Any useful exams to take for low hour pilot?

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!
nuggs
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Any useful exams to take for low hour pilot?

Postby nuggs » Sun Dec 13 2020, 06:34

With around 500 hours is there any exams that could be useful to take? i have thought about ATPLS or IREX but both seem not very useful unless there is a job available as i would most likely forget the content by the time i get to use it.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Any useful exams to take for low hour pilot?

Postby havick » Sun Dec 13 2020, 07:50

Get them all out of the way now, better to have them and not need them than let a job slip by down the road.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Sun Dec 13 2020, 21:38

havick wrote:Get them all out of the way now, better to have them and not need them than let a job slip by down the road.

Exactly. I’ve seen 1,500 hour fixed-wing pilots stuck teaching on Cessnas because they simply couldn’t afford the time off to study for their IREX and ATPLs. Without those, the airlines wouldn’t touch them.

The rotary world is different obviously but imagine you’re a recruiter looking at two 500 hour CVs and one has IREX. It shows a commitment to constantly improving yourself.
Chopper Guy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chopper Guy » Mon Dec 14 2020, 04:50

Hey Mate

Probably worth asking where do you want to end up?

If you want to end up off shore / EMS then yeah, definitely get the ATPL’S and IREX exams out of the way…

Having said that, there are a heap of career paths in Heli’s that don’t need those qualifications. In which case, I’d look at either doing your Instructor exam (once again, if this career path interests you) or dare I say it, just spend your time rehashing the fundamentals.

There are plenty of 500 hour pilots flying scenics who stumble when you start asking about specific aircraft specs – Eg. MR Diameter, MR Tip Speed etc). Sure, knowing how fast the MR spins won’t necessarily make you a ‘safer pilot’ but it sure will impress your current / next employer if you can roll that stuff off your tongue.

CG
nuggs
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby nuggs » Tue Dec 15 2020, 07:09

helpful replies. I am not too sure if i want to do ems or offshore yet but i have some down time whilst the weather is crappy here so thought if they are useful might as well get them out the way now.
stubble

Postby stubble » Wed Dec 16 2020, 22:48

G'day Nuggs,

I'm with Havick, get them all out of the way, you never know what will come up later on and it's a lot easier if you have the exams already done!

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”