. I submit Form 1 that is correct but because they cock up the application I have to fill out Form 2 to fix it, but they can't use Form 2 until I fill out Form 3 that then allows them to use the Form 2 to correct the mistake THEY made when processing Form 1. )c/ )c/ )c/
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sat Aug 22 2015, 04:42

Jesus, retirement is looking better all the time.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sat Aug 22 2015, 06:56

Shouldn't it have been a trigger event requiring the issue of a part 61 license anyway?
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Sat Aug 22 2015, 11:01

Apparently not as they did issue the UAV Controllers Cerificate. It was a separate piece of paper, not part of my normal licence.
SuperSix1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SuperSix1 » Sun Aug 23 2015, 00:42

Hollywood, if CASA don't sort it tomorrow, give me a call and I will talk to some people and get it fixed. It really shouldn't be that hard. Certainly don't let it get mixed up in the Part 61 train-smash...
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Mon Aug 24 2015, 05:40

Thanks for the offer SuperSix1 but it appears common sense has prevailed. Received this from CASA today! :)

Good Afternoon,

We ask applicants to complete the form 61-9LR so we are able to track and record all issues. The licence resolution register identifies where we can make improvements in our process or communicate understanding of the licence structure.

We are looking at bringing in a Resolution for all applications and not just the 61 licence in the future but at this stage this is the form we use.

In this case though we have fixed up your Certificate and resent a copy of your UAV to the address on the system based off your email.
up-into-the-air
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby up-into-the-air » Tue Aug 25 2015, 07:55

Here we go again, the September missive by Skidmore shows that #casa are just not listening.

http://vocasupport.com/september-missive-released-by-casa/

and the release today of the #casa corporate plan.

A plan that will not assist either:

http://vocasupport.com/more-pain-for-australian-aviation-with-release-of-casa-corporate-plan/
up-into-the-air
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

New #casa Board Member

Postby up-into-the-air » Sat Sep 12 2015, 06:29

A new #casa board member was announced - Phillipa Stone. Another lawyer though - is this a foil for #casa legal services??

http://vocasupport.com/who-is-phillipa-stone-new-casa-board-appointment/
up-into-the-air
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: AOPA take the fight to #casa

Postby up-into-the-air » Sun Sep 20 2015, 01:17

here goes #casa again, but this time Marc de Stoop of #aopa is up to the task.

http://vocasupport.com/aopas-marc-de-st ... ions-casa/
up-into-the-air
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: More CASA idiocy - #asa follows in the mould

Postby up-into-the-air » Tue Sep 29 2015, 10:19

Oc:= The Senate now has the National Audit office investigating #asa [Air Services]

Do we need a further ANO investigation of #casa as well??

http://vocasupport.com/is-asa-corrupt-a ... s-houston/

Return to “CASA”