Evo 252 helmet with Bose

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
AirTokoroa
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Evo 252 helmet with Bose

Postby AirTokoroa » Sun Jun 25 2017, 11:12

Hi everyone. Looking into the Evo 252 and just wanting to know if anyone has any opinions or experience with them? Currently looking at a new SPH 5 aswell.
Cheers!
:D
chopperdavo
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Evo 252 helmet with Bose

Postby chopperdavo » Mon Jun 26 2017, 11:54

Wellll where do I start...

Great helmet, when you finally get you mitts on it. Customer service is horrendous, if you are going to buy one (can't believe I'm saying this) but buy it from the US just so you don't have to deal with the local rep.

Over 12mths and I still don't have my issues sorted out
Flying a Helicopter is living the dream....
Bladeranger
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bladeranger » Tue Jun 27 2017, 03:45

Most comfortable helmet I have owned. I agree with getting it from the US. Mine was here in 6 weeks.
Robo-rage

Postby Robo-rage » Tue Jun 27 2017, 06:21

Great helmet mate, I did the Bose conversion myself, the Bluetooth for phone calls music ect is excellent
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Tue Jun 27 2017, 09:28

If you want the back up with service and warranty, just spend the $ and buy a MSA Gallet.
They are the original design and way better to deal with (on shore) through FHA (Flight Helmets Australia) in QLD.
I've seen too many victims go through the pain of buying cheaper alternatives off shore.
11 years down the line for me and still running strong.
Your head and hard earn't $ are worth it.
ANR can be fitted after purchase with minimal pain if you have an old head set to butcher up.
My 2 cents worth.
Good luck.
GF.
There is always an option.
Bladeranger
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bladeranger » Tue Jun 27 2017, 12:35

I don't know about the evo being a cheaper alternative than the galler. I've had a gentex, alpha and a gallet and the evo is by far the most comfortable helmet I've had.
wilco
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby wilco » Tue Jun 27 2017, 21:27

Yeah, I'm with Bladeranger on this. I keep hearing Evo is the cheap alternative but I just ordered a 252 on Monday and it set me back $3600 AUD. My Alpha 900 which, admittedly I bought 9 years ago, cost me $2400 AUD.
For those of you like me who are too cheap to buy a Bose A20 one, which will cost you about another $1600-$1700 for a factory fit out, might I suggest CEP. I have it in the current Alpha and while I hated it for the first few days I'm now very comfortable with it and the sound reduction is like Maxwell Smart's cone of silence...you can still hear the engine so don't panic.
I'd also suggest shopping around a bit for them. The factory in the US and Ron Abbott from Helicopter Helmet in the US both push the Aussie dealers which is fair enough and the only real difference in price is due to the lovely tax our government squeezes us for any time something needs to be imported. I ended up going with Sisley (same company that does the flight suits etc) as they said the helmet would take approximately 4 weeks to arrive while some of the others said it could take up to 12 weeks. Will let you know how close to the mark it comes. Additionally, the customer service was great. Matt Sisley called me himself to run through the range of options and to discuss what exactly I was looking for in the helmet.
Big thing with buying helmets is you're always going to find people on both sides of the fence so at the end of the day go with the brand and dealer you're most comfortable with.
Fly safe.
angrypalmtree
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby angrypalmtree » Tue Jun 27 2017, 23:31

Get one with audiosculpt heli chasis (similar to cep) and you wont look back. I also haven't heard anything bad about the north walls. Super light weight, never worn one but.
AirTokoroa
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AirTokoroa » Fri Jun 30 2017, 06:21

Thanks for your opinions! Does anyone have experience with the Gentex SPH 5?
Probbo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Probbo » Fri Jun 30 2017, 07:32

Yep, SPH-5 helmets are robust. However I had an issue with visor clip. Parts are easy to source though.
They are a bit heavier than Alphas, not sure in comparison to Evo e.t.c and can get a bit hot after a long day.
They are relatively easy to retrofit Bose or Zulu coms to.
Overall very good in my opinion
RotorBez
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RotorBez » Sat Jul 1 2017, 05:40

I have a EVO252 and I think it is exceptional. I can't compare it to anything else mind you as this is my first helmet for flying in. I am about to take the Helochais / audiosculpt route as ANR is only so good. I will report back to this thread once everything is fitted and I have had a chance to take the helmet and the custom moulded earpieces for a few flights if that helps.

RB
AirTokoroa
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AirTokoroa » Sat Jul 1 2017, 10:31

Cheers Bez!
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sat Jul 1 2017, 14:30

AirTokoroa wrote:Cheers Bez!

Seriously consider the local support (or lack of) that you will get with this helmet as per previous posters experiences ordering one.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
RotorBez
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RotorBez » Mon Jul 3 2017, 07:46

havick wrote:
AirTokoroa wrote:Cheers Bez!

Seriously consider the local support (or lack of) that you will get with this helmet as per previous posters experiences ordering one.

There is a huge amount of the above from Havick that needs to be taken into consideration as well!

I will admit that I appear to have been lucky with my helmet and I still waited the thick end of 5 months for mine.

The problem is finding somewhere / someone who has more than just 1 offering so that you can actually compare them.

RB
SIR_SMP
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby SIR_SMP » Thu Jul 6 2017, 00:27

The problem is different helmets will feel different for different people, there are not too many places (none) where you can go try different helmets

Hit up your mates and wear theirs and see what works best for you, IMHO and experience I have owned lots of helmets (mostly due to my helmet fetish) and I find that:

SPH, is a great robust helmet, the screens are not as smooth as an alpha or evo which pivot as they are on slides, however a little vaseline on the slides keeps the visor sliding smooth. Gentex are actually very very comfortable helmets if you set them up right, there is a million different liner options, parts are relatively cheap and readily available, They have been around for a very very long time though and there are different shells of different weights and vintages. If you are buying one don't bother with a suspension job. I like the old girls, I am actually just building myself up a spare one, with all new liner visors etc will be about $1,000 to refurb. Gentex are very adjustable however it is a bit of pain to adjust the webbing length with the screws, take you time and its a great lid, by far the most economical choice

Alpha's are my favourite and I have and still own a few of them, if you can get a carbon peak job as the plastic peak can rub the visor over time and leave marks. Great helmets, you need to play with the fitting kit and get it right, they are very easy to adjust and great looking. Don't bother with the factory ANR its junk. when I have needed parts I got them from red baron here in AU and have gotten good customer service out of them

Evo's etc are good helmets but my pet hate about them is the retention of the ear cup where it is on a spaced foam disk, its yuck compared to the alpha and gentex where the ear cup is suspended on the webbing and thats why I don't own one

Northwall I keep hearing are super comfortable (debatable), I have not worn one so I have no opinion on the matter but they are so dam ugly that you need to walk around with the dark visor down all the time so that no one will recognise you!

Regarding ANR, Bose is the best retrofit, lots of people shove them into their lids but to do it properly takes time and requires cutting the looms and glues and lots of other things. Takes me 1.5 days to covert one over. Alpha is the most receptive to do, the Gentex is very difficult to do and requires a lot more time as the stock cups need to be cut and shaped to accept the Bose cup. There is an adaptor plate available but that costs you $400USD on top of the headset etc. Evos require very careful tuning of the foam spacers when converted due to the low thickness of the A20 foam seal compared to the factory seal. Ie you need to ensure the cup is perfectly spaced onto your noggin

If money is a bit tight you can use the older Bose X headsets, I flew about 40 hours on that setup in my alpha before I changed my personal lid over to a A20 job. The A20 is marginally better with its ANR compared to X however the old Bose X is still leaps and bounds ahead of any other ANR headset. DC, Zulu, the factory alpha ANR are all about the same, and miles behind Bose. I believe the factory Alpha ANR is being discontinued

Of course you will loose your warranty as soon as you modify the bose headset to fit your helmet

Price wise, an Alpha will set you back $4k here in Australia new and a good used will run you up about half that price. Evie is about the same I guess. A good gentex / recent one should cost you $1500 AU, there about 2.5k+ishy new for a twin screen SPH. There are a million configurations of the helmet and some of them are quite weird, stay away from the cheap eBay gentex jobs unless you intend to buy one and do a full refurb on it (about $1,000 for parts plus paint)

Hope that helps, I know it doesn't answer your questions but gives you more to ponder over. Bottom line is for me I have found SPH and the Eagle to be the best lids to suit my noggin, beg borrow and try as many different lids as you can. Try and buy as close to a new second hand as you can and you will have a few bucks left over to go to a bose headset

Lastly get yourself some skull caps and it will help keep your lid fresh. If you have a bose conversion you need a skull cap that has the ears cut out not overlaid
AirTokoroa
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby AirTokoroa » Thu Jul 6 2017, 02:48

That is a great help thanks very much! I think after talking to a few people and read reviews im going to stick with the SPH-5. It seems to have been proven as a great helmet and will last a long time as long as it is looked after. Im going to get a brand new one and then i know exactly where it has been. As for installing bose comms do you know anyone in Aust/NZ that will do it? I use a A20 headset at the moment and I love it. Cheers for your help SMP
SIR_SMP
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby SIR_SMP » Thu Jul 6 2017, 05:21

I'll send you a PM

Return to “Equipment”