3rd Dan

More drone buffoonery

Postby Evil Twin » Wed Jan 2 2019, 04:10

kiwiflyer
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: More drone buffoonery

Postby kiwiflyer » Wed Jan 2 2019, 20:19

There have been several near misses with drones and helicopters in NZ, it’s a shame that not a lot happens until it’s the police helicopter that has a near miss.
I wonder if it was a normal commercial machine would the story have gained the same traction.
Either way I hope they get on top of it for everyone’s sake.
Icefather
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Icefather » Wed Jan 2 2019, 20:34

kiwiflyer wrote:There have been several near misses with drones and helicopters in NZ, it’s a shame that not a lot happens until it’s the police helicopter that has a near miss.
I wonder if it was a normal commercial machine would the story have gained the same traction.
Either way I hope they get on top of it for everyone’s sake.

Unfortunately @kiwiflyer is right. It probably wouldn’t. However I think it’s more to do with general public perception, some comments read suggest that their mentality is a drone wouldn’t do any damage to a helicopters blade. So they can do what they want and ignore all of the rules.

I think that until either someone does collide with one and there is even loss of life it will continue to be an major hazard for any of us flying. I hope the Big man is on my side that day and it’s not me or anyone I know.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Wed Jan 2 2019, 23:11

I’ve no doubt that this is a much bigger issue than is currently publicised, we should probably be working to make it much more obvious so that the relevant authorities can take some action.

Return to “I heard...”