IFR Instructor for my SECIR

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
bl@ckers
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

IFR Instructor for my SECIR

Postby bl@ckers » Sat May 18 2019, 05:58

I have access to at IFR Kiowa, which I would like to use to complete my instrument rating, just need an instructor to do the training. Anyone able and interested?
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: IFR Instructor for my SECIR

Postby Fill-level » Sat May 18 2019, 07:34

Have you got access to a Part 141 that allows IFR training ?, if so I may be able to help with access to instructor and a final test for the rating with an FE
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sat May 18 2019, 07:37

Interesting, there are probably a few people that would be interested in doing this however, not quite so simple as the provider will need a 141 approval to operate under. Do you have access to a sim also as 40 hrs in the aircraft would be expensive even if the hrs are relatively cheap.
bl@ckers
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby bl@ckers » Sat May 18 2019, 07:45

Unfortunately I don’t have access to a Part 141 with IFR training approval, so that is also another hurdle.

It will all be in the aircraft, no sim.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Sat May 18 2019, 08:06

Without the use of a Part 141 with IFR training approval .. you're stuck in limbo ...
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Imout » Sat May 18 2019, 20:37

Blockers is the KIOWA actually certified IFR on the MR with an autopilot or has it just got some instruments on board enabling IFR training scenarios in VMC??
Big difference.
Just curious
bl@ckers
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby bl@ckers » Sat May 18 2019, 20:45

It is in the process of being fitted with autopilot and everything necessary to be certified as IFR on the MR.
Vortexsting

Postby Vortexsting » Sun May 19 2019, 03:07

If you find a school let me know,

Atm all i know are:

Rotorlift
PHS
Kestral
Beckers

cant wait to see a job that offers to internally train or even offer this rating as a salary sacrifice.
I guess ill keep dreaming while enjoying the purr of a lycoming 6 cylinder.
Balibelly
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Balibelly » Sun May 19 2019, 05:57

Is this the machine that may be operating out of YBSU?
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Imout » Mon May 20 2019, 00:21

deleted
Last edited by Imout on Mon May 20 2019, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
bl@ckers
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby bl@ckers » Mon May 20 2019, 01:09

Well said! Unfortunately self funding is now the only real way to progress in this industry.

It is disappointing that we are not able to opt for a return of service bond, I for one think that is fair and reasonable!

If only CASA had left the co pilot IR.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Mon May 20 2019, 02:28

CASA are only reacting to international standards being pushed by ICAO.

Get used to it now , with EASA pushing there own standards , things will only get even more difficult .

As Mike said , you now have to take a massive loan or sell your house.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Mon May 20 2019, 02:37

Mike Becker wrote:You cannot salary sacrifice, you can't offer a return of service, you can't legally do any of that without AFAP coming down on you once someone decides they want to complain.

Options are
1. Pay for it yourself prior to employment
2. Obtain employment, the Company then does it for you at their cost and then pay you accordingly in accordance with the award. This does not stop you then from quitting the very next day and working for someone else, hence option 1 is all that is really left for operators.

Employment in our industry used to be a give and take. I know that this meant that some could take advantage on both sides but not everyone did. Most were reasonable with only the exceptions discussed on forums.
But with these changes pilots cannot now expect to have their cake and eat it to.

This leaves you paying for all your quals prior to employment or the operator giving it to you in the hope that you stay.

What do you think is going to happen???
CASA made sure there are no co-pilot instrument ratings so you cannot learn on the job.
Poor old helicopter guys again have no pathway to move forward except to sell their house.

"its not rocket science its political garbage"

Interesting....

The AFAP has no power to come down on anyone, over anything. However, The AFAP can, on behalf of its members, bring a case to the Fair Work Commission when the national employment standards or the Air Pilots Award has been breached.

There are many many more cases out there where people have been taken advantage off on both sides that have never been discussed here also. There will always be a few pilots that have their cake and eat it, there will be just as many employers that exploit their workers and get away with it.

If an employer needs for example IFR qualified pilots it is because that entity has sold a capability to someone and they are going to make money from it. Employing those pilots, training them and keeping them current is the responsibility of the employer to cover that cost for the benefit of the extra revenue and profit that they make from having sold that capability. There is risk involved but that unfortunately is the cost of doing business. Don't want to take the risk? Don't sell that capability and don't make that extra revenue.

To quote Richard Branson "Train people so they can leave - treat them well enough that they don't"
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Imout » Mon May 20 2019, 04:09

Deleted
Last edited by Imout on Mon May 20 2019, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Mon May 20 2019, 04:23

As you well know Mike, I didn't earn an IFR pilot salary for 2 years to 'pay' for my rating!

Return to “Flight Training”