Future of flying cars and their impact on us.

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Future of flying cars and their impact on us.

Postby Gonsky » Wed Mar 14 2018, 10:29

When you have all of you power going into lift, not belts, not gearboxes, not shafts, not tail rotors and inefficent main rotors you have consideably more power to play with.

Regards,
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Future of flying cars and they’re impact on us.

Postby hand in pants » Wed Mar 14 2018, 21:50

As usual, pure garbage. The noise of these things will have the nimby's going full tilt.
I've played with an under 2 kg drone and it makes enough racket to drag out the whingers. Something big enough to carry an idiot human will be deafening.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed Mar 14 2018, 22:13

inefficent main rotors

...and you want to replace one "inefficient" main rotor with a dozen piddly little ones, screaming their little t1ts off?

The most efficient way to get thrust is to move a large amount of air at a low speed, not a small amount at a high speed, times 12. Not efficient.

Those little blades are fixed pitch and variable RPM, so there is not a specific way of having the blade operate at its optimum L/D speeds. Not efficient.

No possibility of autorotation, so a ballistic parachute would probably be required - more weight to be countered by the little props.

Dream on, but that's all it will be, a wet dream.
Icefather
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Icefather » Wed Mar 14 2018, 22:36

Apart from the noise these sorts of “flying taxi’s” the General public are going to get let down when, unlike a normal taxi, these can’t land out side ya house and you have to walk to a station...
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Thu Mar 15 2018, 04:33

The ducted fan is more efficient in producing thrust than a conventional propeller of similar diameter due to less tip loses and vortex generation. Also you can vary the duct design to affect the velocity and pressure of the airflow.

That is actually a fact, not something i have pulled out of the air. In some cases produce over 90% more thrust as the outward flow is contained and directed by the duct. So you can achieve the same thrust in a smaller package.

Ducted fans are quieter than propellers as they shield the blade noise by reducing the tip speed and intensity of the tip vortices which contribute considerably to sound signature.

Regards,
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Thu May 24 2018, 21:11

Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Thu May 24 2018, 22:38

Aside from noise, traffic issues, finding suitable landing sites etc I really do wonder how these unmanned aircraft will deal with unusual system degradations and emergencies. I've seen a few similar vehicles that have parachute systems for use when s*** hits the fan, but a parachute doesn't afford a great deal of safety over a built up area - for pax, or those below! An autonomous ground based vehicle can presumably come safely to a stop if it detects a failure, doesn't work so well for aircraft... You can of course build in redundancy, and program in automatic troubleshooting/isolation of problem systems, but as soon as something very unusual happens, or a compounded emergency trips the processing, what's to stop these things falling out of the sky? Don't get me wrong, I fly an aircraft with a hover coupler, and it can do a better job than me most of the time; but I also routinely have to intervene when it does unusual and unpredictable things, or gives up entirely and would spear in without a pilot. I really do wonder if we will ever get to the point that people are strapping into a machine as pax with no one in the front to take over and make decisions when something catastrophic happens.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu May 24 2018, 22:53

These things are pie in the sky rubbish. Good for science fiction movies but that's all.
They will NOT have an impact on us other that from the usual garbage cluttering up this site.

There is NOTHING from caa regarding this kind if thing and can you imagine the crap the authority will come up with to police them.
What licence would you need, who would do the training, who would test you, fixed wing or helicopter, where can you land/take off from, where can you go, can you fly in cloud, can you fly at night, can you fly in rain. There is nothing about this in the crappy computer generated videos the so called "manufacturer" puts out saying they are "taking orders".

I remember being at Newcastle Westpac around 20 years ago when the Bell people turned up with a presentation on the tilt rotor and were "taking orders".

Still waiting to see one......................................
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri May 25 2018, 10:58

The project reflects Uber’s view that transportation ultimately will be “three dimensional,” meaning that vehicles will move vertically as well as horizontally, Khosrowshahi said

Wow, what a revalation. This is just cutting edge technology.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri May 25 2018, 11:32

Twistgrip wrote:
The project reflects Uber’s view that transportation ultimately will be “three dimensional,” meaning that vehicles will move vertically as well as horizontally, Khosrowshahi said

Wow what a revalation!
Maybe they could be used by Uber ?
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Fri May 25 2018, 20:30

Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Fri May 25 2018, 23:05

The document in Gonsky's reference is not really worth reading. Wish I could have those 10 minutes back.

These things will not be seen in Oz during the lifetime of anybody reading this forum.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sat May 26 2018, 00:31

Well said Eric.

Glad I didn't piss away 10 minutes.
nuggs
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby nuggs » Sat May 26 2018, 00:58

Uber also thought we would all be in their autonomous cars by now until they killed someone and got taken off the road
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Sat May 26 2018, 04:42

Ever thought about changing your username from Evil Twin to Unemployable?

Gave the moderators more than enough time to remove your post. Guess once again my guys will be talking with some HR people in the am.

Regards,
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Sat May 26 2018, 05:25

Gonsky, two years??? Want to have a wager on that. I think the nearest that you will have in two years is more organisations talking about trialling them, more startups and more press releases, but nothing operating commercially in NZ or Oz.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat May 26 2018, 05:34

Gonsky wrote:Gave the moderators more than enough time to remove your post. Guess once again my guys will be talking with some HR people in the am.

Regards,

Apologies for the lack of an immediate response Gonsky however we are not exclusively at your beck and call. Some of us have day jobs involving real helicopters that have real people flying them...and we are trying to enjoy every last minute of it before the robot/drone/Skynet-styled apocalypse comes and makes us all redundant in which case you will be able to update Bladeslapper all you like with drone stuff without opposition nor argument as no man will frequent the site anymore.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Sat May 26 2018, 16:05

FF,

:lol:

By the way...the heading should be "their" not "they're"...if we want our English to be better'ra...

Arrrj
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat May 26 2018, 22:58

Is that betterer now?

pohm1 did highlight this earlier in the thread without amendment being made.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sat May 26 2018, 23:22

"Guess once again my guys will be talking with some HR people in the am."

So let me get this strait, gonsky is threatening to have his "guys" talk to a slappers hr department with the view of making him "unemployable".
This clown does not belong on this site. He should be banned forever. What type of person would threaten that kind of thing.

So glad he isn't actually involved in our industry.

Return to “On the Job”