Dramatic crash caught on camera in USA

Got a good story? Tell it here.
Footprint Productions
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Dramatic crash caught on camera in USA

Postby Footprint Productions » Thu Nov 26 2015, 01:16

Hi all,

This just got sent to me, very dramatic crash in the states, from what the news said, 2 people died. Very sad.

Any thoughts to what happened? Seems to take so long to get it on the ground, then the obvious tail strike.

Maybe the landing gear was damaged?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnuvFLmwp1Q

Regards
Matthew
bl@ckers
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Dramatic crash caught on camera in USA

Postby bl@ckers » Thu Nov 26 2015, 01:40

Ground resonance leading to tail strike??

Maybe instead of filming the camera operator could have alerted someone or tried to find a fire extinguisher?
kiwiflyer
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kiwiflyer » Thu Nov 26 2015, 01:57

Looks like a lot of over controlling leading up to tail rotor strike and probably causing the tail rotor strike, maybe a good reason who knows.
It did not want to give up anyway.
Not sure what exactly you would have done with a fire extinguisher mate because i would not be going anywhere near it until it had at least stopped doing the spinning thing......but thats just me
HeliflyerNZ
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HeliflyerNZ » Thu Nov 26 2015, 02:13

Looks like there's a red trolley they were going for behind the car. Only catch a quick glimpse of it just before it all goes pear shaped. Seems the heli lands on the edge and tips off the back? Bit too keen to get the collective down maybe.
windslapper

Postby windslapper » Thu Nov 26 2015, 05:49

I hear the trolly cart did not have the brakes on. That being said if you're not sure just land on the ground and walk away. rule number one is to always walk away.
pop;
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Thu Nov 26 2015, 06:54

Very sad out come.
RIP to those victims and condolences to family and friends.

Dolly's are very technical to land on.
Size, position in wind, wheels locked,pilot ability and so.
Add a squirrel into the mix and this is exact what can happen when $hit goes horribly wrong.

I have heard I few stories to go along with this event. And I am still in shock from watching this video.

Plenty of lessens can be drawn from this mishap, and I will leave it up to you all to draw your own conclusions.

I must say that the person behind the camera at the time would be very shocked to have whitenessed such a tragic event.
Everyone acts different in times of crisis.

Some stand there in shock and there are others that act without concern for their own safety.

In this case I believe there is not much anyone could have done to save the souls onboard.
That machine would have continued to spin until the fuel was cut off or ran out.
Horrible either way.
There is always an option.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Thu Nov 26 2015, 07:58

Not a very good pic but you get the idea, he's half off the trolley and continues to descend. The rear then 'drops' down quite dramatically and the tail smacks into the ground.

Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Thu Nov 26 2015, 09:23

For this kind of or similar scenario, I incorporate into my safety briefing where the fuel shut off is (obviously some airframes are more accessible to pax than others)......whether or not it would have made a difference post impact here in this accident its something to consider if you don't already do it.
That spinning on the ground would get anyone extremely disorientated very quick. Pretty lucky it didn't take out the parked fuel tanker.
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Thu Nov 26 2015, 09:40

Hard to see zoomed in on an iPhone.
But dose that dolly look very under sized?
There is always an option.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Thu Nov 26 2015, 18:58

Up until 15 seconds all looks good, but from there the over controlling is obvious. I remember learning to land on a trailer & it is a daunting task, landing too far back is a common trap in any machine & a squirrel is even more difficult due to the pilots seat location relative to the skids & c of g. Inexperience leading to over controlling is my conclusion. I don't envy anyone trying to stop the machine spinning on the ground like that, drive a vehicle into it? The fuel truck was close by, but that might not have ended well!!
"Plan twice...Fly once"

Return to “There I was...”