First solo

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Gasket18
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

First solo

Postby Gasket18 » Thu Nov 11 2021, 11:38

Well today was the big one. Did my first solo. Didn't think it was actually going to happen as thunderstorms where predicted for my lesson. Luckily weather held off enough. Went out for 3 dual circuits. Made a few errors mainly due to nerves. Then instructor said I'm hopping out. My lift off was quite good, held a decent hover made all my checks, entered runway, did worst transition ever then set into circuit. A couple of fixed wins joined in circuit so got a bit busy. Then between that and rain coming in instructor called me in. Managed a decent taxi, touchdown was slightly heavy as I was trying to do a 1 movement lower (I've been sort of holding for a bit when I get to a few inches so overcorrected that) Taxid back to helipad and did a better touchdown on helipad. So nerve racking but far out so cool having my big boys pants on and getting my solo hat at the end. Hopefully nerves will start backing off a bit now and flying will improve faster.
Gunga Din
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: First solo

Postby Gunga Din » Thu Nov 11 2021, 21:15

Well done.

Now comes consolidation and the confidence that builds with every hour. But with confidence can come a feeling of invulnerability, and when a student gets to around 100 hours he thinks he knows it all but doesn't know Jack Schitt. Again at around 700 hours he is truly dangerous, but sometime around 1000 hours, he finds that all he needs to do is think about doing something, and it happens.

It has been said that if a surgeon wanted to separate the pilot from the aircraft, he wouldn't know where to make the first cut.
Arm, arm, I Gunga Din, the door slockt.
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Fri Nov 12 2021, 04:47

That’s bloody awesome!
Well done!! Enjoy the moment.
You will remember that for the rest of your life.
There is always an option.
Heliflyer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Heliflyer » Fri Nov 12 2021, 08:25

First solo is one of the most memorable moments in your flying career, well done!

Return to “Flight Training”