NHIndustries NH90 Helicopter (Details & Inside view)

antiguogrumete
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

NHIndustries NH90 Helicopter (Details & Inside view)

Postby antiguogrumete » Tue Apr 21 2020, 08:40

Some images of the NH90

https://youtu.be/xH_HuU0zLRE
Couch Monster
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: NHIndustries NH90 Helicopter (Details & Inside view)

Postby Couch Monster » Tue Apr 21 2020, 09:17

Has anyone here been close to these NH90's? What's the general consensus from the guys using them in the ADF? I know they grounded the entire fleet recently due to rear rotor vibration. Not sure what became of it.
Maybe I'm getting old and cynical, but I would have liked if the ADF stuck with the tried and proven UH-60. The Blackhawk has served us well for decades. Hopefully these new machines do well and it's not a waste of taxpayer money...like the Tiger :?

That's another story.. Any updates on the governments plans for a new attack helicopter?
I would love us to have the AH1Z or the AH-64.
(Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the pinheads in Canberra extended the contract with the Tiger)..
Helical
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Helical » Wed Apr 22 2020, 00:26

Tail rotor issue was minor, related to a scheduled upgraded part that hadn't yet been fitted to that aircraft. https://www.contactairlandandsea.com/20 ... tor-issue/

Interesting that you ask for user opinions on the MRH but rubbish the Tiger. All the guys I know involved with ARH rate it very highly, the problem isn't the airframe, it was the requirement at the time of contract (things like data links and UAS capability weren't a consideration) and Airbus supply chain. The Tigers get pushed hard in a a tough environment but have higher serviceability than Apaches.
Couch Monster
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Couch Monster » Wed Apr 22 2020, 00:50

I could be mistaken, but I remember hearing that the ARH was never used in a combat situation in Afghanistan. Was this true?
This is what made me question the value of the Tiger. Now, my opinion could be one that's baseless and unfounded, but it didn't make sense that the government would invest in assets that couldn't be utilised in combat.
Considering the nature of the European Union, it also makes me wonder why the Tiger wasn't adopted by more EU member states. The Netherlands and Great Britain went with the Apaches. I would have thought it in their best interest to invest funds into European contracts?
Mitch82

Postby Mitch82 » Wed Apr 22 2020, 02:44

French have used tiger heavily in Afghanistan, Mali and central Africa where by all accounts it performed well in very harsh conditions
Capt Slong
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Capt Slong » Wed Apr 22 2020, 02:55

Evidently the civilian refuellers at Bairnsdale loved the NH90 during the fires as they couldn't shut them down even when it was time to go for lunch.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed Apr 22 2020, 05:10

Couch Monster wrote:I could be mistaken, but I remember hearing that the ARH was never used in a combat situation in Afghanistan. Was this true?
This is what made me question the value of the Tiger. Now, my opinion could be one that's baseless and unfounded, but it didn't make sense that the government would invest in assets that couldn't be utilised in combat.
Considering the nature of the European Union, it also makes me wonder why the Tiger wasn't adopted by more EU member states. The Netherlands and Great Britain went with the Apaches. I would have thought it in their best interest to invest funds into European contracts?

I think you are making the same mistake I made:
Foolishly thinking the decision makers took into account how the helicopter/submarine/frigate would perform in it’s chosen role. A near overdose of Prozac led me to think briefly that some politician in charge of “defence” might even consider the crews relying on this equipment.

Back in reality, the taxpayers money is spent on the basis of promises, often worthless (price/performance/local components/other BS)

The defence minister responsible for the “Tiger” project should be In jail. (“If you buy this instead of the Apache, we will build an EC120 in Brisbane”)

The defence minister responsible for the “Sea Sprite” project should be executed for treason. (“I’ll paint a gun on a Volkswagen Beetle, if you need a tank to go with that”)
Couch Monster
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Couch Monster » Wed Apr 22 2020, 05:35

I remember being told by my father back in the early 2000's about that Tiger that crashed in QLD. Eurocopter were attempting to "woo" the government into buying the ARH. The thing crashed and the aircrew walked away from it unscathed. Somebody in the government was "so impressed with the helicopters survivability" that they awarded Eurocopter the tender.

:roll:

(Believe the crash occurred around 1998)?
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed Apr 22 2020, 05:41

Somebody in the government ..... awarded Eurocopter the tender.

There, I fixed it for you.

Anybody who thinks that, what the ADF asks for, and what the politicians choose, are the same thing, could be in the market for a nice bridge over a pretty harbour.
Couch Monster
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Couch Monster » Wed Apr 22 2020, 06:14

Eric Hunt wrote:
Somebody in the government ..... awarded Eurocopter the tender.

There, I fixed it for you.

Anybody who thinks that, what the ADF asks for, and what the politicians choose, are the same thing, could be in the market for a nice bridge over a pretty harbour.

What did you fix for me, exactly?
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Thu Apr 23 2020, 01:44

Politicians pay little attention to the actual aircraft, they have their eye on trying to win votes. The end result has little resemblance to what the ADF asked for.

Return to “Video Clips”