HeliOps 2021 Calendar Giveaway

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

HeliOps 2021 Calendar Giveaway

Postby Heli-Ops » Mon Dec 21 2020, 04:46

Well this years giveaway will be slightly different since we are in the middle of one right royally Farq'd up world.

I know some of you here on the forum have been laid off and my thoughts are with you.

To qualify for the 2021 Calendars all you have to do is post on this thread and tell us what your 2020 has been like. Please no one or two word answers - give a good explanation - good, bad or ugly.

And here is the twist - I am going to allow each person who makes a genuine post to choose TWO ​​​​​​calendars from the options which are the HeliOps (Civil) one and the HeliOps Frontline (Military) one. When you send me a PM with your name and postal address you can ALSO send me the name and postal address of a colleague or friend who might need one, like one, or deserve one. And no you cant choose two for yourself - its about showing kindness in this s#!t of a time to someone else - have a think - then send me the PM with BOTH names and addresses at one time and which calendar you want sent to which address.

This offer will be here for the next seven days.

Ned
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: HeliOps 2021 Calendar Giveaway

Postby Yakking » Mon Dec 21 2020, 10:16

It's been a pretty good year for me.

As COVID was kicking into full swing, we transitioned from an aging fleet of analogue aircraft to brand new 139's. We went from always operating in the 2.5min take off margin, to not being able to get near it.

It's been tough hearing the horror stories of the industry and seeing not only good pilots, but good mates doing it tough. Many will never fly again and are leaving or have already left the industry.

It's been tough seeing the stagnation within the industry and again seeing mates trying to make the leap across to multi engine IFR, but without any real opportunities presenting themselves and competing against Offshore guys who already have “time on type”, multi time and IFR quals. To me at least; there doesn’t currently seem to be any clear path from being a Day VFR single engine driver to the multi-crew, multi-engine world.

Through more arse than class, I have ended up in a secure job, flying new aircraft doing work that I genuinely find interesting.

Bring on 2021, it can’t be any worse than this year.
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Chang739
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chang739 » Mon Dec 21 2020, 22:28

Not as exciting as getting a new fleet of 139's, but I finally passed my CPL flight test! Took me a few years because money was tight but 2020 was the year to make it happen. I really do count myself lucky here in WA, as even during the worst of the restrictions flight training was still underway. Not many people can say they chased sharks away from beachgoers mid-test, so that was fun.

My usual FIFO employment let me continue to work from home for a few months (not as fun as it sounds); again very lucky to keep my job when so many were/are affected.

All in all, despite the uncertainty, I've had a fairly good 2020. Here's hoping 2021 is better for everyone.
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Tue Dec 22 2020, 03:02

my 2020 started out pretty sweet, id already left my industry late 2019 to start in the heli industry, did 1 pretty sweet winery job in January...

Decided to go back to my other industry while i was looking for a full time commercial job.... Then Covid.... So I stayed working full time through out the pandemic and lock downs in Melbourne.

And now its almost 2021. Lets just all hope it is better and the Industry can bounce back more next year.
As fixing HVAC equipment is no where near as fun as working in Aviation!
Heliflyer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Heliflyer » Tue Dec 22 2020, 03:06

After quite a few years of flying charter part time I completed my Instructor Rating near the end of 2019, and was looking forward to some casual instructing work in 2020. All was OK until the sh*t hit the fan at the end of February, and because of the COVID shutdown I didn't fly again until around September. Fortunately it's started to pick up a bit now, and I am getting some hours. Definitely sucks not flying, especially after you just honed all those flying and instructing skills to a fine edge! Apart from that my regular job has been OK, and still working remote, as I work for an essential service. Have had 2 holidays in my home state which is great, still counting my blessings really as we live in the best country in the world. :cool_dc:
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Tue Dec 22 2020, 23:27

Where do I start. 2020 was already quickly going down hill after being told I had terminal bowel cancer. Stopped flying in late August after diagnosis. Left a job that was great thinking I had nothing I could do in aviation. Very pleased that I was offered a job as operations manager of a company that I've know as a very good operator for many years. So the later half of 2020 has improved for me greatly. Chemo treatment is going to be never ending and my doctor is saying now that I'll likely die "with it than of it". Although he has told me numerous times I could be hit by a bus at any time.
So all in all even with the dramas and problems of Covid I'm doing okay.
Oh, and just to make it even more interesting even though this happened in 2019, while I was in the my doctors office, I got a phone call from my wife telling me she had confirmed breast cancer, 20 minutes later my guy told me that there was no way he could sugar coat the news that the thing in my bum would definitely be cancer.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Wed Dec 23 2020, 22:56

Sounds like you've had a proper s@#t sandwich this year HIP. I am genuinely sorry to hear that news but the chemo news is somewhat encouraging. Hopefully next year brings some good news your way.

As a touring offshore driver, I feel fortunate to have kept my job though the varied work rosters have been a real challenge for everyone. Many have moved from 2/2 or 3/3 schedules to 6/6 tours which is extremely hard on individuals and families alike. Coupled with isolation/lock down away from home, touring is a hard gig at present. Far from ideal, but unemployment is even less ideal. Just ask many of our fixed-wing brethren.

Best wishes for the next year and thanks to Ned for his generous offer.
cupid stunt
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby cupid stunt » Thu Dec 24 2020, 09:39

HIP I can only second what FF has to say. I will message privately once this account has that privelidge as I have only just joined after being a long term lurker.

I have spent a long time away from home this year with very little of that intended. My employer has shown little to no understanding of my situation, that said many many others have done it much worse so I feel very lucky. We can all benefit by looking our for our mates and our mates looking out for us, everyones situation is different.

Lets all hope that 2021 is a bit less stupid and a lot more common sense is displayed all around.
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli-Ops » Fri Dec 25 2020, 02:30

Remember everyone who has posted to message me your postal address and also your colleague who you want me to send one to as well.

Ned
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Little Bird » Fri Dec 25 2020, 16:11

I can't believe it's December 25th!!! I remember March vividly, the month that wouldn't seem to end, seems so long ago now. What a year...
We started off overseas with a vague idea of returning home in the middle of the year. Suddenly the tragic crash involving Kobe, and news of a virus in China made tuning in to the daily news a bit more important. Living in Asia, everyone wears masks anyway so no big deal. But checking into hotels and having door staff take your temperature, incorrectly, made it seem a bit of a joke. But then covid made its way to Italy, Australia and the US and then it wasn't.
Our vague plan of June suddenly became a rush in March and organizing a shipping container, 3 pets and our own airline tickets at a time when flights were cancelled with little notice, transit ports shut-down and quarantine became real made it seem like a movie, although far too real.
I tour offshore in the Gulf and when oil suddenly went negative I was sure I'd lose my job. There was talk of company mergers, customers closing doors and furloughs...but luckily, thankfully, for me, I survived, for the moment at least. I feel guilty though, for many of my mates that lost work, while many have secured something else, there's still so many not so lucky.
My wife took a short furlough but back at work again, from home, was great for the time together on my off-time. We both started hobbies that we'd thought about but put off for various reasons, now there was too much time on ones hands.
So we've done ok this year. Thankfully. But the year wasn't done for us yet, into my first week back on the job, a phone call from home and my mum has leukemia. I can't go home and I don't know when I'll be able to. So, f*ck 2020.
It could always be worse so we count our blessings. But to all reading, a Merry Christmas and I hope the coming year brings a bit more cheer.
Take care.
PS. Thanks Ned.
Heli-Ops
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Heli-Ops » Sun Dec 27 2020, 03:02

Anyone else interested in this offer as dont have a lot left.
TreeTrimmer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TreeTrimmer » Sun Dec 27 2020, 13:53

Flying in power line utility sector through the craziness of this year, we have got through fairly well unscathed & it has pretty much remained the same as every other year. Got to keep the lights on for everyone! Despite a few challenges moving crews between states & dealing with the different boarder restriction hurdles, we only experienced a few short delays to our flying programs. Biggest issue has been on the maintenance side, with our engineers not being able to travel interstate due to the every changing restrictions, so always had to have a plan B in place. Otherwise all systems normal.
Little Bird
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Little Bird » Wed Jan 13 2021, 18:59

Pleasantly surprised to open the mailbox yesterday and find a delivery from NZ!! Calendar looks great, thanks Ned.
Chang739
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chang739 » Fri Jan 22 2021, 22:59

Calendar arrived in the mail, its proudly on my fridge. Thanks Ned, great pictures!
Heliflyer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Heliflyer » Tue Jan 26 2021, 00:39

Cheers Ned.

20210126_113332_resized (Custom).jpg

Return to “On the Job”