Article on pilot shortage around the world

What have you heard?
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Article on pilot shortage around the world

Postby Hello Pilots » Wed Jul 10 2019, 22:58

Interesting article but nothing new.
I work in more of the utility sector and can say pretty much everyone that I work with should the opportunity arise would jump ship at the drop of a hat. Why wouldn’t you.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Jul 11 2019, 04:59

It’s a cry baby article pitching for others to throw money in the pot to keep their pilot training ponzu scheme going.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
kiwiflyer
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kiwiflyer » Thu Jul 11 2019, 20:30

So the author of this article is a the owner of a flight school by the way it reads
He is having a cry about his instructors not being able to live off the wages he pays them.
If he wants to make a change he could start by putting the rates up on his helicopters to pay his instructors better. Then the whole industry needs to do the same which as we all know will never happen.
If the business survives then good and well, if not then it’s not a viable business option, if he chooses to stay operating at a reduced rate then he is the one doing it for love.
All helicopter company’s will not pay anymore than they have to and then cry because they can’t get the people they want flying schools right through to big company’s.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Sun Jul 14 2019, 08:11

I welcome the ex-mil and more experienced heli pilots vacuum to regionals stateside. Less people stuck in lower pay jobs and not progressing UP.
Plus raising wages due market.

People upgrading sooner. Into VFR 135 gigs not necessarily attached to/only flown by CFIs etc.
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Sun Jul 14 2019, 09:12

Speaking of stateside regionals, a mate who was an experienced pilot stuck in VFR heli in cairns went and did the 6 month conversion in states.
last week he got selected to go straight onto the Embraer 175 with ground school starting next week.. Captain upgrade in 12 months or so...

He is winning big time...
Eastwoodblade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Eastwoodblade » Sun Jul 14 2019, 09:48

Bladepitch PM sent
Rotary as in not the Wankel engine...
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Jul 14 2019, 11:00

If anyone needs some help with regionals in the US give me a shout. I also have a direct link to the recruiter at Frontier who may be starting E3 program, they fly a320’s and will also have a quick upgrade.

I did just under three years on the regionals and flew about 2300 hours and about 1000 of that as captain on embraers. Now flying a new g500 gulfstream as captain and an ec135 off a yacht. Was worth the time in the regionals to kick start my jet career.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Sun Jul 14 2019, 11:17

Some of us eventually sober up from the heli dreams high and subsequent no-job/CASA/indebted/lost decade induced hangover.

All else fails we just go for airlines, right?

Would rather fly Twin Otter floats AND heli off yacht, combo. But Gulfstreams are just fancy jet powered glider beauties.

TBH for Euro/Oz bound guys A320 off the bat is more handy if they plan to return. 175 is heavy enough I believe to be OK for some Sandpit jobs to upgrade to long haul fleet as that is not as quick stateside.

Yes most guys on this forum should know the E3 and what it helps with, subject to aeronautical experience/total hours. Heck, I may even timebuild in experimental or glider, if need be, haha. Maybe just not Jabiru and not just because I am heavy for the light two seaters.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Jul 14 2019, 11:34

ChicoCheco wrote:Some of us eventually sober up from the heli dreams high and subsequent no-job/CASA/indebted/lost decade induced hangover.

All else fails we just go for airlines, right?

Would rather fly Twin Otter floats AND heli off yacht, combo. But Gulfstreams are just fancy jet powered glider beauties.

TBH for Euro/Oz bound guys A320 off the bat is more handy if they plan to return. 175 is heavy enough I believe to be OK for some Sandpit jobs to upgrade to long haul fleet as that is not as quick stateside.

Yes most guys on this forum should know the E3 and what it helps with, subject to aeronautical experience/total hours. Heck, I may even timebuild in experimental or glider, if need be, haha. Maybe just not Jabiru and not just because I am heavy for the light two seaters.

You can have the twin otter pay, I’ll take the Gulfstream pay thanks (which is legacy mainline CA Pay in the USA airlines). Before you start poo pooing the Jet world, you might want to dip your toe in first.
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Sun Jul 14 2019, 20:41

havick wrote:
You can have the twin otter pay, I’ll take the Gulfstream pay thanks (which is legacy mainline CA Pay in the USA airlines). Before you start poo pooing the Jet world, you might want to dip your toe in first.

What!?!
This forum was not designed for informed opinions man!
Go back to your successful career and leave the monkeys who haven’t/can’t/won’t make it hurl poo at the keyboard!

Bangers and mash.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Mon Jul 15 2019, 00:57

Do I need to put :x :P :cry: :twisted: :shock: :idea: :D :) :D :D in everything? Sheesh

Rather adore bizjets design than the type of lifestyle for being crew. Thought that liking Twotter on floats would show I am neither starry eyes jet wannabe nor light piston only hobbyist.

Having been involved in rotary doesn't mean one only does that as some of you know.

Oh, trust me I know plenty of airline/jet charter ops stuff from enough aviation friends in person, to have preference without having worked it.

The -all else fails remark- was also that there are other aspects/ops/types of jobs more interesting than standard "121" as the Yanks would say.
Same reason some of us started with rotary aspirations. Success is relative and about timing also, not just money and persistence.

Either way, you guys start discourse on E3 and fixed wing stuff here on rotary forum. I took the bait.

Can we just get back/be less argumentative?
The article quoted is heli school and about suitable heli crew coming out of training and available for jobs.

Still not that applicable to Australia..
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Mon Jul 15 2019, 07:24

Bang, will gladly make you wrong if you add me to the monkeys who dont and cant, pool.

Easy to misinterpret and get peeved, over and over. Some take note and not bother to post anything on BS.

I only prioritised moving to Australia past nearly decade and on/off living here last 6.

I SABOTAGED my own aviation career by some silly old plans and not staying in US/UK/old continent.
Silly me pushing back here from too easy airline jobs to get.

Even 7 years rusty CPL grads got into Ryanair at minimal upfront cost in 2017/18.
Instead I let my ATPL exams lapse and get here again.

I didn't learn lesson with CASA back in 2013/14. Or them messing about with some docs 2015.

Return to “I heard...”