"Theory" ATPL(H) after CPL(H)

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
NILOC

"Theory" ATPL(H) after CPL(H)

Postby NILOC » Wed Jan 20 2021, 01:53

Hi all,

I intend to undertake the ATPL(H) theory exams now that I have finished my CPL(H) theory whilst it is still nice and fresh.

Would you suggest any further ATPL specific reading or just keep digging a little deeper into the AFT CPL theory?

For my CPL I self studied with AFT and PPE online.

Appreciate any guidance!
Thanks in advance!
Icefather
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: "Theory" ATPL(H) after CPL(H)

Postby Icefather » Thu Jan 21 2021, 01:28

I’d use the ATPL theory as there are differing exams to CPL and although some of the basics will be covered , they are expensive exams to find you haven’t studied enough of the right stuff.

Find the Syllabus for the exams and make sure what you study is covered.

IF
Fledgling

Postby Fledgling » Thu Jan 21 2021, 04:20

I would highly recommend the AFT syllabus. The online random question generators are great preparation and the practice exams are pretty close to the actual exams.
If buying the distance learning package in full is too hexy, there are secondhand books people sell which include the revision tests, but I wasn’t smart enough to pass on those alone.
AHUF, AMET and AALW aren’t too bad. The rest need specific content to give yourself the best chance and IMO AFT have written it quite well.

Good luck mate
Balibelly
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Balibelly » Thu Jan 21 2021, 04:52

Buy or borrow an AFT ATPL Course, only way to pass.
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Thu Jan 21 2021, 07:40

Human Factors is identical so just use your CPL Bob Tait book for that. Met is very similar but delves deeper into the BOM aviation Met book and higher altitude met products as it’s the same subject A380 drivers sit. AFT is the only way to go for everything other than AHUF as every other subject is different enough that you’ll have Buckley’s chance with CPL materials. I also reckon you’d find ATPL Nav difficult without IREX. For that, Bob Tait’s book is the only way to go.
NILOC

Postby NILOC » Thu Jan 21 2021, 08:45

Thanks everyone, that answers that!
Really appreciate your feedback!
Darph

Postby Darph » Fri Jan 22 2021, 04:58

Sorry to hi-jack the OP, but has anyone successfully passed ATPL exams recently utilising Online Aviation Theory (Ron Newman) course?

Return to “Flight Training”