Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Headset choice

Postby jab160 » Tue Mar 14 2017, 06:13

Bose .........A20

D/clark.....DC ONE-X

both similar price, any feedback from users. ( need 2 )
If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time
SpecialGray
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: headset choise

Postby SpecialGray » Tue Mar 14 2017, 06:24

No experience with the DC I'm afraid but love the A20. You can find them for $1,250 inc GST easily enough.

Bose has great aftersales too, with a standard 5 year warranty, and they don't argue over much when you send headsets in. We've even had headsets broken in a crash that were repaired for free, and headsets that were just outside of the warranty refreshed (new soft parts), again all done for free and all they wanted was the serial number.

I've also heard the new Lightspeed Zulu 3s are worth considering. Similar price as the Bose, and have a 7 year warranty on them now, too.
While many enjoy activities where they challenge themselves to their physical limit, I prefer to do the same thing with my mind. That’s why I go on BladeSlapper, to be around other people who also enjoy being mentally challenged.
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jab160 » Tue Mar 14 2017, 07:01

will 2 bose bluetooth to same ph at same time ....( music )
Skid Marks
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Skid Marks » Tue Mar 14 2017, 07:31

I don't think a phone is capable of streaming to two Bluetooth devices at the same time, but someone smarter than me could prove me wrong.

I give another vote the Bose A20.
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Helicoil » Tue Mar 14 2017, 07:41

+1 Bose A20
aaron
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby aaron » Tue Mar 14 2017, 08:20

I have lightspeed 2, great headset and good warranty.
Same price as Bose Bluetooth phone and listen to music, auto turns music down when radio activities
scaarj
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby scaarj » Tue Mar 14 2017, 11:24

Thinking about getting the bose's. Which plug should I go for?
Lude
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Lude » Tue Mar 14 2017, 12:34

scaarj wrote:Thinking about getting the bose's. Which plug should I go for?

The heli one is the U174 plug

And +1 for the A20!
Fwh

Postby Fwh » Tue Mar 14 2017, 12:57

Anyone know the difference between lightspeed and bose? is one better than another or are they the same?
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Helicoil » Tue Mar 14 2017, 23:25

Fwh wrote:Anyone know the difference between lightspeed and bose? is one better than another or are they the same?

It's a bit like asking which is better, Ferrari or Lamborghini - the top-end product from both manufacturers is excellent, and you should be happy with either. As usual, it mostly comes down to personal preference. I can't comment personally on the Lightspeed, however the Bose are very comfortable, have very good noise cancelling, look good, excellent customer service, 5 year warranty which includes "consumables" like ear cups, and the Bluetooth integration on the later version ones can handle both music streaming and phone calls. I've found that the early model A20, and its predecessor the Aviation X headset's weakness to be in the reliability of the electronics, however the latest model has performed flawlessly for me, and Bose's customer service + warranty is there to sort out any issues. If you do go for this headset, be aware they will chew through regular batteries quickly, especially anything with "heavy duty" written on the side. Invest in a four-pack (two in use, two on stand-by) of Panasonic Eneloop Pro batteries + suitable charger and you're away laughing.

H.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Wed Mar 15 2017, 02:04

I tried the Lightspewd ZULU PFX for offshore and it took 4 x AA batteries and was going through a set of batteries every 4 -6 flying days, this meant some tours I was consuming a pack of 12 :o

ANR is ok but not great. The battery pack / ANR unit was very large and clumsy unlike the A20.

I ended up selling it recently and planning to buy an A20 as I've had Bose before and happy with them.

I do believe the Lighspeed Tango Wireless is good though.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jab160 » Wed Mar 15 2017, 02:15

So far 3 mails to bose have gone unanswered ( from web page )....10 days now. Makes me wonder about customer service.
SIR_SMP
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby SIR_SMP » Wed Mar 15 2017, 03:34

jab160 wrote:So far 3 mails to bose have gone unanswered ( from web page )....10 days now. Makes me wonder about customer service.

I had that too, they will never respond back to you, I sent an email enquiry months ago

Get on the blower to them they seem to respond ok when you ram your enquiry down their throats
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jab160 » Wed Mar 15 2017, 03:45

Any comments re those "wireless EQ3" headsets. Plug a device into existing jacks, turn on headsets ( no wires nothing )
aaron
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby aaron » Wed Mar 15 2017, 06:13

I also use a set of wireless tangos.
They are ok. Need to charge unit and headset everyday. Get 12 hours of use.
Good when in and out of aircraft.
Maybe wait until they do a version 2.
Works good, very sensitive and get boom if not 100% sealed around ears
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Headset choice

Postby Twistgrip » Wed Mar 15 2017, 09:34

very sensitive and get boom if not 100% sealed around ears

Thats exactly what I had experienced with the PFX Aaron. To the point where it became a pain in the backside.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
aaron
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby aaron » Wed Mar 15 2017, 11:11

Yet Zulu 2 uses the same earseal and the seal around ears doesn't have to be that good either and works way better.
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jab160 » Tue Apr 4 2017, 04:11

Ended up getting 2 sets of "EQ1" with "link" adaptors and blue tooth. Good for 20+ hrs, then recharge. ( headsets are wireless, no cords ).......performing beautifully.
Ex WA.......
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jab160 » Thu Sep 7 2017, 07:15

after some mths of use, and especially after extended long legs enroute, we both no longer like the comfort of the IQ headsets, pity.
Now looking at Bose A20, and the DC oneX............any comments please
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Thu Sep 7 2017, 07:21

Bose A20 is my choice for cups. :D

Return to “Equipment”