McDermott

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
J G

McDermott

Postby J G » Mon Nov 7 2022, 08:09

Anyone here ever worked for McDermott Aviation? Would you recommend it as a first job in the industry for someone who just completed their cpl?

Cheers
DragonFlyer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: McDermott

Postby DragonFlyer » Wed Nov 9 2022, 23:28

most of McDermotts contracts are 1500TT or higher with the average pilot being hired around the 5000hr mark
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself. :) :) :)
Jimmy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jimmy » Thu Nov 10 2022, 00:29

I would jump at the chance to work for McD if you are straight out of your training. They do AG work, fires, long line and everything in-between . You would be exposed to the type of work most people with 5 or more years in the industry are trying to break into.
Good luck.
Wannabe60Driver
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Thu Nov 10 2022, 00:44

Jimmy wrote:I would jump at the chance to work for McD if you are straight out of your training. They do AG work, fires, long line and everything in-between . You would be exposed to the type of work most people with 5 or more years in the industry are trying to break into.
Good luck.

And the most of all that you’ll do with a fresh CPL is drive the fuel truck (provided you have the correct ticket).
Chopper Guy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chopper Guy » Thu Nov 10 2022, 00:57

Wannabe60Driver wrote:
Jimmy wrote:I would jump at the chance to work for McD if you are straight out of your training. They do AG work, fires, long line and everything in-between . You would be exposed to the type of work most people with 5 or more years in the industry are trying to break into.
Good luck.

And the most of all that you’ll do with a fresh CPL is drive the fuel truck (provided you have the correct ticket).

And for the 12 months or so that you spend driving the fuel truck you'll;

* Probably have a great time!
* Be earning an income
* Meet a bunch of working pilots who all know other working pilots (aka start building your network)

An at the end of the 12 months you'll;

* Have a resume that can list "Fresh CPL with 12 months worth of industry experience"
* Be in a much better position to get a job because you were willing to go after it and not just sit on the couch complaining how there are no jobs are available for fresh CPL's!

Many of the pilots who you see flying around today (me included!) had a non-flying role as their first job in aviation. Like it or not, it's a proven pathway...
Jimmy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jimmy » Thu Nov 10 2022, 03:17

Wannabe60Driver wrote:
Good luck.

That's how I got my break, loader driver for an AG operation. That gave me seat time (Ferry flights and Cherry drying) in a B47 which led to a full-time pilot position, since then I've not stopped flying. If I didn't take that job I don't know if I'd be flying today.
J G

Postby J G » Thu Nov 10 2022, 05:39

Thanks everyone, yeah got the qualifications for the truck job. They were open about their minimum requirements for pilots and how this job wouldn't get me there without 1500 hours. Looking like a winner!

Return to “General Employment Questions”