G-Shock Bluetooth watches

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

G-Shock Bluetooth watches

Postby havick » Fri Jan 27 2017, 02:52

Just thought I'd mention a neat product I just came across and started using.

I've been flying with a g-shock mud man for years, still going strong. Recently I've been flying across multiple time zones in the US on a daily basis and I got sick of constantly trying to keep up with changing the local setting.

I didn't really want an Apple Watch or the Garmin watch because they need recharging almost every night.

So I found the Bluetooth g-shock, it updates it's local time from your iPhone or android via an app. Basically a mud man but syncs to your phone's gps time.

Anyway just some food for thought it you can't bear to give up your trusty old g-shock look/feel/functionality but want the time to be synced.

Only cost me $140. I'm not sure if they're available in Australia so you might have to hunt around and order one off eBay from Japan.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
robaussie99
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: G-Shock Bluetooth watches

Postby robaussie99 » Fri Jan 27 2017, 21:08

On a side note, I have the Garmin vivoactive watch and absolutely love it. Battery definitely isn't "days" I do 2-3 week tours and often get through the whole thing between charges. Linked to phone via Bluetooth 24/7 and notifications always on. Fully waterproof and tough as nails.

Just FYI ;)

The g-shocks are awesome though. I had an in Bluetooth variant and swear by it as a work watch!
RotorBez
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RotorBez » Sat Jan 28 2017, 08:15

I can second the comment about the Garmin Vivoactive lasting longer than 24 hours. I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR which is constantly bluetooth connected to my iPhone and it does very well on charge. Actually, its averaging about 12-13 days between charges and I let the charge get to 15% before charging so you may even get 13 - 14 days before 100% empty.

Not seen the G-Shock so I can't comment.

RB
sam 34
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby sam 34 » Mon Jan 30 2017, 11:19

I have a Garmin D2 Bravo, with BT & GPS on it only gets 2 days, I'm ok with that as I take it off to sleep & gym so it spends a bit of time at the motel, but if your a person who keeps there watch on 24/7 it would become a pain

But, having it adjust automatically is handy, overall I love the watch, it's good when ya find something that works for what you want
Kulwin Park
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Kulwin Park » Mon Jan 30 2017, 11:33

Sam34, what is a BT on the Garmin D2 Bravo?
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Mon Jan 30 2017, 12:54

I'll try a wild stab in the dark...BlueTooth?

P1
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon Jan 30 2017, 19:34

The Bluetooth g-shock model is the gbx6900b- (1through 4 depending on colour).

For those that have been flying with a mud-man or similar it's basically the same watch but you can change all the settings, sync time, set alarms etc from the g-shock app on your phone.

Super simple, very functional, does what it's supposed to, waterproof, battery lasts years not days or weeks.

If you're after a fancy touchscreen watch then it's not for you. If you use a g-shock already but want something that's easier to change time zones and keep the time synced then it's great. And it's cheap, I got mine for $140 which is great if you're a tightass like me. Think they range from $130-230 depending which online store you get it through.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Return to “Equipment”