Helicopter missing off the coast north of Newcastle

What have you heard?
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Helicopter missing off the coast north of Newcastle

Postby Rotorpilot » Thu Sep 12 2019, 19:28

They may have been unable to control direction leading up to the catastrophic failure. The last few mins looks to lend itself to that conclusion.
Attachments
_20190913_053733.JPG
FB_IMG_1568316165364.jpg
Dem winds are gonna blow
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Sep 13 2019, 05:15

Rotorpilot wrote:They may have been unable to control direction leading up to the catastrophic failure. The last few mins looks to lend itself to that conclusion.

Until the ATSB release their report we will not know with much certainty what actually happened. The fluctuations in the airspeed and altitude referenced in the above post could have been from a number of things (strong winds with turbulent conditions, equipment/component failure, disorientation, loss of SA etc).

Informally, the majority of people inside the industry who have discussed this accident - more so as an opportunity to learn from it - have suggested that the weather was marginal in terms of suitability at the time of the accident owing largely to the passage of a strong front and associated gusty winds and reduced visibility due to dust. Combined with moderate to severe turbulence in the area, those who have flown aircraft such as 206/205/212 have mentioned that the conditions at the time may not have been conducive to safely operating a helicopter with a two-bladed system given the risk of negative-G and unloading the disc (with normally catastrophic outcomes).

Perhaps more importantly, flying after last light will also form a part of the ATSB investigation as anecdotal evidence suggests the PIC had neither a NVFR or an instrument rating.

Condolences to the family and friends. Very sad!
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Mon Sep 16 2019, 09:52

Well said FF.
Word on the street is, they have no idea where the hull is.
I’m told the ATSB/ Gov agencies are working with the Navy to deploy and utilise proper technology in an attempt to find the wreck and POB.
Pretty sad situation for all involved and our industry in general.
One would think in 2019, resources and technology at hand could have done better up till now.
(No disrespect intended to those who have been involved on the front line.)
Maybe not enough funding, or too little too late..
All Respect to all those directly and indirectly involved ATM.
Sh/tty situation.
GF
There is always an option.
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby lowlevelhell » Sat Sep 21 2019, 03:52

Has this thing been recovered/salvaged yet or is it still "missing"?
No bucks? No Buck Rogers! 8)
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Sat Sep 21 2019, 11:24

From the press, the search hasn’t resulted in any sign of the wreckage as yet.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby lowlevelhell » Sat Sep 21 2019, 13:05

Twistgrip wrote:From the press, the search hasn’t resulted in any sign of the wreckage as yet.

Doesn't instill much confidence in the rescue services, either civil or military...
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Sun Sep 22 2019, 07:56

lowlevelhell wrote:
Twistgrip wrote:From the press, the search hasn’t resulted in any sign of the wreckage as yet.

Doesn't instill much confidence in the rescue services, either civil or military...

Hasn’t been missing for as long as MH370 yet.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sun Sep 22 2019, 09:51

The seas around Newcastle were horrendous for at least six days after the aircraft went missing with huge swells and lots of chop. The wreckage could very well be anywhere and possibly covered with sand making it next to impossible to find. Instead of criticising the search crews, the PIC that put those onboard into the situation in the first place should be the only one copping all of the flak!
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Sun Sep 22 2019, 10:47

You have obviously never been involved in SAR ops, or you wouldn't show ignorance like that. I speak from experience on both sides of the fence, and particularly in the area off Willy.

Very small target, big moving seas and winds, and as Evil says, the sand might have covered it already. There is an abundance of stray metal in the oggin out there, I was involved in putting some of it there. Detectors will have a hell of a time..
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Sun Sep 22 2019, 11:49

Despite my history of being facetious, ( https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj4q-6GreTkAhVw4nMBHagKCCcQFjAEegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.cambridge.org%2Fdictionary%2Fenglish%2Ffacetious&usg=AOvVaw1EHeryoLDbM8GYkwzcv9lc ) and having never experienced a water landing to the point of submersion, my question is regarding our ELTs.

Do they not work underwater? As in no "ping" for location? I understand that the battery can't last forever if the search carries on...but...it seems like a design thing that should be solvable?

Bang"also ping"equals bad.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sun Sep 22 2019, 13:29

Depending on the aircraft type and operation, some aircraft are fitted with devices like this:

https://www.dukaneseacom.com/products/a ... /dk120-90/

Highly doubtful that the Huey was fitted with one.

I think a few posters before me have sufficiently covered the earlier remark aimed at the SAR and recovery efforts :roll:

Bang...on a lighter note, your sign off reminds me of this 'genuine fake news' clip following the Asiana airlines accident...

https://youtu.be/8qcch0hKwec
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Sep 22 2019, 19:56

lowlevelhell wrote:Doesn't instill much confidence in the rescue services, either civil or military...

The setup they were using for their last refuel at Coffs doesn’t instill much confidence in any of their operation, before either civil or military rescue services were even involved.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sun Sep 22 2019, 22:10

bangequalsbad wrote:Despite my history of being facetious, ( https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj4q-6GreTkAhVw4nMBHagKCCcQFjAEegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.cambridge.org%2Fdictionary%2Fenglish%2Ffacetious&usg=AOvVaw1EHeryoLDbM8GYkwzcv9lc ) and having never experienced a water landing to the point of submersion, my question is regarding our ELTs.

Do they not work underwater? As in no "ping" for location? I understand that the battery can't last forever if the search carries on...but...it seems like a design thing that should be solvable?

Bang"also ping"equals bad.

I would have little to no confidence in an ELT providing any useful information as they are so woefully unreliable, without even looking at the chances of operation in the water. Most of the time on land they fail to activate however, it appears that this aircraft, from the ADSB data available would have hit with sufficient force to activate the g switch.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Sun Sep 22 2019, 23:01

"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Mon Sep 23 2019, 00:09

FerrariFlyer wrote:Depending on the aircraft type and operation, some aircraft are fitted with devices like this:

https://www.dukaneseacom.com/products/a ... /dk120-90/

Highly doubtful that the Huey was fitted with one.

I think a few posters before me have sufficiently covered the earlier remark aimed at the SAR and recovery efforts :roll:

Bang...on a lighter note, your sign off reminds me of this 'genuine fake news' clip following the Asiana airlines accident...

https://youtu.be/8qcch0hKwec

Thanks for that.
I would want one of those on the ship if I was spending any time over the big (or little) blue, if only for recovery of bodies and some closure to those involved, but in the best case to retrieve the airframe to find out what went wrong.

Bang"pilot-error"eqalsbad.
lowlevelhell
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby lowlevelhell » Mon Sep 23 2019, 09:40

Jabberwocky wrote:
lowlevelhell wrote:Doesn't instill much confidence in the rescue services, either civil or military...

The setup they were using for their last refuel at Coffs doesn’t instill much confidence in any of their operation, before either civil or military rescue services were even involved.

Please elaborate?...
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Thu Sep 26 2019, 06:11

Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Sep 27 2019, 01:04

lowlevelhell wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:

Please elaborate?...

I’m sure it will come out in due course. I’d put my money on anyone involved in the rescue having done their best given the circumstances.

Return to “I heard...”