Flying helicopters with different main rotor rotations

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Flying helicopters with different main rotor rotations

Postby KOALA » Tue Nov 8 2016, 16:45

Apologies if this has been posted before. I could not find much on here about it.

I have a question for all the pilots out there that fly various types of helicopters with different main rotor blade directions. ie: Going from a R44 / B206 to a AS350 / EC120 (couter clockwise . clockwise)
Dose any one do this regularly as part of there job currently or previously? is this a hard thing to learn and/or master?

I am wondering if this is a difficult process to go back and forwards from?

Look forward to hearing any comments or advice about this.

Thanks
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)
skidnibbler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Flying helicopters with different main rotor rotations

Postby skidnibbler » Tue Nov 8 2016, 19:11

No big deal, its just a matter of keeping the nose straight :wink:
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Nov 8 2016, 19:43

As above. 'Fix what's out in front'. And when I'm doing my gauge scan I tap my foot on the non power pedal to help remind myself which one I'll be stepping on if it all goes quiet. Never had a problem jumping between machines.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Tue Nov 8 2016, 21:08

Your first instinctive input might be the wrong way, but you will quickly detect the movement out the front and fix it.
rotors99
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby rotors99 » Tue Nov 8 2016, 21:27

Look outside & fly the pricture, it makes didly squat difference which way the blades rotate.....just fly the picture, its that hard :shock:
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby KOALA » Wed Nov 9 2016, 16:30

Awesome. Thanks lads. Good to know.

Now which endorsement do I buy hahaha 8)
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Nov 11 2016, 10:53

Your first instinctive input might be the wrong way, but you will quickly detect the movement out the front and fix it.

As Eric, Rotors99 and others have said...just look out the front and adjust, you'll feel it as you start to pull power but you should already know which is the power pedal prior to jumping into the hot seat. Small and smooth. :D

Now which endorsement do I buy hahaha 8)

Your question is broad in my opinion. What are you short, mid and long term goals?.

You need to ask yourself where do i want to be in 2 years, 10 years and a retirement job. Plan ahead and you won't be so disappointed, and there will be times that you will feel the highs and lows of this industry I've been in it for a mere 22 years and have experienced them all!...I still love it. :D

There are so many sectors in our industry and a good few have experience from mustering through to offshore IFR.

As they say its whatever floats you floats, everyone has different aspirations and trust me they changes as your career moves on. All the best :D
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"

Return to “Flight Training”