Heli lease / Instructor (NZ)

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Chopchop89

Heli lease / Instructor (NZ)

Postby Chopchop89 » Wed Jun 10 2020, 08:37

Hey Team,

Looking for advice from anyone willing to provide it.

Is leasing a 300, R22 or R44 a viable option to undertake PPL / CPL training ?, I’m in the Manawatu (NZ) and providers are limited in my general area, if so what are the costs associated etc ?.

I’ve got a couple of hours in an R22 from quite a few years ago.

Also, if I was to try and source an instructor what’s the going hourly rate ?.

Feel free to flick me a message if you like.

Thanks
homersimpson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Heli lease / Instructor (NZ)

Postby homersimpson » Tue Jun 16 2020, 07:26

You’ll have to get one with insurance to do training in which costs a couple extra dollars. Make sure it’s on the certificate of insurance. Also kind of training (as in ab initio/solo students/etc).

Going rate for 44 is around $450 (In Oz) per hour dry. Add fuel and oil about $150 per hour. Add landing fees/parking.

Add ferry flights to and from maintenance every 50 hrs or when it stops working getting an engineer out there.

Instructor anywhere from $500 to $1500 per day plus travel expenses plus food and boarding.

So if you fly 7 hours a day to get that license it might be worth it, otherwise better to drive a couple hours every weekend and go to a school with good facilities. Unless you’re cashed up and after convenience.

Not sure about NZ prices.

Other opinions would be interesting.
garly1
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby garly1 » Tue Jun 16 2020, 10:22

I did it this way mate and it worked out well. My advice would be to get all your exams done first and a medical. That way if someone leases you a heli over winter for example they won't be waiting for you. I did all my exams and KDR's and it took 4 months full time. The flying side of it took about 4 months too, pretty much full time as the weather and workload allowed. The RSAT thing has made it more difficult here in NZ so may be easier in a 300.
Chopchop89

Postby Chopchop89 » Tue Jun 16 2020, 20:59

Thanks for info chaps, I’ve been able to get some strong leads on a 300 to lease so I’ll definitely start the theory side of things sooner rather than later.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Tue Jun 16 2020, 21:26

you wont fly 7 hours per day trying to get a licence. The best you can do to start is 1-2 hrs per day.

Good weather you will manage 1 hr in the morning and then 1 hr in the afternoon. Any more than that is a waste of time, you get overloaded and learn nothing and your training goes backwards. As you get a bit more experience you may be able to stretch it out a little, if you have to ferry to a training area, but if you can train 7 hrs per day then your instructor isn't moving your training forward at the pace that you learn.
garly1
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby garly1 » Tue Jun 16 2020, 23:30

Don't think anyone said you would be flying 7 hours a day?
From memory I think we averaged around 2/3 hours flying a day depending on what we were doing. Like SuperF said some days took more of a toll than others but as far as learning goes its hard to beat having a private instructor.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Wed Jun 17 2020, 21:24

homersimpson wrote:You’ll have to get one with insurance to do training in which costs a couple extra dollars. Make sure it’s on the certificate of insurance. Also kind of training (as in ab initio/solo students/etc).

Going rate for 44 is around $450 (In Oz) per hour dry. Add fuel and oil about $150 per hour. Add landing fees/parking.

Add ferry flights to and from maintenance every 50 hrs or when it stops working getting an engineer out there.

Instructor anywhere from $500 to $1500 per day plus travel expenses plus food and boarding.

So if you fly 7 hours a day to get that license it might be worth it, otherwise better to drive a couple hours every weekend and go to a school with good facilities. Unless you’re cashed up and after convenience.

Not sure about NZ prices.

Other opinions would be interesting.

Didn't want anyone reading that and thinking they would have a licence in a couple of weeks....
garly1
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby garly1 » Thu Jun 18 2020, 01:35

Agree 100% with SuperF there is no way you will be flying 7 hours a day, sorry missed that in homersimpsons reply!
homersimpson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby homersimpson » Fri Jun 19 2020, 10:00

Yeah sorry guys, just meant it doesn’t make sense to get a private instructor if you’re not going to use him while he’s there. Unless you don’t care about the money.
Adventure Rider

Postby Adventure Rider » Sun Jun 21 2020, 09:20

Chopchop. I am a current B-cat Instructor living in the Manawatu. I might be able to help you out.
but no promises. I'm new to this site and not that familiar with its workings.
Adventure Rider

Postby Adventure Rider » Sun Jun 21 2020, 12:38

Chopchop
I live in the Manawatu and may be able to help. Tried to send you a PM but it didn't appear to send. Not sure what's going on.
Ben Slocombe
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ben Slocombe » Tue Jun 23 2020, 07:04

Adventure Rider wrote:Chopchop
I live in the Manawatu and may be able to help. Tried to send you a PM but it didn't appear to send. Not sure what's going on.

I think this site is programmed to only allow private messages after you have posted 3 times to prevent spam. Make another post here and then try your PM again.
Adventure Rider

Postby Adventure Rider » Wed Jun 24 2020, 07:10

Cheers Ben.....Got it sorted.

Return to “Flight Training”