Helmet Life expectancy

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Helmet Life expectancy

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Feb 22 2018, 10:50

My trusty old helmet is closing in on ten years since manufacture. I like my helmet, it fits, and does the job. But it does need some TLC as it gets a lot of use. Do most people continue to sue their helmets past the ten year limit? Does this limit even relate to flight helmets? Was pretty standard for hard hats etc.

Edit: for heliduck - fat fingers on a phone at night :)
Last edited by Jabberwocky on Thu Feb 22 2018, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Helmet Life expectancy

Postby Heliduck » Thu Feb 22 2018, 11:52

I have no idea what a "flightbhelenrs" is, but I've had my trusty SPH5 for 21 years. I love it, it fits so well I usually don't know I have it on until I run out of comms cord on the way to the fuel drum. Alas I have succumbed to the temptation of an upgraded avionics package, & advice from all the experts on a 21 year old helmet is to get a new one. My shiny new Aspida with lightspeed Zulu ANR should be here in about a month, I'll let you know how it compares to old faithful.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
jonnyloove
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jonnyloove » Thu Feb 22 2018, 12:00

Hi there guys its interesting you mention the life of a shell hear in the UK last year Gentex/HISL confirmed in writing that a Alpha Eagle Shell was only good for a life of 10 years if it had been maintained inline with there maintenance standards.

Other parts on the helmet where lifed like the visors ear cups etc.
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Feb 22 2018, 19:38

I’d prefer to not have to upgrade the shell but it’s there for a reason and if it’s not going to do its job when required...
Dauphin
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Dauphin » Fri Feb 23 2018, 06:43

I rang HIS (manufacturers of Alpha) in the UK last year about this very thing. They do put a life of 10 years on their helmets. There is no particular reason other than they "cannot guarantee the integrity" of the helmet after this time. Because they have no control over how the helmet is treated or how much use it has, exposure to temperature extremes, chemicals, etc, they put a life on the helmet. If you pay an enormous amount of money to their agent in Australia he will inspect it and certify it for a further 2 years. If you look under the liner of your Alpha you'll find a sticker with the date of manufacture.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Fri Feb 23 2018, 08:38

That kind of suggests that a moderately used, well looked after helmet should still be fine well beyond the 10+2 lifetime. I’ve not long had my Alpha Eagle refurbished to pretty much a new standard and I intend using it for some time to come.

Personally speaking, an older helmet is still likely better protection than no helmet in the unlikely event... 8)

Return to “Equipment”