EVO 252 helmet?

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
wingznbladez
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: EVO 252 helmet?

Postby wingznbladez » Mon Apr 20 2015, 11:36

Im looking at a 150 but have heard that the outside visor collects a lot of dust, how has the experience been with that?

They are some cool looking helmets, the red with chrome visor looks s#!t hot! :cool_slp:
bigglesbutler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigglesbutler » Sat Apr 25 2015, 02:08

Damnit it looks like they took the Zulu option off the 252 so disregard my previous comment, shame.

Si
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sat Apr 25 2015, 02:58

Has anyone else looked into using a motorsports type helmet? I've been doing a bit of research, as I'm becoming super paranoid about my hearing as I'm getting older. My concern with aviation specific helmets has always been the lack of development. Gentex designs being 40 odd years old and the New Gallet is just ridiculously over priced (standing by to be flamed about "what price your head" again) Motorsport development is moving at such rapid pace particularly in the field of safety that the level of protection available should be far superior. Given that they are also pre-installed with comms only minor modification should be required.

Thoughts..
The Scarlett Harlot
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby The Scarlett Harlot » Sat Apr 25 2015, 03:09

What?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sat Apr 25 2015, 07:04

Gentex do a lot of R&D with their helmets. All the U.S. Mil and USCG studies on the 56/P are available online with all the noise and crash protection info etc
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
430 driver

EVO 052, 152 and 252

Postby 430 driver » Wed May 6 2015, 15:35

I am here to answer all the questions and rumors about the EVO series of helmets. First, it is not a copy of the Gallet...and thank god for it. The Gallet is a nice helmet, but it is weak in every respect when you compare it to other helmets and no comparison to the EVO. The EVO is 1.30 cm or 1/2 inch wider than the Gallet. the width allows for a more comfortable fit. The shell is also twice the thickness. 3.1mm versus 1.6 in the Gallet. The Gentex and Alpha is also 1.5 to 1.6. This was done to make the helmet stronger on the impact performance and the side effect was a very quite helmet.

Chin strap, The EVO has aircraft aluminum anchors and the option of either 300 or 440 pound pull strength. The Gallet is plastic and if it makes 300 lbs,which I have never seen it reach that in tests, it is more likely to come undone in the initial impact resulting in the helmet falling off. The EVO Chin strap also comes with a lifetime warranty, the Gallet.... don't think so! The Chin strap buckle on the Alpha 900 will break at about 300.

Lenses rotator on the EVO has a deep serration so your grip is better, the Gallet is smooth. The edge beading is real rubber, not plastic and the helmet has a quick disconnect cable system, so you can replace the cable without having to take apart the helmet to replace the comm cord. It also serves as a fast cable change in case your flying different machines with different connectors, I.e Uk Nato, TP 120 or the 174U, Chinese Fisher plug, etc.

The EVO is also lighter, not by much, but it is lighter as a complete helmet. Comes with the upgrades, such as Zeta liner and Soft Seal combo which you pay for from anyone else and if you opt for the Bose, you get it installed the right way.

Cost, Yes it is cheaper, but not cheap. The cost of the helmet was a decision between the owners of EVO, who by the way are both Pilots and decided that a fair profit margin did not equal ripping off hard working low paid pilots. The MSA Gallet in Europe with a carbon visor cover is $1200.00. Then you add exclusive territory, and I am going to get rich off a helmet and the cost explodes to $2600.00 in the USA. Australians pay over $3000.00. Same story on the Alpha. In the USA the Alpha sells for $1800.00 with Carbon Visor Cover. in Australia, double that. Why?
back to exclusive sales. If you remember, Helicopter Helmet had a shop in Loganholme, QLD. They were selling the Alpha for the same price as in the USA and the AU Alpha distributors were a little upset. The same went with Gallet. HHC sold the Gallet in the USA and were told that they could not sell, repair or even touch the Gallet in Australia. Hence out of sight prices. Helmet repairs in Australia were also out of sight. To replace a downlead in Alpha was over $400.00 wow.... in the USA, its $120.00. There is not much more expense in sending a cord to AU, but it comes back to Exclusive territory and what I can get away with!

The EVO was developed between Aviation Survival, Helicopter Helmet, United Design and Hammerhead Aviation and the helmet after two years of R&D was offered at the same price, no matter where you live! Yes you may pay more for Taxes depending where you live, but the helmet is priced at a fair cost to value and location is not an issue. You can thank Ron Abbott for that because he has friends in AU and was serious about the cost to pilots.

In addition, the components used to make the EVO are high grade to include the comms. There is nothing cheap about the mic, boom, speakers and comm cables. As pilots we all know the feeling of having crap for comms when your in trouble, so no cheating on the comms, which is why the EVO helmets have better sound quality than most other helmets, without having to pay for upgrades.

So when you look at the other helmets offered in AU, take a look at the EVO and compare it to the rest of the helmets out there and you will see the difference in both the feel, comfort and performance.

The company has decided to help Pilots in Australia and New Zealand. They will pay for the shipping to Australia or NZ to help reduce the cost of the EVO. Place your order online and the address to either location and the account will be credited for the shipping to a max of $125.00. This offer is available thru all EVO dealers. And yes, EVO still gives you a free high quality Helmet bag....Sorry, you pay for that with everyone else.

youtube video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o56cbuDHr0I&feature=youtu.be

The EVO Team
bubble bugs
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bubble bugs » Wed May 6 2015, 20:05

Thanks fo the info 430. There is a lot of interest in these helmets and I think a lot of guys will give the Evo a go after a few guinea pigs are happy with theirs. This may even include me! There isn't a lot of info on them that I have seen apart from the YouTube info video and would be interested in hearing what the helmet is like from guys that put it to work with their head out the door for hours etc. I am a gallet person myself but have to agree with the dismal service and support from gallet in North America and especially Australia, so if they become a popular proven helmet I think that is a win for the average line pilot around the world!
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Thu May 7 2015, 00:27

Maybe Dan1978 will chime in. I think he is the South Pacific rep for them.
Redlining in neutral
430 driver

Postby 430 driver » Thu May 7 2015, 13:00

There is no designated rep in the pacific for the EVO. Need to buy direct
Bigdog
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Bigdog » Wed May 27 2015, 20:23

Can anyone point me in the direction of the AUSTRALIAN distributor? Every company link I click on ends up in the good ol USA?

Bigdog
lordflashheart
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby lordflashheart » Thu May 28 2015, 07:00

Aviation Survival are the international distributor. I bought mine through them, no probs. Arrived quick time.

http://www.aviationsurvival.com/EVOLUTI ... c_227.html

252 with all the options, love it. FYI I've had Alpha, Gentex 56 and 84. It's the best.
WOOF WOOF!
9Copter9

Postby 9Copter9 » Thu Dec 17 2015, 21:03

I'm thinking of getting an Evo 252 or something from Alpha. Maybe the 900. The Evo is cheaper but I've heard it's pretty good. Any advice?
Tumeke

Postby Tumeke » Mon Sep 12 2016, 15:44

Personally I am very disappointed with my Evo. I had a Gallet 050 for 10 years and decided to upgrade and made the mistake of switching to EVO after [poor] advice from a friend. The repetitive false promises on delivery time I could handle but the poor amateur install of the bose I was disgusted with. I could have done a better job myself and intend to in the next few weeks.

Ear cups continue to fall out, insulation tape wrapped around ear cup and slipping off showing glue and no rubber grommets to protect wiring on plastic edges of holes in ear cup.

It is also a different fit to the Gallet. My head was 1 cm smaller than the XL but I ordered the XL anyway and its still too tight on the front of my head.

My advice is spend your hard earned cash on a reputable brand like Gallet and stay away from this cheap knock off (at least until they improve there quality)
Noah

Postby Noah » Sun Sep 25 2016, 16:05

Tumeke wrote:Personally I am very disappointed with my Evo. I had a Gallet 050 for 10 years and decided to upgrade and made the mistake of switching to EVO after [poor] advice from a friend. The repetitive false promises on delivery time I could handle but the poor amateur install of the bose I was disgusted with. I could have done a better job myself and intend to in the next few weeks.

Ear cups continue to fall out, insulation tape wrapped around ear cup and slipping off showing glue and no rubber grommets to protect wiring on plastic edges of holes in ear cup.

It is also a different fit to the Gallet. My head was 1 cm smaller than the XL but I ordered the XL anyway and its still too tight on the front of my head.

My advice is spend your hard earned cash on a reputable brand like Gallet and stay away from this cheap knock off (at least until they improve there quality)

i agree with you here as i myself was very disappointed with EVO 252 same issue with the size and anyway i still decided to give a shot wore it once took me 3 Nurofen to kill the pain
I Love Bladeslapper.com and Phenq-results.com (Follow My Journey)
chopperdavo
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby chopperdavo » Wed Sep 28 2016, 11:20

Least you've received an Evo helmet...

Now nearly 5 months and counting....

Apparently don't choose a green helmet if you ever actually want to receive it
Flying a Helicopter is living the dream....
Collegeboy

Postby Collegeboy » Fri Sep 30 2016, 17:47

I bought the 052 a few months ago for the dusting season up here in Canada. Mr. Abbott said I would have the helmet in 3 weeks, because I ordered a helmet that he had in stock.

I called two weeks later to see when it would be shipped, the lady I talked to said it takes 4 -6 weeks to get built. Explained that I was told I would get it in 3 and I only ordered because it would be here that soon. She said she would get back to me about it. I recieved an email later that day saying it had been shipped with tracking number.

When it showed up two weeks later I opened it up right away to check it out. No I fly a fixed wing. The helmet came with a Helicopter plug not the Dual GA plugs I asked for. I also asked for the pull the dot style chin strap. It came with a magnetic one. And every other time I would take my helmet off an ear cup would fall out.

I sen Mr. Abbott and email and called, telling him I recieved the wrong cord. He said he would send me a new one with an envelope to return the old one. A week later the new cable arrived in Canada. It was the wrong cable again. I took a picture of the two cables I had and the connection on the back of the helmet that looked Mickey Mouse. He said he would send me the proper cable. I'm still waiting for the new cable.

As for the ear cup falling out of the helmet, well I took almost everything out of the helmet to see how it all goes together. Noticed that the ear cup had Velcro on it to stick to the helmet. I wasn't to surprised as I had read every review and forum on helmets before my purchase. But the inside of the helmet where the ear up goes didn't have the receiving piece of Velcro.

Ron told me because of the thicker she'll of the helmet I probably didn't need noise cancelling, and I was trying to keep the price down. So I opted for no noise cancelling. That was my mistake. I finally ripped the helmet apart and my Bose A20. Drilled a hole in the helmet for the mic. Put it all together and now I have a helmet where the ear cups don't fall out, I don't need the 50 dollar adapter so I can use the comms and a few extra small holes in the helmet.

CB
Liamjohn

Postby Liamjohn » Sat Oct 1 2016, 17:55

Has anyone else looked into using a motorsports type helmet? I've been doing a bit of research, as I'm becoming super paranoid about my hearing as I'm getting older. My concern with aviation specific helmets has always been the lack of development. Gentex designs being 40 odd years old and the New Gallet is just ridiculously over priced (standing by to be flamed about "what price your head" again) Motorsport development is moving at such rapid pace particularly in the field of safety that the level of protection available should be far superior. Given that they are also pre-installed with comms only minor modification should be required.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sun Oct 2 2016, 06:19

(standing by to be flamed about "what price your head" again)

As I'm sure you will, though possibly not as much as you would on the Dark Side.

I have postulated on this subject a number of times myself. One thing to bear in mind is that most motorsport comms systems are low impedance as used in the 225 :cry: and the 412, so may have to convert for other aircraft types. Personally I agree with the points you have raised above the only issue I can see is possibly visors as lip light additions would be easy. Stilo make some fantastic helmets and they are very light for the amount of protection provided. At $1095 for the trophy it's considerably cheaper and about the same weight as a 252, just need to add a visor system.

My two penorth.
rotors99
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby rotors99 » Sun Oct 2 2016, 10:10

NorthWall...........anyday, everyday :D
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Sun Oct 2 2016, 22:01

NorthWall...........anyday, everyday :D

I agree, hands down best helmet I have owned. I have had Gallet, Alpha and Gentex.
Redlining in neutral

Return to “Equipment”