Prescription glasses and helmets/headsets

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
RotorTQ
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Prescription glasses and helmets/headsets

Postby RotorTQ » Fri May 11 2018, 11:36

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions when it comes to sourcing a (reading glasses) frame that has the thin arms (temples and temple tips) suitable to wear under either a helmet or headset?
I'm sure there must be a good number of Bladeslappers out there that have prescription glasses for flying. ??
I've recently joined the club (requiring glasses for the short distance stuff), and I'm looking into making up a set of multifocal lenses that I can wear under my helmet which are not going to dig into the side of my head and cause me pain.
I cast my mind back to the days of wearing sunglasses under a headset, and I can remember the headache it used to give me after an hour or two. Hence why the helmet is great. No need for sunglasses.
I've noticed in the past, colleagues who have had sunnies with a wafer thin temple arm and almost a wrap around. I didn't take too much notice of the brand, but that's the sort of thing I think I need. Thin enough that the temples don't bury themselves into the side of your head! ;-)
If I can source some frames, then the optician can then work their magic and fit the lenses. Problem solved.
Look forward to hearing of any leads. Any ideas?
Many thanks.

RT
Dave Peel

Re: Prescription glasses and helmets/headsets

Postby Dave Peel » Fri May 11 2018, 13:22

We all get there in the end. Simple fix is to go to the local dive shop and get the stick on lenses they use inside a dive mask. Position them on the inner visor and when you need to read up close, pull the visor down. I mainly use the smoke visor and therefore have the lenses on my Amber one.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Fri May 11 2018, 22:38

I’ve never liked drop Down visors so I have always flown with sunnies & a helmet, Serengeti sunglasses have a thin arm which has worked well for me.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Fri May 11 2018, 22:52

....should have gone to Specsavers. Mine have a thin arm which slid neatly into the helmet, no pressure problems.
chocolate
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby chocolate » Sat May 12 2018, 04:23

Take helmet or headset to the optometrists. Surprising what they come up with once they see the problem. Pardon the pun.
rotors99
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby rotors99 » Sat May 12 2018, 06:51

Or; do eye exercises & eliminate the problem...glasses only make the problem worse! Research 'Bates method' it took me from long & shortsightedness to no correction lenses required in just 9 months, 15yrs back! Then it took another 1 year of fighting with CASA to have 'corrective lenses required' removed off my class 1 medical. Still 20/20 today at 58! It works....just gotta devote the time & follow the method :D

http://www.visionsofjoy.org/Bates-Metho ... rcises.htm

http://tedmaser.com/batesmethodeyeexercises/
aaron
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby aaron » Sat May 12 2018, 07:21

There's these Oakley sunnies you could get and just get your lenses fitted into the frames :lol: :D :wink:
P.S. this is not me in the picture. I got it off the web for this reply
Attachments
images.jpeg
K78
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby K78 » Sat May 12 2018, 08:09

Hey mate I wear glasses for flying, wear a helmet all the time. I have a pair of timberlands brand which I wear mainly. Have found having a pair of Bose headsets fitted after market is huge. Can wear it 8 hours straight no drama.
PM if want any further information.
flyhuey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flyhuey » Mon May 14 2018, 20:15

Just convert to prescription glass . . .
Eyeglassses/Sunglasses Temple/Earpieces should be thin enough so as not to break the seal of the ear-cushions/pads of the headset/helmet against your head or cause pressure points/hotspots . . . Will adversely affect hearing, if so large/thick they do break the seal, unless you wear earplugs, under your headset/helmet, too. Should have rubberised Nose Pieces, because when your face sweats, and as the Nose Pieces spread from multiple use, the weight of the Sunglasses will cause them to slide down your nose. The Eyeglassses/Sunglasses frames should not be large or thick, because they will block your peripheral vision from seeing hazards.

Return to “Equipment”