EVO 252 helmet?

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
Dynamic Rollover

EVO 252 helmet?

Postby Dynamic Rollover » Wed Apr 23 2014, 07:36

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a helmet and trying to choose between the Gallet LH250 and Evolution 252. The latter is a brand new model. It looks good and is cheaper than the Gallet. It's also lighter and supposedly stronger. However, I can't find any specifications leaflet, so it's a total unknown. Has anyone seen it/tried it?

Greetings

DR
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: EVO 252 helmet?

Postby mdav » Wed Apr 23 2014, 13:22

Coast2coast
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Coast2coast » Tue Jun 24 2014, 11:08

So has any one sacked up and bought one yet? Pretty keen to hear a first hand review.
Cheers
Robo-rage

Postby Robo-rage » Tue Jun 24 2014, 22:03

I've ordered one.....its taking bloody ages to show up
SPGreenCan
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SPGreenCan » Tue Jun 24 2014, 22:48

Yeah I first ordered one in Feb after he talked me out of another Gallet. Still waiting. I think they started advertising before they had even made any of the parts. It is just a copy of the LH250 pretty much, with all parts being interchangable. The price was good though. Kept getting told that its only a few weeks... few weeks.... few weeks... Meanwhile my 250 has fallen apart and being put back together again and again waiting for its chance to retire.
mapala
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby mapala » Mon Oct 6 2014, 12:24

Any of you guys received your 252 yet?

If so how is it?
HRG
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby HRG » Mon Oct 6 2014, 12:57

I ordered the EVO 252..... It took 4 weeks from ordering to arrival in Australia.

Good quality, it is similar to Gallet LH350 and got the same platinum paint as the alpha for no extra cost, I have been using it the last couple of months and I'm pretty happy.

It's the first helmet I have owned so I can't compare helmets, however I have tried on the Alpha, Gentex and Gallet and I preferred the Gallet, more like a motorbike helmet which I liked however the price was just to expensive in Australia. So I opted for the EVO.

I will post a few pics or a video when I can.
OldAviator

Postby OldAviator » Mon Oct 6 2014, 14:50

Be sure you ask for a copy of the test report on the helmet before you buy it.
Helmets should be tested, but the USA has no regulation or requirement requiring it.
There are tons of untested helmets on the market in the USA.

HHC told me in the middle of July that EVO hadn't been tested yet, so you would be wise to check.
Ask for a test report. If they don't have one, you can make your own assumption.
nzflyer
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby nzflyer » Mon Oct 6 2014, 20:30

Alpha helmets are 5x the helmets of these cheap alternatives , your protecting your scons boys spend the money and get safety
Jamienz
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jamienz » Mon Oct 6 2014, 21:04

I have an Alpha 900 in Medium broad. According to the website and the guys at Red Barron, this is the right size for me.Trying it on and wearing it for short periods of time it feels good but after a while (maybe 4 hrs) I start to get a headache. I did a night on frost recently, and got to about 5am and had to take it off and continue flying with no protection which obviously defeats the purpose of the helmet. The pressure actually made me feel like throwing up and I almost had to land at the worst possible time, just as the orchid was getting real cold.posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=8830#

So now I am back in the market for a new helmet. The Alpha is a great lid and I feel safe in it, but it just doesn't fit my head very well so need to replace it.

The key thing I am trying to say is make sure you get once thats comfortable. Obviously safety is the reason you are buying the helmet but if you get one you can't use for long then its not much use.

I have talked to Ron at Helicopter Helmets about an Evo 152, and it sounds like these are not just cheap knock offs of the Gallet. They do seem to be a new helmet, with a lot of the advantages of the Gallet included and a few extra features (like the plug at the back of the helmet).
BBwantok
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby BBwantok » Tue Oct 7 2014, 03:05

Re the Alpha, it is essential that you set it up correctly with the different size pads you should have received with the helmet.
Not doing so will create a "pressure point" somewhere, that will lead to the problem you are having.
I have had an Alpha for over 12 years, Alpha 200, and it is still in good condition (I wear it for 95% of my flying). A long day, 7+ hours flying, you will start to get some discomfort, but gel ear-seals go a long way to stopping that. It's worth trying a skull-cap maybe?

I wouldn't say it's "5 times" better than the others. It's more a personal choice. They all do the job required. Both the Alpha, and Gentex 56 are current military issue...
mapala
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby mapala » Tue Oct 7 2014, 04:19

Jamienz wrote:I have an Alpha 900 in Medium broad. According to the website and the guys at Red Barron, this is the right size for me.Trying it on and wearing it for short periods of time it feels good but after a while (maybe 4 hrs) I start to get a headache. I did a night on frost recently, and got to about 5am and had to take it off and continue flying with no protection which obviously defeats the purpose of the helmet. The pressure actually made me feel like throwing up and I almost had to land at the worst possible time, just as the orchid was getting real cold.posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=8830#

So now I am back in the market for a new helmet. The Alpha is a great lid and I feel safe in it, but it just doesn't fit my head very well so need to replace it.

The key thing I am trying to say is make sure you get once thats comfortable. Obviously safety is the reason you are buying the helmet but if you get one you can't use for long then its not much use.

I have talked to Ron at Helicopter Helmets about an Evo 152, and it sounds like these are not just cheap knock offs of the Gallet. They do seem to be a new helmet, with a lot of the advantages of the Gallet included and a few extra features (like the plug at the back of the helmet).

G'day Jamie,

I would suggest trying the size large which if slightly too big you can adjust with the pads as BBwantok mentionned.
I once bought the medium broad as well because same as you based on the measurements on the website it would have been the size I needed but I was getting a big headache within 10 min or so coz it was too small, I then bought the same one in large and it was a lot more comfy.
Cant really comment on wearing it for long period tho because right after buying it I had to put flying on hold and had to sell it...
Back on the market trying to find a descent second hand one in size large now.
Jamienz
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Jamienz » Tue Oct 7 2014, 08:13

mapala wrote:
Jamienz wrote:I have an Alpha 900 in Medium broad. According to the website and the guys at Red Barron, this is the right size for me.Trying it on and wearing it for short periods of time it feels good but after a while (maybe 4 hrs) I start to get a headache. I did a night on frost recently, and got to about 5am and had to take it off and continue flying with no protection which obviously defeats the purpose of the helmet. The pressure actually made me feel like throwing up and I almost had to land at the worst possible time, just as the orchid was getting real cold.posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=8830#

G'day Jamie,

I would suggest trying the size large which if slightly too big you can adjust with the pads as BBwantok mentionned.
I once bought the medium broad as well because same as you based on the measurements on the website it would have been the size I needed but I was getting a big headache within 10 min or so coz it was too small, I then bought the same one in large and it was a lot more comfy.
Cant really comment on wearing it for long period tho because right after buying it I had to put flying on hold and had to sell it...
Back on the market trying to find a descent second hand one in size large now.

Cheers -spoke to the Karen and Greg at Red Baron today actually. Super helpful. Lining up a shiny new Alpha in the next size up hopefully.

My point above was that (for me at least) the fit and comfort is super important.
Dan1978
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Dan1978 » Mon Nov 10 2014, 00:39

Am looking at a new Helmet as well and it appears they now have a test report up on their website http://www.evolutionhelmets.com/mywebsite_007.htm
Robo-rage

Postby Robo-rage » Mon Nov 10 2014, 02:05

Done a few hrs in my evo now, comfy, nice and light
Pinnacle
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pinnacle » Sat Apr 18 2015, 20:58

Looking for an update on the EV0 252, how are they working out for those that are using them?
Dan1978
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Dan1978 » Sun Apr 19 2015, 07:25

I ended up buying a 252 with a Bose A20 installed and its been great, really comfortable and the ANR is unreal it has its moments in 2 bladed machines with the doors off but not enough to worry about.
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Mon Apr 20 2015, 01:08

Put the doors back on the R22 Dan1978 and you shouldn't have a problem.
Redlining in neutral
bigglesbutler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigglesbutler » Mon Apr 20 2015, 05:39

For what it is worth for those fitting ANR kits into helmets, the evo comes with the Zulu in too and as I fly with a zulu now I can vouch for its ability to cope with wind and air pressure changes. I have previously had two Bose headsets and I would recommend people choose the zulu over the Bose when going into a helmet, just my two cents. Once funds allow I will be ordering an Evo 252 for myself.

Si
Dan1978
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Dan1978 » Mon Apr 20 2015, 06:25

Haha thanks for the solid advice agrattler......quiet day in paradise?

Return to “Equipment”