Installing an aviation radio into a car

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
tailrotor
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Installing an aviation radio into a car

Postby tailrotor » Sun Jun 4 2017, 02:14

Just wondering if anyone has ever gone through the process of installing an aviation radio (Hand held or actual flight unit) into a car? I would like to get this done in my car for work purposes and was just wondering if anyone has tried to do this before and had any tips about wiring/antenna compatibility/ anything else a semi technically minded person might need to pull it off? Pictures much appreciated.

Cheers in advance.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Installing an aviation radio into a car

Postby Heliduck » Sun Jun 4 2017, 04:40

I went through this process with a hand held once, I put it on the dash in front of the steering wheel. I've seen another installation which takes a bit more effort, he put it on the seat beside him. :wink:
"Plan twice...Fly once"
helothere
Sensei
Sensei

Postby helothere » Sun Jun 4 2017, 10:10

By far the simplest way would be to carry a handheld radio. If that does the trick, job done. You could power it from a cigarette lighter socket ensuring the voltage and current requirements are catered for. Next step would be an external antenna, the centre of the aviation band is about 127.5 mHz which would require a tuned whip at 1/4 wavelenght to be 588 mm in length. If you are only using a single frequency then you can tune to that ((300/Frequency Mhz) / 4). Placing it near the middle of the roof would give a good ground plane. More expensive antennas are available with or without ground plane loaded coils.

If that doesn't get you there then a 'proper' radio mounted on/in/under the dash just might. A handheld will give you up to 5 watts output, a mobile base station will be more like 25 watts. Be aware that a mobile station like that should be registered with the ACMA. You can pick up used radios from the busier avionics tech's/dealers if you want to go that way.

Hope this helps.
tailrotor
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby tailrotor » Mon Jun 5 2017, 09:42

Thanks Helothere that exactly what I needed! Much appreciated
Tactical71
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Tactical71 » Mon Sep 4 2017, 11:53

But in all seriousness, installing an airband radio into your car is no different to installing a CB. Handheld will be more portable, but nothing stopping you fitting a base / mobile unit like an Icom.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Tue Sep 5 2017, 07:32

Tactical71...made me laugh ! Well done. :D

PS _ I knew a few blokes with cars similar...a long, long time ago.

Return to “Equipment”