Advice for a newbie pilot in regards to instructor

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Mungas
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Advice for a newbie pilot in regards to instructor

Postby Mungas » Tue Jul 3 2018, 12:24

Hi all, looking for some advice, any would be really appreciated as dont know if I should move on somewhere else or just deal with it.

I have been flying for 18hrs now and have been flying with the same instructor from day 1, except for 1 day where someone else had to fill in as he was sick.
The instructor is a grade A instructor and very professional, competent and a really good bloke but feel I am not progressing as i should be and starting to think If it is my ability or whether the instructor is not suited to myself.

My concerns are, lately when flying, not much verbal input is given really, he will sit their silent and monitor everything to see if I am doing everything correct and if not he will take over controls and show me where I dont really learn anyhing from following the controls as I feel no pressure. and starting to feel I am paying him to fly and myself to watch. This is causing me to get frustrated with myself and just start flying worse. Now I am having to go back and repeat basic lessons to show I can do them perfect with no verbal input from him.

When I flew with the other instructor once, he let me fly 99% of the time with plenty of verbal input when required and felt so much more relaxed and felt I progressed more in 1 lesson than I have in 10 as if there was something that I needed to fix/ refine in a manouvre he would provide constant verbal input until I fixed it. if I was not quick enough he would tell me to be quicker, not just take over to show me.

I can fly with no instructor input, but not perfect with definitely room for improvement but feel I will never improve by watching how to do it.

Should I move to another school and try another instructor or just keep flying with him until I get it conpletely right as this is the standard procedure?

Would love to fly with the other instructor I had once but not an option and even if it was, I wouldnt want to say anything as it may ruin my relationship with the school as trying to be humble and patient but lately wanting to quit from the dissapointment.

Sorry for the long spill.

Thanks.

Dave M
Last edited by Mungas on Tue Jul 3 2018, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
bladefapper

Re: Advice for a newbie pilot in regards to instructor

Postby bladefapper » Tue Jul 3 2018, 12:56

You are paying too much money to go and do something you will not enjoy. You must do what is right for you.

Instructors have different teaching methods and students have different learning styles and it is important they are compatible. The instructors i know do not get offended if a student decides they would like to fly with someone else they get more out of. Id hope your instructor sees it the same way.

It can be common for students to switch schools for many reasons. It would be a fairly easy transition for you as you are quite early on, if thats what you decide to do.
Mungas
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mungas » Tue Jul 3 2018, 14:35

Thanks Bladeflap, will take that on board,

Might go try somewhere new, got nothing to lose.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Tue Jul 3 2018, 18:59

The method of instruction is:
Demonstrate
Direct
Monitor

He demonstrates the manoeuvre first, with you following through
Then he directs you, telling you how to fly it, with some corrections as required
Then he monitors you while you do it - might not need much talking here at all if you are doing it right.

So, from what you are saying, he is spending more time in Monitor, which could mean you are doing it pretty well and don't need much correction.
You will ALWAYS have to go back and show him that you have remembered the previous lessons - if you don't practice them over and over, you will forget the finer details. I have had some foreign students who believed that once they had completed a sequence, there was no need to do it again, as they were already "perfect" - far from the truth.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Tue Jul 3 2018, 21:07

How detailed is the pre/post flight briefings? Like any relationship an instructor/student will be most successful with communication. Talk to them about it & see where it goes, if you end up feeling uncomfortable after the conversation move on. You’re the customer.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Tue Jul 3 2018, 21:09

Talk to your instructor first, or his boss, and tell him of your concerns. He may have a very good reason for what he does, or may change what he does, and give you more verbal cues.

go from there, if still not happy then i guess look for a different instructor/school.
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Tue Jul 3 2018, 23:08

SuperF wrote:Talk to your instructor first, or his boss, and tell him of your concerns. He may have a very good reason for what he does, or may change what he does, and give you more verbal cues.

go from there, if still not happy then i guess look for a different instructor/school.

From his original post his instructor now most likely knows exactly as he feels. No, I'm not his instructor. Mungas suggest maybe you edit your post.. listing your hours, and your name, and the fact that you have only flown with one instructor can quite easily point out who you are. Remember it is a VERY small industry. I always think it is better to have a chat to someone face to face regardless of how awkward it can feel. If your problems can't be resolved, maybe it is time to move on.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Tue Jul 3 2018, 23:15

Mungas,

Your paying the money , if you feel that you're not getting value for money , change instructors / schools.

You will find the right instructor fit, otherwise it will cost you extra near the end.
hoelz

Postby hoelz » Wed Jul 4 2018, 05:47

Hi Mungas,

As I have just finished my commercial training a couple months ago, I can recall a couple of times when things did not go as quick as I had hoped for.
With the school I was at, I was lucky, to have multiple instructors - not that any of them wouldn‘t have done a good job, but it sometimes helps, when stuck with one training sequence, taking a flight with an other instructor. It can help, as the other one might just be able to give that hint to get over a pattern.
I can only encourage you, to have an open discussion with your school including your current instructor - they are there to make you succeed, just as much as you want to succeed, a successful candidate is what any school lives of.
Do not hesitate to tell them how frustrated you are at this moment and that you might benefit from a few lessons with the other guys.
There is nothing to be lost from that

Good Luck!
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Wed Jul 4 2018, 09:07

hoelz wrote:Hi Mungas,

As I have just finished my commercial training a couple months ago, I can recall a couple of times when things did not go as quick as I had hoped for.
With the school I was at, I was lucky, to have multiple instructors - not that any of them wouldn‘t have done a good job, but it sometimes helps, when stuck with one training sequence, taking a flight with an other instructor. It can help, as the other one might just be able to give that hint to get over a pattern.
I can only encourage you, to have an open discussion with your school including your current instructor - they are there to make you succeed, just as much as you want to succeed, a successful candidate is what any school lives of.
Do not hesitate to tell them how frustrated you are at this moment and that you might benefit from a few lessons with the other guys.
There is nothing to be lost from that

Good Luck!

Great advice
Mungas
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mungas » Thu Jul 5 2018, 11:13

Thankyou for all the advice, very much appreciated.

Pre flight briefings usually consist of either a video to watch or an email sent from last lesson to read of the days lesson and a post flight brief is of what is a list of items required to work on from the days lesson.

I have just done a few lessons with a new instructor today and already feel much better with everything as they have boosted my confidence in a huge way with them being extremely happy with my ability with everything so far and mention I am more than ready to prepare for my first solo. Actually enjoyed flying again for the first time in a while!

I would prefer to continue with the training school Im currently at as its just around the corner from our house and the new one tried is quite a drive. Not much else around from us.
Just needed to know where I was at with ability to bring the confidence back and to experience a different training structure.

I see your point Heli20 but as I have mentioned I have the upmost respect for the instructor and the school Im at and do not want to upset anyone, as I am aware of how the industry is, which is the main reason why I have not mentioned anything as yet. Not doing the licence to work in the industry though, not for an old bugger like myself...

Thanks again for all the advice, much appreciated. Bit more confident to discuss my concerns with him now and go from there, hopefully he does not get offended and can move forward.

DM
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Thu Jul 5 2018, 11:33

Pre flight briefings usually consist of either a video to watch or an email sent from last lesson to read of the days lesson and a post flight brief is of what is a list of items required to work on from the days lesson.

That’s nowhere near satisfactory as a pre-flight briefing I’m afraid. A preflight briefing doesn’t and shouldn’t need to go on and on but, it does need to cover the salient points and ensure that YOU are ready for the lesson. A wise old instructor once told me that the preflight briefing should be like a bikini, just enough to cover the important parts. “Watch this video while I do important instructor business” doesn’t cut it, I’m paraphrasing before anyone gets their knickers in a twist.
Mungas
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mungas » Thu Jul 5 2018, 11:48

Well I must admit the pre & post flight briefings at the company today were much more thorough and felt much more personable compared to what Im used to. Felt I was getting alot more for the money spent, even for the 2.5hr drive.
But only going off what I am used to. Really dont have much idea what to expect.

DM
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Thu Jul 5 2018, 14:03

Hey Mungas,

Im in the middle of my training as you with only with 1 instructor from the start so far.
I travel almost 2 hours each way every flight because its the better place to learn. Could fly closer & with more chilled instructors but prefer the quality tuition & better location.
I also get annoyed at my self some days when not flying to my potential, but that just makes me want to work harder & be a better pilot. I know where your coming from though as many guys on here would.

A stricter flight instructor can be a good thing, as my instructor tells me that other instructors would be happy with my flying, but he keeps picking on things to make me better than good enough, and I appreciate that even if it feels you’re never doing good enough sometimes.
Whenever he takes the controls cause Im not doing something good enough, makes me just try harder so he doesnt have to touch anything or tell me to correct.

Have to agree with Evil, I wouldn’t feel prepared from watching a vid for preflights unless it was structered in a way where they were explaining it all to you asking you questions & making sure you understand it all.
I say fly wherever it will make you the best pilot possible, as thats why your doing it after all.
Go for Quality, not convenience!

All the best with it whichever way you go mate.
Safe flying!
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Thu Jul 5 2018, 18:49

The way it should run, in a structured school, is this:

For the new sequence, an instructor gives you the "long brief". This is a detailed lesson on everything about the new sequence, should take about 45 mins, use photos, videos, Powerpoint or whatever. Student gets a take-away lesson to study.

Couple of days later, after student has read and revised the lesson, he reports for his pre-flight brief, where the instructor confirms that Bloggs understands what will happen, and knows any relevant numbers/limits - should take about 10-20 mins

Then they go do the flight. Demo, direct, monitor, re-demo, direct, monitor. Re-demo, direct, re-demo, oh jeez what is wrong with this guy, monitor - YES! He's got it.

Afterwards, instructor revises the flight, pats Bloggs on the back for the good things, and shows him how to revise the stuff he got wrong. Give him paperwork for next sequence. Send him home. Drink coffee, or something stronger if the day has finished.
JohnnyRotten

Postby JohnnyRotten » Sun Jul 8 2018, 06:08

Glad to hear you are getting on better. Flying these things is fun.

There's been some good advice here. Instructors can be a very mixed bag, so find one that can communicate with you. Good quality long, pre-flight briefs and debriefs are essential.

Also good to hear that you're not chasing employment. It's a very unsupportive industry.

Enjoy the ride. I still remember my first solo clearly. Happy days!
Mungas
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mungas » Tue Jul 10 2018, 01:40

Thanks again for the advice and knowoledge.

I have moved over to my new school and all is proceeding well, much happier flying.

The pre/post flight briefs are alot more involved and learning a huge amount each lesson, even getting homework now for next lessons preperation.

Just landed from my first solo circuit, woo hoo! Nailed it. :D
Can only get better from here on.

Would like to thank everyone for steering me in the right direction, great bunch of lads!!
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Tue Jul 10 2018, 02:18

Mungas wrote:Thanks again for the advice and knowoledge.

I have moved over to my new school and all is proceeding well, much happier flying.

The pre/post flight briefs are alot more involved and learning a huge amount each lesson, even getting homework now for next lessons preperation.

Just landed from my first solo circuit, woo hoo! Nailed it. :D
Can only get better from here on.

Would like to thank everyone for steering me in the right direction, great bunch of lads!!

Good on ya mate, enjoy 8)
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Tue Jul 10 2018, 20:25

“Can only het better from here on”.... :lol:
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Thu Jul 12 2018, 02:07

Congratulations on the 1st Solo, I remember mine like it was yesterday.

I had never felt so nervous but so calm at the same time.

Return to “Flight Training”