S76 ANR Headsets

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
GD

S76 ANR Headsets

Postby GD » Mon Oct 29 2007, 00:25

Anybody have any feedback / advise on headsets for the S76? The BOSE ANR I tried was disappointing (in the 76). CEP seems to work reasonably well but I was wondering if anyone had tried the David Clark ENR or similar?
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon Oct 29 2007, 03:27

I cant comment on the ANR or flying in an S76, but several people have mentioned that the ANR is great with the low frequency stuff, but the high frequency noise cancellation is not great...I imagine the 76 is more of a high frequency noise aircraft???

I fly a 500 and they absolutely scream inside the cabin...a normal DC headset works pretty good and the new Alpha Eagle is really really good. I asked about ANR for the helmet and was advised that, for the high frequency noise, the ANR is not great and the Alpha Eagle is such a good helmet you wont notice a difference.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon Oct 29 2007, 04:39

Once you’ve used ANR you won’t go back. I had it retro fitted to my Gentex SPH-5, which I thought was good without it :idea: . Anyone know of good Gel ear seals for the aforementioned Gentex? :?:

SP 8)
Bloke
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bloke » Mon Oct 29 2007, 05:30

I have to agree with Mr Pig, once you've used the ANR, you can't go back. I spent a lot of time in 500's also and the ANR got rid of the headaches and ringing ears I ended up with after a long day in the bloody thing. I even use it in the 120, gee it's quiet then!!!!

Bloke
bellslapper
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Gentex Helmets earseals

Postby bellslapper » Mon Oct 29 2007, 10:47

Hi there Skypig

hows things down there with the long white cloud?

I have been dealing with transaero recently http://www.transaeroinc.com/index.cfm

I asked these guys the same question regarding the gel ear seals.

Apparently the noise attenuation is greater with the standard gentex ear seal then with the gel, there for they don’t produce any.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Mon Oct 29 2007, 11:31

In the S76, I used the Sennheiser.... or was it the Alzheimer? I can't remember...

But whatever it was, it cut down the ambient noise to a very comfortable level. The only problem with them was the lack of depth in the earcup, so your ears were pressed against the side of the head which became uncomfortable.

Luckily, the 76B had such limited endurance that the problem only just started to appear as the fuel gauge dropped off the scale, so you got to take the headset off during the refuel.

Make sure you wear sunnies with thin arms, to minimise the ear-crushing discomfort.
GWhiz

S 76 Ambient Noise

Postby GWhiz » Thu Nov 22 2007, 17:03

Not an expert with the S 76, but understand whilst ANR provides good perception and handles the low frequncies well, it just can not cope with the high frequencies. We are all waiting and waithing for a digital version but that has been coming for some time now and has not arrived.

It's generally understood that CEP provides better all round noise attenuation, and more importantly provides superior hearing protection compared to ANR. That's one of the reasons why CEP has been selected by military users - e.g. Australia and New Zealand.

Gel ear cups are great for comfort but generally do not preform as well as the standard ones supllied with the helmets, and are more affected by cold ambient conditions. US Army I think went back to the standard Gentex ear cup seals.

Return to “Equipment”