Booster seat for pilot?

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
2Short

Booster seat for pilot?

Postby 2Short » Sat Apr 7 2018, 09:34

I'm a super short student pilot and am too short to to fly comfortably in the Bell 47 I'm currently learning in. I need something that will effectively move me forward in the seat without lifting me too high so I can reach the pedals and still rest my arm on my leg. I'm at a bit of a loss about what to do. What to young kids do when learning?
bladefapper

Re: Booster seat for pilot?

Postby bladefapper » Sat Apr 7 2018, 12:05

Have u tried a back support cushion?
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Sat Apr 7 2018, 13:08

Have you tried the R22 with the adjustable pedal version plus the back support cushion mod?. Might give you a slight advantage. :wink:
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Sat Apr 7 2018, 19:13

I had a scale model Japanese student many years ago, who suffered from Duck's Disease* the same as you.

For the R22, he went to K-Mart and bought a child's rubber booster seat. CA$A would have a fit and declare it to be not airworthy, but it did the trick for him.

*Your @rse is too close to the ground
averagejoe
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby averagejoe » Sat Apr 7 2018, 20:55

It sounds like a lot better problem to have than trying to put my 6foot8 in a 22.... Booster seat is slightly easier and more legal than taking to the roof with a grinder and cutting a head hole :P
2Short

Postby 2Short » Sat Apr 7 2018, 21:47

Twistgrip wrote:Have you tried the R22 with the adjustable pedal version plus the back support cushion mod?. Might give you a slight advantage. :wink:

No, but I may have to, they do seem a lot smaller (like me). I really wanted to learn in the Bell 47 with the manual throttle (plus it just looks super cool) but it might not be possible. I'll try a back support cusion (or three) and see how I go. thanks for your response. :)
2Short

Postby 2Short » Sat Apr 7 2018, 21:55

averagejoe wrote:It sounds like a lot better problem to have than trying to put my 6foot8 in a 22.... Booster seat is slightly easier and more legal than taking to the roof with a grinder and cutting a head hole :P
Eric Hunt wrote:I had a scale model Japanese student many years ago, who suffered from Duck's Disease* the same as you.
For the R22, he went to K-Mart and bought a child's rubber booster seat. CA$A would have a fit and declare it to be not airworthy, but it did the trick for him.
*Your @rse is too close to the ground
bladefapper wrote:Have u tried a back support cushion?

If the cushion/s mod doesn't work I'll get a kids booster. I never thought of that. Although I can hear the stick I'll cop for that already! :D
rotors99
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby rotors99 » Sun Apr 8 2018, 00:55

Curry always seemed to give me a boost, especially with a double extra serving of red hot Chillies )c/
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sun Apr 8 2018, 05:33

2Short, the best thing I used to find with vertically challenged students was to get a cushion behind them to push them forward rather than up.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Apr 8 2018, 05:45

Evil Twin wrote:2Short, the best thing I used to find with vertically challenged students was to get a cushion behind them to push them forward rather than up.

Just be careful with doors off operations that a back cushion is at least secured somehow inside the aircraft so it can’t disappear into the tail rotor.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Pitchpull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pitchpull » Sun Apr 8 2018, 07:14

Evil Twin wrote:2Short, the best thing I used to find with vertically challenged students was to get a cushion behind them to push them forward rather than up.

ET is right, especially if you have T-Rex arms and you're Aft CG.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sun Apr 8 2018, 08:36

havick wrote:

Just be careful with doors off operations that a back cushion is at least secured somehow inside the aircraft so it can’t disappear into the tail rotor.

Agreed, we weren’t allowed to fly doors off on our contract so was never an issue for us.
James Hall
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby James Hall » Sun Apr 8 2018, 10:43

Try Indiana Jones and temple of Doom... problem solved :D

But seriously a cushion behind you has fixed the problem with several students in the past, but as has been mentioned ensure doors on or strap the cushion to your back to prevent FOD
2Short

Postby 2Short » Tue Apr 10 2018, 09:40

havick wrote:

Yes, thank you! I never thought of that and the Bell 47 I'm using has both doors off, always.

Return to “Equipment”