Custom Moulded Hearing Protection - With and without CEP?

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Custom Moulded Hearing Protection - With and without CEP?

Postby KOALA » Sat Apr 27 2019, 01:51

Hi Slappers,

I just wanted to ask if anyone here has used or are using Custom Moulded Hearing Protection from Audio Sculpt or Earmold Australia? Have previously used hearing protection similar to Pacific ears style plugs, but didn't find them the best and broke fairly quickly.

Happy to consider any other options / recommendations as well.

I have looked around and they (Audio Sculpt / Earmold Australia) seem to be the best option for custom hearing protection!

So having said that, if anyone is using them I have a few questions:

1. Are there any pilots using them up North, in hot, humid and dusty climates? If so how are they overall? How do they fell after a few hours of flying in that climate / conditions?

2. Anyone using them just as a moulded ear plug without CEP with a Bose A20 headset / helmet? How dose it compare just using the headset on its own?

3. Anyone using them with CEP with a Bose A20 headset or helmet? How dose it compare just using the headset on its own?

Happy to hear back on any one using them, just not from the guys and girls in North Australia as I fly in cooler climates as well.

What is the general view on using or not using CEP with Headsets / Helmets?

Look forward to hearing back and reading constructive comments on personal experiences with them.

Cheers,

Koala :D 8) pop;
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Custom Moulded Hearing Protection - With and without CEP?

Postby Evil Twin » Sat Apr 27 2019, 03:04

Some answers:-

1. I used CEP with both foam and moulded tips with a headset all across from Darwin to Karratha foam tips don't last long when combined with heat, humidity and sweat.
2. I find the moulded tips a quantum leap better than foam tips.
3. You're wasting your time and money using CEP with ANR as CEP negates the need for ANR.

I have used CEP with both Gentex and Alpha helmets also with David Clark and Peltor headsets. Don't bother with the CME tubes as they're rubbish and don't last long. My CEP sets generally last about 4 times as long as the CME tubes lasted and I won't ever use CME again.

As you can probably tell I am a CEP fan and don't fly without it. You can run your radios at a much lower level as the sound is delivered close to the eardrum, the tips also prevent a lot of unwanted (damaging) noise getting to the ear.

My 2c
kymboa
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby kymboa » Sat Apr 27 2019, 04:35

G'day Koala,

I used CEP for the first time over the summer and was pretty pleased with the results. It was in Victoria so not too humid so can't comment on that.

I will say that when I initially had the moulds done it was by a local third party as suggested by Audio Sculpt. The result was not up to standard and had to send them to Audio Sculpt for extra work done. I have to say they were great to deal with and had them back pretty quick and felt great in the ear.

As far as standing the test of time I've done 150 hours in them with no problems so far. Definitely worth it when you consider the price of ANR helmets.

Hope this helps.
RotorBez
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RotorBez » Sat Apr 27 2019, 07:17

Hello Koala,

Helo Chaise with custom moulded inserts are IMHO the ONLY way to go. I used to have a set of Bose A20's and got rid of them for;

David Clarke H10-60's
Helo Chaise with custom ear molds *(Absolutely get them done by Scott directly though as the earmould results that I have seen have been very hit and miss)
CEP connector installed on headset.

This way I can use the moulded ear inserts with HeloChaise on both headset and helmet.

If it helps I have run this solution for about 18 months now flying almost everyday and it hasn't missed a beat. I try to help my students by giving as unbiased advise as possible however it is very rare that they waste their money on ANR *(from any manufacturer).

PM if you need / would like more details.

RB
Icefather
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Icefather » Sat Apr 27 2019, 08:45

RotorBez wrote:
David Clarke H10-60's
Helo Chaise with custom ear molds *(Absolutely get them done by Scott directly though as the earmould results that I have seen have been very hit and miss)
CEP connector installed on headset.

PM if you need / would like more details.

RB

Hey RB

I looked into getting the Helo Chais, but being currently based in NZ it just seemed to difficult to get the moulds sorted any advice or links to where you got them from would be appreciated

IF
RotorBez
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RotorBez » Mon Apr 29 2019, 08:46

Icefather wrote:
I looked into getting the Helo Chais, but being currently based in NZ it just seemed to difficult to get the moulds sorted any advice or links to where you got them from would be appreciated

IF

Mate,

Try to get hold of Scott directly via;

http://audiosculpt.com.au/ and ask him specifically what sort of impression / moulding needs to happen. I know that earmold have cocked it up a few times of late for some of my students thus I now try to organise a 'bulk' moulding for those who are wise enough to go this route. I would be amazed if there wasn't anywhere in NZ that offered this as I have custom moulded ear inserts that were done in another country too so it isn't anything unique to Australia.

All the best mate and "Good Choice!" :wink:

RB
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Mon Apr 29 2019, 09:06

A bunch of our crewies at work (10+) have had Helo Chais/CME forced on them by someone with no experience of using either. After a few months they are all failing, just sayin...... I have 3000+hrs of using both CEP/CME and CEP is vastly superior, more comfortable and more reliable. Most militaries around the world issue helmet with CEP. Both times I tried CME/Helo Chais they failed in under 400hrs, save your money, do it right first time.
RotorBez
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RotorBez » Mon Apr 29 2019, 10:19

Evil Twin wrote:A bunch of our crewies at work (10+) have had Helo Chais/CME forced on them by someone with no experience of using either. After a few months they are all failing, just sayin...... I have 3000+hrs of using both CEP/CME and CEP is vastly superior, more comfortable and more reliable. Most militaries around the world issue helmet with CEP. Both times I tried CME/Helo Chais they failed in under 400hrs, save your money, do it right first time.

Koala,

Of course there is always the opinion from those with more experience than I and Evil Twin makes his case from that perspective and should be listened to.

If you went the CEP route initially this would be cheaper *(assuming they worked for you!!) than going the MEP route. They can be obtained from this site from memory however they can also be obtained cheaply from ebay. If they don't work you will be out of pocket less than the MEP solution which having worn both is in my opinion the better of the two.

RB
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Apr 29 2019, 11:40

I hated the original out of the box CEP. I haven’t tried Moulded CEP, but have used Helo Chais. I really liked it but the tubes do go hard in the sun, getting a season out of them at best. Depending on the moisture levels in your ears you have to pull the tubes off every couple of days to clear the moisture out of the tubes (make them appear to not work as the moisture builds up and blocks the tubes). If you’re not careful when putting the tubes back in they can pull out in flight. They are manageable, they do become a little tedious but worth the effort for the ear production and clarity of audio.
My current helmet has ANR and it sucks if you have your doors off and/or head out of the window. And there isn’t a lot of evidence that it’s actually good for your ears even though it does sound quieter.
rex bivouac
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby rex bivouac » Tue Apr 30 2019, 00:24

I use custom moulded ear plugs with 25db filters. Got them from Bay Audiology in NZ.

Have worn them under headsets and helmets and would not fly without them.

Hot climates and cold they work great.

All the breast.
KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby KOALA » Thu May 2 2019, 07:23

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments and recommendations. Some good and varying views from experienced crew.

I will make a choice down the track and hopefully it is the right one. If not, will try again.

Cheers, :D

Koala
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)

Return to “Equipment”