ANR or CEP for helmet?

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
nuggs
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

ANR or CEP for helmet?

Postby nuggs » Mon May 21 2018, 11:13

i'm looking at picking up a new helmet with ANR or CEP hearing protection. i like the idea of the ANR more as i don't like wearing earplugs, but heard it doesn't offer very good noise protection so you should wear earplugs underneath anyway? anyone got advice on which to choose?
Thanks
Skid Marks
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: ANR or CEP for helmet?

Postby Skid Marks » Mon May 21 2018, 20:55

Definately CEP IMHO.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon May 21 2018, 22:43

Skid Marks wrote:Definately CEP IMHO.

Yes, get the CEP plug installed on your helmet, then get a set of Helo CHAIS with moulded ear plugs. They are bomb proof and cut out basically all noise passively, no batteries etc and don’t have the issues of CEPs with the dinky cable that goes to the war pieces.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Mon May 21 2018, 23:14

+1 for CEP/CME
Icefather
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Icefather » Mon May 21 2018, 23:44

havick wrote:

Yes, get the CEP plug installed on your helmet, then get a set of Helo CHAIS with moulded ear plugs. They are bomb proof and cut out basically all noise passively, no batteries etc and don’t have the issues of CEPs with the dinky cable that goes to the war pieces.

Havick, these helo chaos are they just wireless earplugs? Are they wired ? Haven’t heard much about them
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Mon May 21 2018, 23:49

Icefather. They're basically tubes that pipe the sound to the ear mould from the outlet on the back of the helmet (more complicated than that but you get the idea). Earmoulds are definitely a big plus too. CEP are wires
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Mon May 21 2018, 23:55

nuggs wrote:i'm looking at picking up a new helmet with ANR or CEP hearing protection. i like the idea of the ANR more as i don't like wearing earplugs, but heard it doesn't offer very good noise protection so you should wear earplugs underneath anyway? anyone got advice on which to choose?
Thanks

Depends on the style of flying you're going to do. Anything with doors off/open, I'd go down the CEP/MEP path as the ANR doesn't seem to work very well with the reverberation of the air going though the cockpit/cabin (think of that really annoying noise you get in your car when driving fast and someone has the window down).

But; If you don't like earplugs and aren't conducting door open ops, then ANR should be fine.
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Bront
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bront » Tue May 22 2018, 00:06

I just love the CEP's but have never tried ANR. I mainly fly doors off VRLL and wear glasses so not sure ANR would work anyway. Never had a problem with the wires and probably have 1500 hours on mine. I do have a spare set though, just in case.

You get used to wearing them very quickly, to the point that it doesn't feel right without them.

And they really make a difference to the amount of noise you hear, I strongly recommend them.
nuggs
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby nuggs » Tue May 22 2018, 01:05

Thanks for the replies, sounds like cep is the way to go and will save me some play money as well.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue May 22 2018, 05:16

Icefather wrote:
havick wrote:

Havick, these helo chais are they just wireless earplugs? Are they wired ? Haven’t heard much about them

No same concept as CEP’s except use pneumatic rubber tubes instead of wires. Earpieces are simply moulded ear plugs.
RotorBez
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RotorBez » Wed May 23 2018, 09:55

Absolutely CEP/MEP every single day of the week! And as per Havick's comments I'm a very strong believer and advocate of the Helo Chais solution *(I have NOTHING to do with them either!)
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Wed May 23 2018, 10:44

I have a helmet with both fitted.
I don’t like putting things in my ears all the time, especially for long periods, so prefer the ANR.
ANR does have the limitations mentioned - requires a good earseal, and doesn’t often “handle” the pressure changes associated with “door off/open” flight regimes.
Personal preference, partially based on your operations.

I want a new helmet, with Bose ANR (far from uncommon). Over A$6000 (with normal stuff like dual visors,NVG mounts) :shock:
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Thu May 24 2018, 09:57

I have cep with halo chase, and to be honest I don’t like it, first of all it’s a pain in that’s it’s another thing you got to do, also if your tubes get bent or blocked you can’t here anything this could be sweat or wax, I find I’m turning the volume up on radios while making it loud for everyone else.

I’m going to revert to ANR.

End of the day personal choice.
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu May 24 2018, 23:18

I’ve had a few issues with the CHAIS too.

I need to blow the lines out with air twice a week or so to clear any moisture out that can block the tubes.
If you dislodge them when putting your helmet on it can be a pain in the arse until you pull your helmet off and re seat them.
I found the spiral audio tubes would go hard, think it’s the UV or similar. Scott has replaced them with straight tubes, however they are a tiny bit thicker diameter so when I inserted them in to my moulded ear plugs, they have split the plugs after a few weeks around the tube hole area. Thus tearing my ear apart which I’m finding hard to get to heal when I’m flying 6 days/week. I’ve taken to not using them of late until I get new plugs moulded.

When they work they are great. And Scott has always provided excellent service.
Bront
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bront » Fri May 25 2018, 00:12

I don't understand the issue of the wires in the CEP's. Like I said before, I have been using my set for at least 1500 hours over 10 years, or more and never had a problem. I bought a spare set recently and they have changed the design slightly, to maybe fix an issue that was there in the past but my original ones are still like new. If you be kind to them, then I don't see any reason for them to break. If you're paranoid then buy a spare set, they don't cost much (probably less than the CHAIS) and you will probably be good for the rest of your career. I also prefer the foam plugs, they are cheap and simple and it doesn't matter if you loose one. Once you work out which size fits you, buy a packet of them and life is sweet. If I'm doing ground runs I just put the CEP's in and don't bother with the helmet, they cut out that much noise it's not worth the hassle.

I have no connection to CEP. I just believe that they are brilliant and wish they had been around when I first started flying, maybe then my hearing wouldn't be f#@$%d!
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: ANR or CEP for helmet

Postby havick » Sat May 26 2018, 22:54

Bront wrote:I don't understand the issue of the wires in the CEP's. Like I said before, I have been using my set for at least 1500 hours over 10 years, or more and never had a problem. I bought a spare set recently and they have changed the design slightly, to maybe fix an issue that was there in the past but my original ones are still like new. If you be kind to them, then I don't see any reason for them to break. If you're paranoid then buy a spare set, they don't cost much (probably less than the CHAIS) and you will probably be good for the rest of your career. I also prefer the foam plugs, they are cheap and simple and it doesn't matter if you loose one. Once you work out which size fits you, buy a packet of them and life is sweet. If I'm doing ground runs I just put the CEP's in and don't bother with the helmet, they cut out that much noise it's not worth the hassle.

I have no connection to CEP. I just believe that they are brilliant and wish they had been around when I first started flying, maybe then my hearing wouldn't be f#@$%d!

How often are you putting your helmet on and off each day? As far as the CEP wires go it’s not so much hours flown but amount of times you put the helmet on and off (think turbine cycles vs maintenance time).

My wires broke every 6-8 months when I was doing 4-8 sorties a day (700 hours a year ish). Then change that to 1-2 flights a day but longer hours then they lasted a lot longer.

Personally I liked the helo chais over cep for the comfort of the moulded ear plugs, better noise reduction and better sound. Nothing really wrong with CEP, like you said just keep a spare set. Either way CEP or helo CHAIS, I preferred over ANR by a long way.

Return to “Equipment”