GoPro Mount for Alpha and Comms recording

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
Jabberwocky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

GoPro Mount for Alpha and Comms recording

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Dec 6 2019, 04:48

Hello

I haven't even started looking yet but thought I'd start here to ask for any tips for mounting a GoPro to an Alpha helmet. I'd prefer to have it on the side if possible. Any other tips on how to connect the audio feeds to record that as well?

Thanks
robaussie99
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: GoPro Mount for Alpha and Comms recording

Postby robaussie99 » Fri Dec 6 2019, 06:03

Jabberwocky wrote:Hello

I haven't even started looking yet but thought I'd start here to ask for any tips for mounting a GoPro to an Alpha helmet. I'd prefer to have it on the side if possible. Any other tips on how to connect the audio feeds to record that as well?

Thanks

I just used some high quality epoxy glue to attach a gopro mount to the NVG plate that came with the helmet, then I lost that so a built my own NVG plate from a template and did the same thing. Worked great.

To avoid having more crap than necessary hanging off my helmet I purchased a cable online. Link below

https://m.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/avp ... ekQAvD_BwE

I then just record the audio via a voice recorder with a 3.5mm input jack and splice it in later. More work, but it just means I don’t have an extra cable hanging off my head while my head is out the door.
Jabberwocky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Dec 6 2019, 08:26

I did see that in the other thread, but is your mount on the centre of the helmet? Does it get in the way of your field of view?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Fri Dec 6 2019, 13:48

Side mounts don’t work very well.

My back to back on a fire contract had a side mount and kept scratching up the door window on the 412. Probably be even worse in a tighter cockpit
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
robaussie99
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby robaussie99 » Fri Dec 6 2019, 15:40

Jabberwocky wrote:I did see that in the other thread, but is your mount on the centre of the helmet? Does it get in the way of your field of view?

Yep. Right in the Center. Doesn’t affect FOV whatsoever. Agree with havick. In the front is the only place where it won’t drive you crazy getting hung up and caught on stuff
Chang739
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chang739 » Mon Dec 9 2019, 08:32

I use this cable (https://www.flightstore.com.au/nflightc ... ower-cable). It sits between the headset and the audio jack and captures headset audio (radio, intercom) as if it was an external microphone. This means the gopro footage will basically be a silent film unless someones talking, so if you want ambient engine sounds youll have to record a separate track on your phone or with another gopro like I do.

This cable is good because it also has a mini-usb port so you can hook up a battery pack to keep the gopro going longer than the flimsy 30m or so they normally last. With a good sized battery pack, the limiting factor is now the mico SD card.

Make sure you buy the most expensive micro SD card you can find, ones with high transfer speeds, otherwise it wont be able to keep up with the data coming from the camera.

Yes, you'll have a lot of cables hanging off of your head, but its pretty manageable, no different to having normal headset coils bouncing around all flight. They are nice and long so you just put them behind your shoulder and keep them out of the way of the controls.

Cheers,

Chang
Jabberwocky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Dec 9 2019, 12:44

Thank you both for the tips.
Chang739
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chang739 » Tue Dec 10 2019, 02:46

Also make sure you grab the right cable for your GoPro, I'm gonna put mine up for sale for a GoPro 3 as I just got a newer gopro and will also need to get the newer cable. PITA because they're so expensive.
robaussie99
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby robaussie99 » Tue Dec 10 2019, 04:46

Chang739 wrote:Also make sure you grab the right cable for your GoPro, I'm gonna put mine up for sale for a GoPro 3 as I just got a newer gopro and will also need to get the newer cable. PITA because they're so expensive.

Another great reason to keep the recorder and the gopro seperate.

Return to “Equipment”