Canada

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
wingznbladez
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Canada

Postby wingznbladez » Mon Feb 4 2019, 09:19

Hey Team

Just looking at dong my license conversion, Its for fixed wing but i figured the process is the same as rotary so someone might be able to help me out.

Ive got ag work lined up there in the coming season so need to convert my Aus CPL over. If i get a foreign license validation certificate can I still fly for hire and reward, the reason I ask is Im 10 hours short on the instrument flying part, so I figured if i do a foreign license validation certificate with the intention of doing the extra 10 hours IF over there when not working.

thanks
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Canada

Postby Heliduck » Mon Feb 4 2019, 19:27

Give Chinook helicopters a call, they’ll give you all the info you need. They also have a fixed wing school.

Leave yourself some time as you also need to get the provincial Aerial applicators licence in the province which you’ll be operating in, & you can’t get that until You have a Transport Canada licence. The operator your working for should be able to give you all that info.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
RichKann
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RichKann » Mon Feb 4 2019, 20:05

I did my licence conversion with Chinook last year. If you are going to do the full licence conversion be aware that once you have finished and sent your paperwork in to TC, you cannot use the licence until you receive it. (They no longer to temporary licences.) This can be anywhere from 1-3 months, TC is very slow. Mine took close to 3 months.
As for the validation in Canada I am not sure.
wingznbladez
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby wingznbladez » Tue Feb 5 2019, 00:18

Thanks, just have chinook a quick ring and sounds like it’s going to take longer than I would’ve liked, written exam and flight test then the wait for the license to turn up.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Feb 5 2019, 00:58

What about getting an FAA license and switching it that way to TC?

The process has been streamlined.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Something clever
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Something clever » Wed Feb 6 2019, 00:00

What does the conversion from FAA - Can involve?
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Feb 6 2019, 02:15

Something clever
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Something clever » Wed Feb 6 2019, 02:28

Thanks Havick. It was all looking too easy until this line showed up

“Holders of a FAA airman certificate issued on the basis of another foreign pilot licence are not eligible for conversion under these Implementation Procedures.”

Further reading says it goes both ways unfortunately.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Feb 6 2019, 02:40

Something clever wrote:Thanks Havick. It was all looking too easy until this line showed up

“Holders of a FAA airman certificate issued on the basis of another foreign pilot licence are not eligible for conversion under these Implementation Procedures.”

Further reading says it goes both ways unfortunately.

If you take the FAA written and do a flight test then your FAA license is not issued on the basis of a foreign license.
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RePLCPLH » Wed Feb 6 2019, 05:37

To further complicate matters, I was told today by a Transport Canada DAME that medical certs are taking 1-3 months to be processed as TC doesn’t use an online medical info system like CASA, FAA, or NZ CAA. They also only use snail mail rather than email to both receive the application and send out the medical passport. As far as I’m aware, you can’t apply for a Canadian license until you have it so both worst cases combined could mean 6 months.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Wed Feb 6 2019, 15:19

Take medical in Oz. Find DAME.
The equivalent of Casa ARN you get doing medical lets you do conversion process/sit written. Unfortunately same as easa/casa now, need valid commercial medical for CPL flight test.

Yes, one written on law/ops rubber stamping FAA ticket. Still need current medical, bit of cash and filled forms/docs.

Faa CPL or ATP test then pilot certificate won't have "on basis" but watch out if taking ATP to gwt CASA ATPL and then others uncurrent and using that CASA for elsewhere as they DO put the note despite taking flight test because apparently due to less theory exams it was so.

Seen it giving grief first hand to Aussie with Can ATP sorting FAA but due uncurrent IFR side of things and CASA s#!t he had to take bunch of flight tests, wasting money due deadlines..
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Feb 6 2019, 15:24

The only FAA certificate that has “issued on basis foreign license” is a PPL as no flight test or written is involved. You simply goto a FSDO and they look at your documents and issue a PPL. This is basically to allow foreigners to go hire an aircraft to fly around the country.

Other FAA licenses require written/test so aren’t issued on the basis of foreign license. However you do need a verification letter of your Aussie license in order to take the flight test, that doesn’t make you shiny new FAA license issued on the basis of a foreign license.

Either way it’s still going to take time because of paperwork.

Also because of the government shutdown, the FAA is in backlog with regards to licensing stuff.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby ChicoCheco » Thu Feb 7 2019, 01:27

FAA used to validate CPL until about 20 years ago. OCD folks can find it online. Somewhere in the CFRs/old AICs.

Indeed. Other reason people validate foreign docs into FAA PPL is for flight test. With IFR/hood portion exception, examiners, DPEs or FAA inspectors dont want to/no longer act as PIC of the flight.

Especially FSDO FAA chaps are "observing" pilots after the Jet ranger bingle in Florida some years back (Bristow academy). Fairly hard auto landing/rollover even? And the examiner was designated PIC and bit of fallout from that.

Yes DPEs can act as PIC for flight if they agree to and then are liable/responsible when things go wrong.

Good catch, reminding the FAA and partial shutdown bull
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Feb 7 2019, 02:32

ChicoCheco wrote:FAA used to validate CPL until about 20 years ago. OCD folks can find it online. Somewhere in the CFRs/old AICs.

Indeed. Other reason people validate foreign docs into FAA PPL is for flight test. With IFR/hood portion exception, examiners, DPEs or FAA inspectors dont want to/no longer act as PIC of the flight.

Especially FSDO FAA chaps are "observing" pilots after the Jet ranger bingle in Florida some years back (Bristow academy). Fairly hard auto landing/rollover even? And the examiner was designated PIC and bit of fallout from that.

Yes DPEs can act as PIC for flight if they agree to and then are liable/responsible when things go wrong.

Good catch, reminding the FAA and partial shutdown bull

No idea what iibberish this is. But you can can go straight an ATP flight test without any other FAA license prior. All you need is the required experience and an ICAO license with letter of verification.

IF you don’t meet ATP Mins then you have to do the whole PPL then CPl add-on
Ramjet555

Postby Ramjet555 » Tue May 7 2019, 04:44

I helped an Australian ag pilot get up and running with a spray company.
First, you can do the Applicator exam remote. Even sit the exams in Australia.
If you need the books for Manitoba, I've got a virgin set.

Second, your employer needs to apply on your behalf for your foreign licence to be validated.
That means you only need your Australian medical and Australian licence.

Third, Your Australian medical has more time on it than a Canadian one.
If you come to Canada with a fresh medical you are good for longer till your
next medical.

Getting the work permit is straight forward, the employer will have advertized the position
unsuccessfully, as long as its correctly worded...

It can all be done relatively quickly.

Lastly, You need to play a year ahead and get that Applicator exam done.
If you have sprayed before you will have sat similar exams.

There are crash seminars you can go to and they get thru the exam if you
already have a solid knowledge.

Return to “International License Conversion”