ASL EXAMS

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Lurch
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: ASL EXAMS

Postby Lurch » Tue Oct 1 2013, 08:38

I had the exact same issue today, Human Factors. "Have you got your BAK?" "My WHAT?!"

Managed to sit it and pass it though!
TomJ
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TomJ » Thu Oct 3 2013, 09:44

Well well well... Trying to contain my delight!!!
The saga continues.
After a week of emailing etc trying to fix, rectify etc was able to secure a booking at Mangalore test centre for today. Sit this thing, better sooner than later.
This was confirmed via phone call this morning.
All good. Great. Let's get this done.
Drive up from Melb, beautiful.
Nice to be on the road, out of town blah blah.
Arrive with time to spare... Bit of last minute review of notes in car.
Check in with the Letter of exemption and relate tale of whoa to supervisor.
No probs. PEXO is running well.
Morning session went well, no probs, I'm told.
Usual preambles etc and log in time.
Get as far as the exam load screen and presented with exam results.... Already done for me. 80 percent.
Point this out to supervisor. Looks like account hasn't been fixed.
Many phone calls to Canberra and multiple attempts to reset and log in and load.
2 hours there and no joy.
Can't sit.
"Just print me a KDR and we'll call it even"....
FFS!!!
Await phone call tomorrow for update and possible new exam date.

The apologies and reasons/technical excuses/who's at fault are wearing exceptionally thin...

..to say the fckng least.

Quite probable they read this, (hello), and are simply, fashioning me a new coit due to some forum airing.

Just thought I'd let you all know what may/can occur.
Not sure how the guy who somehow logged in and sat my HUF exam last week is getting on... Fixed wing fella I believe.

Anyway. No doubt, more fun to follow.
Getting geared up for a phone call saying the only way to fix your account is to delete the user and start over... "We've deleted all your exam records..."
A-fkng-Hem, huh, the what the?
Gator
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gator » Fri Oct 4 2013, 01:27

TomJ wrote:Getting geared up for a phone call saying the only way to fix your account is to delete the user and start over... "We've deleted all your exam records..."
A-fkng-Hem, huh, the what the?

Hey Tom, I'm feeling your pain.

When I was doing my theory a few years ago we had 3 years to complete all subjects. I did my first one, then did nothing for about 2 years, then I starting knocking the rest of them out fairly quickly. I think I still had one more exam to go when I realised my first one was about to drop out of the 3 year window, which I thought no big deal, I'll just do that one again. This meant I would have completed all 7 subjects within a 10 month period.

However, according to CASA, because I didn't complete all my subjects in the 3 year period from the date of my first exam, ALL subject results were to become null and void and the 3 year period was to begin all over again. This meant I was to resit ALL of the exams I had just sat and passed over the preceding few months. I can tell you I wasn't a happy chappy.

Gator
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Fri Oct 4 2013, 10:05

Gator, one of he good things is that three year problem no longer exists. It is a rolling period and yes you would only have to the (one) out of date.
Unfortunately, you now only have two years to complete all of the exams!
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
TomJ
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TomJ » Tue Oct 8 2013, 12:34

Finally....
3rd time round.
Bullsh*t sorted.
Able to sit HUF.
And happy to report 83%.
(If it counts for anything, 3% above the other guy who sat it for me 2 weeks ago).
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Fri Oct 11 2013, 04:27

The need for a BAK is still a circular argument. I am unable to find any legislative requirement for a BAK as a prerequisite for sitting the CPL(H) exams. It will change in Dec, but that is not relevant yet.

I have emailed fcl.exams@casa.gov.au to clarify the situation.

The major concern until we get a resolution is this section from here;
Failure to satisfy these mandatory pre-qualifications

If a candidate has been inadvertently permitted to undertake an exam without satisfying the appropriate prequalification requirement(s), this shall be taken as the candidate knowingly sat that CASA exam without mandatory pre-requisite qualification. CASA will consider any pass result(s) in the exam(s) undertaken as null and void, and invalidate them.

The last thing anyone wants is for a student to roll up to a flight test and be told, "No, you have to do that particular theory exam again..."

I believe the issue revolves around the info being given to ASL after the change to PEXO. Everyone is preparing for the Part 61 change. But it hasn't happened yet and amendments are still being issued.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Thu Oct 17 2013, 01:29

More info coming to light.
The BAK(H) is not a current legal requirement and ASL are not allowed to turn students away. Although most of the invigilators are only acting on CASA's instructions.
I have ruffled a few feathers at CASA over the last couple of days and this is all being looked at closely.

I have also spoken to someone who issues the letter in lieu and the pile is building up. I don't think CASA realised how many helicopter students require the letter. I also pointed out that due to Part 202.277A, the current Part 5 CPL and PPL course can be taught for another 3 years. So the BAK requirement does not become law for another 3 years. They have taken that info on board. In fact one of the guys at CASA who liaises with ASL didn't even know that this amendment exists.

We have a BAK(H) course and test(s) at our office, but I know that most don't. My constant question to CASA is, why are students being demanded to produce evidence of a test that is not a legal requirement and why does CASA have this on their own website?
If a candidate has been inadvertently permitted to undertake an exam without satisfying the appropriate prequalification requirement(s), this shall be taken as the candidate knowingly sat that CASA exam without mandatory pre-requisite qualification. CASA will consider any pass result(s) in the exam(s) undertaken as null and void, and invalidate them.

Talk about making students stress unnecessarily!

My advice, get a BAK(H) done if you can, even though legally you don't need it, or email CASA on the FCL email above. Or both!
If you get the letter, remember it will have an expiry date of Dec 2013. Again, the amendment has not been taken into account.

Also, only the CFI can sign the BAK(H) pass in your logbook. No other instructor can sign it unless that person is approved to supervise the PPL(H) PEXO exam at your flight school.
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Imout » Thu Oct 17 2013, 03:06

Chasing feedback re KDRs
For anyone who has recently sat an exam with ASL and passed. Did you get issued a KDR at the time or were you advised that CASA is now responsible for issuing KDRs and you had to apply?
A simple - I was issued with one, I wasn't issued with one is fine
Timmy!
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Timmy! » Thu Oct 17 2013, 04:33

I sat two ATPL exams yesterday and got a KDR for both. It did take 20mins of waiting though to get the second one. Just a flaw with the new system apparently when the supervisor couldn't log on to print it. She didn't say anything about not issuing them anymore.
...and the Lords of the underworld!
DADFA
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby DADFA » Thu Oct 17 2013, 06:49

I sat an exam last Monday and was issued a KDR as usual.

Edit: I applied for and received a letter in lieu of BAK which was accepted no questions asked. Thanks for the heads up on that one.
Ian Batton
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Ian Batton » Fri Oct 18 2013, 01:44

You are doing great work Col,
keep it up lots of people are being helped by your efforts.
Now where's my beer
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Fri Oct 18 2013, 03:40

Thanks Bats.
Nice to hear.
rotors99
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby rotors99 » Fri Oct 18 2013, 03:49

I emailed ASL re the BAK question. They said; if Your sitting ATP exams, you would have a CPL, so, the BAK is not required Oc:=

With regards to your BAK query, as the two exams you have booked are ATPL exams, you will not be required to have anything relating to a BAK to be able to sit these exams. Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Naomi Barker
Administration Officer

Land back happy always :lol:
Zebt
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zebt » Fri Oct 18 2013, 03:52

Ian Batton wrote:You are doing great work Col,
keep it up lots of people are being helped by your efforts.

Second the above and your presentation at Pacific 2013 was very informative, in fact the event (the few hours I could spare to be there) was excellent.
Last edited by Zebt on Fri Oct 18 2013, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby AHIA » Fri Oct 18 2013, 07:49

Colin,

Agree - you are doing a great job!

Thanks.

AHIA Secretary
Twoheads

Postby Twoheads » Fri Oct 18 2013, 08:21

ASL Highett still has the paper in the window stateing that BAK is only required for CPL(A).
TomJ
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TomJ » Mon Oct 21 2013, 05:17

Cheers CY and all for input/efforts on this.

Finally got there... Sat last of my CPL exams this morn...
Wasn't even asked about the BAK Exemption letter.

yep.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Wed Nov 20 2013, 03:49

Heliduck wrote:Sounds like a real cluster...

Let's see how long it takes for the new federal government to can the planned changes for December 4 & throw another spanner in the works!!

I wish I could pick the Lottery numbers this well!!
"Plan twice...Fly once"
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby KOALA » Sun Dec 25 2016, 03:01

Hello All and Merry Christmas :D

I am due to start some CASA CPL tests on the east coast in the coming weeks.

I have been looking for "exact" requirements when it comes to the number of tags and or dividers in AIP, ERSA, Law books etc ect

I have been told different things by different people, however I would like to find the exact requirements under CASA rules and regulations. I have heard of some people going in and not having any issues, then others going in a few days later with the exact material and being told they can't use it!!

Does anyone know where I can find this and share a link with me? I have been looking at CASA website, however have been unable to locate anything.

Is it CASA that stipulates this requirement or is it the ASPEQ examination centres?

Would greatly appreciate the feedback.

Thanks in advance.
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Dec 25 2016, 03:14

Personally I would get used to not using tags. It will gelpnyou throughout your career by just using the index or glossary's to find things quickly.

Doesn't answer your question, just my 2c though.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Return to “Flight Training”