What laws/regulations govern where you can land

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
pushrod
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

What laws/regulations govern where you can land

Postby pushrod » Thu Jul 10 2014, 09:16

Hey all,
sorry for the slightly weird question but something I have never really got my head around. I have flown in a few places and always wondered at the differences in attitudes to off field landings. In the Hunter valley I have literately landing in peoples back yard in the middle of the burbs and people don't seem to care but its next to impossible to do the same thing on the Mornington peninsular. Same with beaches I know operators who often land on beaches, but have heard stories of people who got in a lot of trouble for doing it. So other than the owners permission what are the actual restrictions governing off field landing? Is it entirely councils decision?
Cleanskin
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: What laws/regulations govern where you can land

Postby Cleanskin » Thu Jul 10 2014, 11:07

Don't ask, just do it and then say "I thought there was a problem with my machine, but all ok now"

If you choose to use this advice don't hold me responsible for court costs :lol:
Randall
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Randall » Thu Jul 10 2014, 22:28

Pushrod etal,

Can't comment about the why's and wherefores of other state legislations etc - but - as far as Victoria is concerned, I spent 5 years getting the rules changed slightly in our favour so here's the low down as far as Victoria is concerned:-

The councils are governed by Victorian Planning Provisions (VPP's) and VPP 52.15 applies specifically to Helicopter Landings off field.

Cutting to the chase, you are allowed 8 movements in 30 days (A take-off is a movement and a landing is another movement) without having a planning permit - provided - such landings are not within 1,000 metres of a 'Sensitive Use'.

A 'Sensitive Use' is also defined in VPP's and is a domestic dwelling, a kindergarten or a primary school.

So essentially you can't land in the suburban footy field or anywhere suburban in Victoria unless you have a Planning Permit....good luck with that!!

That's the Law and then there's what you get away with - essentially "it aint illegal until you get caught' sort of thinking.

Some Councils are great others not so much - The Mornington Peninsula is anti Helicopter so its pretty much a 'No Land' zone - unless you comply with the above of course.

As I understand it, the attitude to off field landing varies wildly state to state...Victoria and NSW are probably the most stringent with QLD being the the other (wiser) end of the scale and leaving it to the Aviation Regulations to determine right or wrong.

There is a paragraph in the Australian Constitution that states that if the State legislations are inconsistent - then - Federal Law is to be applied.

Anyone want to star in the Helicopter version of 'The Castle'? :lol: :lol:
--Randall

Any Day Above Ground - Is A Good Day
BubbaMc

Postby BubbaMc » Sun Aug 2 2015, 22:56

Interesting question and one I'm also curious about.

Can anyone point me in the direction to the rules regarding off field landings in Western Australia?

Is there anything in the CASA regulations about this?

Return to “On the Job”