Visors for Helmets.

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
Rotorpilot
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Visors for Helmets.

Postby Rotorpilot » Sun Jul 26 2020, 20:43

Hello fellow slappers,

I'm after preferences on tints, iridium finishes and placement prefrence please?

looking to refurbished my girl and wondering if I should rearage position of visors.

currently running grey inside yellow outside.
Blue side up, Brown side down.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Visors for Helmets.

Postby Eric Hunt » Mon Jul 27 2020, 02:39

While on an IF continuation trip, I heard my mate say "OWW!! Jeez that hurt!"

"What's up, Alfie?"

"I was checking that my clear visor was down, and I poked myself in the eye!"

But he WAS a fighter pilot.....
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon Jul 27 2020, 04:45

Very funny Eric.

During a short stint in Canada many moons ago I had the 'fanta orange' visor on the inside and grey outside. The fanta was great for operations in snow and very low visibility when all and any contrast helped. Since then, I replaced the 'fanta' with a clear inner visor. That suits me for offshore operations.

I've never heard of or seen helmets with orange on the outside or grey on the inside.

I have an Alpha Eagle and had it rebuilt a couple years ago. Both visors were scratched after 12 plus years so replaced them both. Thanks Red Baron.
Average joe

Postby Average joe » Mon Jul 27 2020, 11:01

What ever you like really, I like the one I think I’ll use the most, (for me the dark tinted visor) as the outside one. When it’s hot or my ambition exceeds my ability I sweat bullets and I prefer the visor a bit further away from my face.
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Mon Jul 27 2020, 21:10

FerrariFlyer wrote:Very funny Eric.

During a short stint in Canada many moons ago I had the 'fanta orange' visor on the inside and grey outside. The fanta was great for operations in snow and very low visibility when all and any contrast helped. Since then, I replaced the 'fanta' with a clear inner visor. That suits me for offshore operations.

I've never heard of or seen helmets with orange on the outside or grey on the inside.

I have an Alpha Eagle and had it rebuilt a couple years ago. Both visors were scratched after 12 plus years so replaced them both. Thanks Red Baron.

12+ years! I dare say you should be replacing the entire helmet not just the visors.

I'm sure the yellow visor is good in snowy conditions, but there's not too much of that in Aust. I paid the extra and put one on my first helmet. Never really used it. I've been running tint on outside , clear on inside.
Never used the mirrored/iridium ones, but they look pretty cool. I'd be curious how they go in a glass cockpit (are they polarised?)
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Rotorpilot
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Rotorpilot » Mon Jul 27 2020, 21:28

Yakking wrote:
FerrariFlyer wrote:Very funny Eric.

I'm sure the yellow visor is good in snowy conditions, but there's not too much of that in Aust. I paid the extra and put one on my first helmet. Never really used it. I've been running tint on outside , clear on inside.
Never used the mirrored/iridium ones, but they look pretty cool. I'd be curious how they go in a glass cockpit (are they polarised?)

I highly doubt the mirror finish is polarised just coating on the out side for sun reflection and astetics.

my helmet was second hand and came with yellow on the outer
and looking at Evo and Gallet visors pictures the dark lense is on the inside.

I like the idea of dark on the outside for clearance although its an extra $30usd for the privilege.
Last edited by Rotorpilot on Mon Jul 27 2020, 21:42, edited 2 times in total.
Blue side up, Brown side down.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon Jul 27 2020, 21:38

“Iridium” visors look cool, and sometimes claim other advantages, but certainly on motorcycle helmets are less durable than traditional “dark” visors.
I’ve always used the dark and clear combination.
aaron
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby aaron » Mon Jul 27 2020, 23:42

With my gallet, I use dark on the outside and yellow on the inside.
Yellow makes a big difference in low light situations, amazing how it makes things appear brighter :)
Pinnacle
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pinnacle » Tue Jul 28 2020, 00:51

I’m am intrigued to see who really uses the yellow visor
I know heli skiing in Canada my first season my training pilot smacked me in the head for attempting to use it. His lesson was go on use it then.. off we went happy as can be I can see EVERYTHING he then says ok no more yellow visor what do you see now.... his point was made you go from “1/2” mile into really low “1/2” mile
I found it forms a false sense of security
UnObvious
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby UnObvious » Tue Jul 28 2020, 02:30

Pinnacle wrote:I’m am intrigued to see who really uses the yellow visor
I know heli skiing in Canada my first season my training pilot smacked me in the head for attempting to use it. His lesson was go on use it then.. off we went happy as can be I can see EVERYTHING he then says ok no more yellow visor what do you see now.... his point was made you go from “1/2” mile into really low “1/2” mile
I found it forms a false sense of security

I was told use it to get yourself out of trouble, not into trouble.
Mind you I'm no heliski God like ol pinnacle here. Just a bog-ass fire pilot.
Hello Pilots
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Wed Jul 29 2020, 23:26

I’ve used my yellow visor a lot of times. White flat light, smoke, overcast. It all helps.
The dark visor even comes in handy in poor conditions like drizzly rain, low cloud and smoke. It can help differentiate layers and enhances depth perception. That being said caution should be used as it can lead one into as stated by others a false sense of situational awareness, which in turn could lead you very situationally unaware.
Jabberwocky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Jul 30 2020, 00:46

I’ve found that using both can help in some circumstances. The yellow sharpens the edges, then tint over the top takes the brightness out of it. Still prefer to not need the yellow as above.
TreeTrimmer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TreeTrimmer » Sun Aug 2 2020, 03:59

I have the grey inner visor Grey & yellow on the outer on my Gallet 250. I used to have a grey outer but but found when I was head out the door long lining, the wind swirling between the small gap between the bottom of the visor & my face, my eyes would tear up especially on cold days. No such problem when using the inner visor. Don't use the yellow often but has definitely got me through some tricky situations when required. Well worth having. 8)

Return to “Equipment”