Remember, someone is always watching...... Or filming

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Remember, someone is always watching...... Or filming

Postby Nawty » Sun Jul 27 2014, 13:23

I was extremely lucky decades ago...that there were no smart phones when flying down maroochydore beach below the condos height to avoid radar for caloundra after last light after already cancelling sar.

How times have changed...instead of being delegated to sweeping the hanger floor.....I think from memory it was called 'creative'........quite sad when you have to watch and worry about every little thing you do....even when in an isolated remote location.....didn't cheap trick sing a song about the fun police ?
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Sun Jul 27 2014, 21:38

not putting myself into your age bracket there Nawty, but most of the kids on here wouldn't have heard of cheap trick... :lol:

As for the flying... well... was it necessary, probably not. was it dangerous, maybe? probably not? I personally don't try to drop my rotors down towards people on the ground, one day you will get it wrong, then you will be cleaning claret off the helicopter.

Could he land it if it all went wrong?? 20' off the deck going sideways. mmmmm i wouldn't want to try it.

have we all done stupid things and not been filmed, probably.... stones and glasshouses and all that.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sun Jul 27 2014, 21:49

SuperF, we.ve all done dumb things, myself included. But when everybody started to have a camera, common canine intercourse tells you to stop doing stupid stuff.

This clown did it knowing he would be filmed/photographed. He is too dumb to hold a commercial licence.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Sun Jul 27 2014, 22:09

not arguing with you HIP, but common sense isn't as common as it used to be.

quite surprised that a Big Hollywood Star would be flapping around in a Robbie!

over here they all want twins, wont even look at a single turbine, and over there hes in a piston! not going to argue the merits of piston/turbine/twin turbine, simply the managers and insurance companies assessment of risk, and their view is that you get safer as you move along that spectrum. never saw him in the machine, but i think that he said they flew in, then the pilot flew away and got whatever.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Sun Jul 27 2014, 23:53

Hello Dauphin,

Apologies for seemingly insulting you. Not my intention.

As for the rest of your note - I am onto it mate, I think we all are.

Funny how there are two views here, one "it's OK", two "it's crazy". Just how some people vote Libs and some vote Labor, never ceases to amaze me how such a simple thing (or things) polarises us Aussies.

I wouldn't have landed like that, simply because I am not that good ! Would I like to have a go, sure…but no cameras, I am too shy.

Arrrj

PS _ if they weren't filming an adventure series (or like) why did they have cameramen around ? Is the star that much of a narcissist ?
Redude
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Redude » Mon Jul 28 2014, 01:06

arrrj your doing the right thing mate ,knowig your limitations and staying with in that. It all comes in time and some people sit in that seat every day for a lot of hours to acquire certain skills .Myself been in industry for 28 years and i still see some people out there with skills that if equivilant in composers world would be in the legue as Mozart .Very very gifted pilots and wonderful to watch in action. This is my thoughts mate,take of it that suits you.
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Mon Jul 28 2014, 04:21

Redude,

You are in the group "it's OK" (a glass 1/2 full bloke), thanks for the message.

I do know my limitations, probably because I am 50+, for sure (that said, I have flown around most of Australia, Tassie included, Indonesia, UK etc) but I have not tried that sort of landing, so it wouldn't be my choice without some proper training (not sure I need to know it either !), like you I have seen and flown with some amazingly skilled drivers, who would have no problem executing that move.

However I reckon the bloke doing it in the film clip knows how to do it, probably from mustering training prior (?), looked perfect to me, but to others NOT !

All the best,
Arrrj
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Jul 28 2014, 06:36

Redude wrote:Aerobatic manuvers ? You cannot be serious,even if aircraft had engine failure it still had enough momentive to complete a succesful landing .

Yes, I am serious, and the point I was trying to make is that it is the angle that CASA will go with this, as seen before in other examples, as Bite_me mentioned. I'm not trying to make the argument with you, or anyone, about how appropriate it was. Only a CAAP, but might be worth reading for some http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... =155_1.pdf

Redude wrote:arrrj your doing the right thing mate ,knowig your limitations and staying with in that. It all comes in time and some people sit in that seat every day for a lot of hours to acquire certain skills .Myself been in industry for 28 years and i still see some people out there with skills that if equivilant in composers world would be in the legue as Mozart .Very very gifted pilots and wonderful to watch in action. This is my thoughts mate,take of it that suits you.

Totally agree. I could not pull that landing off myself, nor would I try to.

The stronger theme in this thread is not the argument about whether he was safe or not, but more so about having to be very careful of what you do as we are ever increasingly being watched. There are examples out there now of people losing their license through similar footage (and not just in Australia). As I said before, we have a professional license, and we should give that privilege the respect it deserves.
Nawty
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Nawty » Mon Jul 28 2014, 13:25

Many black 44's up that way ?

Could be this one....came across it by chance on FB

1106_10151532755033439_855791867_n.jpg

It is too....further probing just confirmed it.

just deleted the link and blocked the rego....I ain't no dobber
Bootch
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bootch » Mon Jul 28 2014, 20:32

He paid for an adventure. Your probably not gonna do it on your approach to a hospital pad, but the idea was a good time. Smooth moves. Time and place: 1 and a half miles off-shore, on a sand bank with some cobbers who paid $$$$$$$ for an experience of a life time. He looked stoked with it to - he wanted to show the whole world.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Mon Jul 28 2014, 23:40

It's a charter. GB describes that the helicopter dropped them off there. No floats on the helicopter. PAX charter over water?
What is the weight of the boat, load, etc? Was it greater than what the hook was rated at?
In the helicopters turn around the nose, you can see a guy at the right of screen who is ducking, what was in his mind at the time? Was he placed in fear?
Even the description for the camera of "this guys a mad man, you don't even want to be around him..." could draw the attention of CASA.
There was talk of GB having a rifle handed to him at the start of the clip. Did they carry that in the aircraft, etc?

That's a few questions that CASA might want to ask.

Rule one. Don't do dumb things in an aircraft if you want to keep flying.
Rule two. Since no one is perfect and we all make mistakes, especially don't do them in front of a camera.

Also, Something to bear in mind with the manner in which the rules that are upon us are worded, the meaning of strict liability.
For those that haven’t seen this article, from our very own CASA.
http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/m ... /12-13.pdf

In judging the flying that you saw in the clip, don't ask yourself if you would do it or not. Ask what you would do if you were the Chief Pilot and you saw one of your line pilots doing it? Would you pat him on the back, or have a quiet word in his ear?

Just my $0.02
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Coriolis
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Coriolis » Thu Jul 31 2014, 22:29

Jabber:
The stronger theme in this thread is not the argument about whether he was safe or not, but more so about having to be very careful of what you do as we are ever increasingly being watched.

The theme in this thread should be whether he was safe or not....and then the issue about cameras and being watched becomes a moot point entirely!
Life is like a ferris wheel;
Some days your on the top,
some days your on the botton!
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Fri Aug 1 2014, 15:39

It's not a demonstration of skill, it's a lack of discipline in the least and commercially unprofessional and draws the crabs. (CRM!)
I would rate it with the low level torque turn above a fuel farm. Nothing more than lucky while nothing went wrong and not real smart.
That sort of conduct generates apprehension more than a thrill.
There are aviation adverse greenies who sweat on episodes like this to further their cause.
The tourists are already impressed with the helicopter being there, that's what makes the $$$$.
if you stack it into the water, you might survive the arrival, but what happens if your face is under water. Your egress time is limited to seconds if you cant' breathe.

Sensibly, why take or introduce the risk?
Keep it flying, don't quit!
flyboy111111
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flyboy111111 » Sat Aug 2 2014, 11:29

Sensibly, why take or introduce the risk?

Well it's simple really, Why? Without taking or introducing risk, man would never having taken flight let alone a helicopter been invented.
ozloadie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ozloadie » Sat Aug 2 2014, 16:41

Well, obviously you'll be solo and own the machine that you take your next risk in!
See airmanship, CRM, survival instinct, Air Leg., small business principles, Insurance premiums, accident investigations and aviation history.
I detect a common thread of risk reduction and eradication.
We are a long way from Icarus.
Spontaneous conduct kills pilots, even the best ones.
Mission - 7p's /Landing - pswat
If you conduct an on the spur of the moment event, what didn't you check?
Keep it flying, don't quit!
mickjoiebill
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby mickjoiebill » Sun Aug 3 2014, 02:01

Why not have an endorsement (like mustering or aerobatic) so dynamic flying can be enjoyed by the paying public?

"Spontaneous conduct kills pilots, even the best ones."
Agreed, would creating an endorsement for dynamic tourist flights serve as a professional development goal for the inexperienced pilots and a standard for experienced pilots?

A hot lap in a race car or aerobatics in a Biplane are regulated activities, it seems to me that their is a demand for thrill rides in helicopters.
A simulated mustering ride to the outback tourists would be a very memorable oz adventure!

Mickjoebill
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Sun Aug 3 2014, 02:57

Good idea mick.

We have a similar rule in NZ, but unfortunately CAA have decided that you must be able to provide an equivalent level of safety as an air transport flight.

So if you are going to do low level Ag ops/ mustering type flights, then you have to increase the safety somewhere else, ie Twin engines, other types of new technology, high time pilots, etc.

They haven't figured out that you will now have guys, probably with not much time on that type of operation, or if they do it was 20 years ago, trying to hotdog in a BK or 355.....

No one has gone for the certification yet... Probably because for all the cost involved, if you find the right (or wrong) operator they will probably do the same in an R22 for a couple of slabs.
Air Taxi
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Air Taxi » Sun Aug 3 2014, 04:39

Would people be more comfortable if the machine was plastered with Red Bull Stickers. Not saying I agree or disagree with the flying in question. But I don't see Chuck Aaron the red bull pilot getting much stick with his displays. Not saying he should, just an observation.
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Sun Aug 3 2014, 05:51

Maybe because he is trained and endorsed to do what he does?
Maybe because his displays are planned, approved and subject to strict regulations like distance to public, height etc?
agrimuster
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby agrimuster » Sun Aug 3 2014, 08:37

As far as I know there is no such thing as an Aerobatic endorsement for helicopters in Australia. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Learn from others mistakes as you wont live long enough to make them all yourself

Return to “On the Job”