Australian Helicopter Industry Association

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: Australian Helicopter Industry Association

Postby AHIA » Sun Mar 20 2016, 19:07

ATPL update coming

Next Helicopter Australasia edition at end of March will have some notes from AHIA Vice President Ray Cronin who recently represented the AHIA at meeting with CASA.

Although well meaning and helpful CASA guys, had in the past, met Ray to sort out the ATPL flight test; it was thought some problems had been solved after the matter was passed up the line. A recent flight test indicated that more work was needed. Hopefully Ray's feedback will tell us the of the progress in sorting out what is becoming a threat to aircrew seeking promotion.

AHIA members automatically receive Helicopters Australasia the new official journal of the AHIA.

If you want to be kept informed join the AHIA $110 or find a mate who will tell you.

AHIA Events Organiser
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Mar 20 2016, 20:29

I joined the AHIA as a single member late 2015 but have never received any updates or emails other than what's posted here on Bladeslapper.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby AHIA » Tue Mar 22 2016, 08:08

AHIA’s week that was – ending Sun 20 Mar ’16.

What a week it was. Or was it an event filled week showing a new beginning?

Australian economy. Australia seems to be undergoing enormous changes across the whole business spectrum. The news is not all bad news, as business news sources are suggesting, the economy is perhaps performing better than expected, despite all the doom and gloom. It was thought the end of the mineral and energy export boom would translate into some kind of recession. However, the unemployment rates across the nation are not indicating this to be the case, despite much comment in the media. As an example, Queensland appeared to be suffering a setback due to the ending of the mineral resources boom. And yet today, their unemployment rate is lower than during the previous good times?

Aviation industry. Senior aviation folks who specialize in watching the performance of the aviation industry at all levels, are puzzled as to why the aviation industry is not moving ahead at present. On the upside, airlines seem to be doing well with the increased tourism due to the low Australian dollar making overseas holidays somewhat more expensive. But all other levels of the industry seem to be almost stalled when the scale of investment is analyzed more closely. Sceptics will suggest the turbulence caused by the years of CASA reform process and now their own internal restructuring has turned investors away?

Australian Federal Election? The Queensland local government election has indicated not all is well with the management of the Queensland economy by a left wing government. No matter which side of politics you are sitting, the handling of the Queensland economy by the minority government has created a true stalemate. And of course, the conservative federal government is reluctant to bail them out with additional funding. As readers no doubt realize the federal budget has been brought forward to 2 May 2016, and if some of the issues are not agreed upon by the opposition, then a federal election will be held on 2 July 2016.

General Aviation. The recent restructuring of the federal government has been accepted by many as being of some benefit to the general aviation community. This is due to the aviation industry being moved out of the busy portfolio of the Deputy Prime Minister. At present these new teams are restructuring themselves to engage more closely with our industry and most people are happy to let them settle in as they learn the good and the bad of our general aviation industry, which needs a lot of support from the federal government. It is hoped the pending election will not slow our efforts in processing an enormous number of changes within the lighter end of the industry.

We must make ourselves more efficient, competitive and with a cost effective safety system, so as to make us more attractive in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region.

New e-news service. Several weeks ago most of you will have received the first issue of the re-launched Helicopters Australasia. We were able to list all our company and associated company members to promote their services to the business communities. In addition, all the exhibitors from the Rotortech 2016 Exhibition Hall were also listed to ensure widespread knowledge of their activities. We are able to use the extra space to provide more information back to our members on the many committees, projects and other industry regulatory consulting activities the AHIA is engaged to ensure our industry is not harmed too much during the regulatory reform process.

Non-helicopter people probably do not know the significant changes proposed in the new regulations can be costlier for helicopter operators than their aeroplane cousins. Next edition we will have the updated listing for Australian Helicopter Flying Schools and those who are AHIA members.

Complimentary Australian Helicopter Operators’ List. In a few days, Hope, my Events Organizer Assistant will have finished sorting the 2,150 helicopters on the CASA Aircraft Register into a list showing current operators within Australia. This list shows around 950 operators in Australia. An interesting fallout from Hope's work is around one third of our operators are AOC holders and the remainder are private operators. Marketing gurus will be able to study our further comments on this list – all in the next Helicopters Australasia. Next edition will be the March Report, which looks at March’s helicopter news.

Rotortech 2016. Fri 27 to Sun 29 May 2016. All booths were sold around four months prior to the event. If by chance you missed out there are a couple of Bronze sponsorships available and a handful of events sponsorships for those with a restricted budget. The list of 50 exhibitors will be published in Helicopters Australasia with updated contact information.

Expressions of interest are requested from speakers. Call Rob – 0415 641 774.

Delegate bookings. Now available. Please ask for a Quick Order Form and accommodation information. Please note if you want to attend the conference dinner, you must advise us on the form as there is an extra fee for this event

Booth holder passes. Just a reminder that each booth holder is entitled to two delegate passes. Booth holders are entitled to two complimentary dinner tickets. We will be asking you to nominate your attendees soon, so we can prepare the necessary passes and dinner tickets.

Conference Program. Final program will be published in Helicopters Australasia at end of month; there has been a slight delay due to the announcement of the revised budget dates and the possibility of a federal election on 2 July 2016. As the event organizer, I am very excited at the quality of the presentations we have been offered. I have encouraged people to speak about the future changes that are about to occur within our industry due to the resolution of some major government contracts; including the new ADF helicopter training school for helicopter pilots and the significant expansion of many organizations to service the new aeromedical contracts that have been established in many states of Australia.

Event photographer. Complimentary for booth holders. On Fri 27 May ’16, Brian Rogers Photographics, will provide photography of Rotortech 2016, including the 50 exhibition booths and exhibitors in the VIP Heli-Park. The day will conclude with social photography of the Welcome Cocktail Party. Brian will supply digital images within 24 hours for exhibitors to quickly obtain prints for the event or use on their website for commercial and marketing. Brian can be contacted on 0417 535 503 or admin@brp.net.au or http://www.brp.net.au.

http://www.austhia.com
. Our backroom geeks are frantically getting the website reorganised to cater fully for the coming Rotortech event. If they can achieve this difficult objective, I will ask the Easter Bunny to call by their place on Sunday.

March Madness.
Students at AHIA member flying schools are offered a free Concession Membership so they can keep abreast of the enormous changes occurring in Australia with the restructuring of CASA and the unwinding of much of the Flight Crew Licensing, Part 61 legislation. Both are scheduled to be completed by 30 June 2016 – which isn’t too far away.

Kindest regards,
Rob Rich
AHIA Events Organiser. M: 0415 641 774. E: robsrich@bigpond.com
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby AHIA » Tue Mar 22 2016, 09:26

Havick,

Sorry to hear your plight!

Did you call us, SMS or email?

Sometimes we receive funds with no ID; part of PayPal or EFT (PayWay). On odd occasions we find typos in return emails.

Send me an email and we will sign you on at no cost to you.

Apologies if we were dunces!

Rob
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby AHIA » Wed Mar 23 2016, 19:12

At last!

CASA has released a range of guidance material to make it easier for flying training organisations to transition to new rules by 31 August 2018. The guidance also applies to new applicants for a CASA approval to conduct Part 141 flight training activities.

This includes:
• a Part 141 Sample Operations Manual
• a guide to using the Part 141 Sample Operations Manual
• the revised CASA Part 141 technical assessor’s handbook, along with instructions for CASA staff on conducting assessments
• sample flying training syllabuses
• a Part 141 transition information sheet.

The Part 141 Sample Operations Manual is designed for operators who conduct non-complex flying training activities, and provides a basic template which will require minimal tailoring to reflect the circumstances of individual organisations.

It will also serve as a useful starting point for operators who undertake more complex Part 141 activities.

Access the new guidance material is now available on the CASA website. See Regulatory Reform.

AHIA
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby AHIA » Sun Mar 27 2016, 01:13

The following unconfirmed information is disturbing. Extract from another report reads:

24 March 2016. Note to Members – Appointment of Voluntary Administrator

Dear Members

I regret to advise that the Boards of Royal Queensland Aero Club Limited, Airline Academy of Australia Pty Ltd and ATAE Pty Ltd resolved earlier today to appoint a Voluntary Administrator to all entities within the Royal Queensland Aero Club structure.

As a consequence of this appointment all entities ceased trading with effect from this afternoon.

This outcome is particularly disappointing given the substantial progress recently made towards achieving increased scale and profitability.

I would like to take this opportunity to record my and the Board’s appreciation of the wonderful efforts of Management and Staff, particularly through the many challenges that have arisen in recent months.

The Voluntary Administrator, Nigel Markey of Pilot Partners, has commenced the process of reviewing the position of the RQAC group and will provide advice to Directors, Creditors and Members and Students in the coming weeks.

Obviously this is an incredibly sad day for our proud and historic organisation. There will be a number of people working tirelessly in the coming days to explore all avenue and options to develop a proposal that will allow the entities to emerge from Voluntary Administration.

Members will be kept informed throughout the process.

Yours sincerely

Clif Hefner

AHIA Comment: It is hoped that more information is forthcoming. Was it economic factors, new CASA legislation. Loss of another LAME type training facility is not in the best interest of the helicopter industry?
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Imout » Sun Mar 27 2016, 05:27

Rob is it the engineering or Pilot training portion?
I would have thought the pilot training arm.

This is becoming a common thread now. Speaking to many long time operators (flying and engineering) they are all saying it is as if the tap has been turned OFF.
I think we will see more.
My finger is squarly pointing in one direction!!
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Mar 30 2016, 18:43

Hi rob, what is the best email address to forward my membership receipt to?
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby AHIA » Wed Mar 30 2016, 19:46

Havick,

Good to hear from you. You have a good perspective of all our flat tyres associated with wobbly Part 61+

Try secretary (at) austhia (dot) com

Enjoy the approaching summer holidays where you are.

Rob
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby AHIA » Fri Apr 15 2016, 11:26

Project Eureka Report now available.

AOPA's interesting report of what needs to be done to overcome the apparent stalled regulatory reform process by CASA is available from the AOPA Website.

AHIA can provide a copy (5mb pdf) if you wish. Ask at "robsrich [at] bigpond [dot] com.

No matter what your views are on the current situation; you must be wise and at least read what other researchers have proposed.

After all it is probably an election year??

AHIA
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby AHIA » Thu Apr 21 2016, 11:07

Time to put our feet up - no rain today?

Recently many aviation people have made comment about the apparent slow pace of putting Band-Aides onto unpopular CASA legislation being provided for us to enjoy?

But every government department is entering the "care-taker mode" until the election has passed (assuming it is on). As such it is unlikely any changes can be implemented in Canberra. You know the story.

But this time frame could be three months, which means the proposed end of June timeline for Part 61 recovery is not achievable.

So it is time to have a rest and reflect. Maybe 2017 may reenergize CASA (if they are allowed to be) which depends on the new minister, etc.

So what are you all going to do? As a started come to Rotortech 2016 - Exhibition Halls are free. Lots of good metal and carbon fiber parked in the heliparks.

It is time we embrace "drones" lately seen on TV ...............

AHIA
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Thu Apr 21 2016, 11:23

We best all give up then! FFS this kind of defeatist attitude helps no one!
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Thu Apr 21 2016, 16:22

All I can say is I'm glad I've moved to the USA, may as well hang up the helmet for Australian ops the way things are going.
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby AHIA » Thu Apr 28 2016, 04:08

INDUSTRY RALLY TAMWORTH AIRPORT

1pm - Friday, 6th May 2016
Hangar 6 - Tamworth Regional Airport, NSW, Australia.

From AOPA sources.

YOUR INDUSTRY NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT - 6th MAY 2016
I am calling on the support of all pilots, aircraft owners, aviation business owners and operators to attend our industry rally in Tamworth, on Friday 6th May 2016. This is your opportunity to be seen and to be heard!

The industry’s leading associations, peak-bodies and aviation personalities, will be in attendance. All standing with the pilots, aircraft owners, aviation businesses and operators of our industry - united in the call for change. We are calling on the government take immediate measures to end the regulatory nightmare that has destroyed our charter, flight training and maintenance industries. Made Australia uncompetitive on the global aviation stage. Eroded essential air services connecting regional Australia, disconnecting townships and isolating communities.

A regulatory nightmare that has forced an entire industry into collapse and thousands of hard working men and women into bankruptcy. In attendance, representing the government will be;

The Deputy Prime Minister, the Hon Barnaby Joyce

The Department of Infrastructure and Transport, the Hon Darren Chester

The Chairman of the Board, Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Mr Jeff Boyd.

For too long, the Australian aviation industry has been disenfranchised the right to economic prosperity through failed policy and excess regulation and compliance costs. We are an industry failed by political rhetoric and empty promises by the Labor, Liberal and The Nationals alike. Our industry has been pushed to the wall, lives destroyed, families broken, retirements ruined and homes lost. A prosperous future for aviation in this country can only be assured through a regulatory framework that is balanced, fair and representative of the needs and aspirations of industry itself. Most importantly, it must be accountable to industry, the people it is there to serve.

I am calling on each and every aviation participant that cares for this industry to show their support and attend. We can no longer afford to sit back and watch the destruction of our industry. Stand with us as we call on government to take action. Help send Canberra a clear message. Show your support. Fly in or drive in. Contact your aviation networks, email, sms, phone.

Lets send the government a clear message, that enough is enough.

Thank you for your support, and I look forward to seeing you all at the event.
Best regards,
BENJAMIN MORGAN
Chief Executive - Aviation Advertiser Digital Group
Telephone: (02) 8215 6292
Mobile: 0415 577 724
Email: bmorgan@aviationadvertiser.com.au

EVENT SCHEDULE
1pm - Arrival
1pm-2pm - FREE BBQ lunch and drinks - Sponsored by Aviation Advertiser & AOPA
2pm - Government representatives arrive
2pm-2:30pm - Closed door meeting between Government and Industry Associations
2:30pm-3pm - Short presentation to rally from industry representatives
2:30pm-4pm - Open Q&A between rally attendees and government
4pm-6pm - Tamworth AeroClub Post Event Drinks

Helicopter folks - what do you think!

AHIA
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Thu Apr 28 2016, 06:27

Now that, is much more like it!
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Thu Apr 28 2016, 22:09

Would love to be there but I'm working.
Pretty sure I'd get kicked out shortly after opening my mouth so probably not worth the drive anyway.

Give them a message from me please.

Dump Part61, 141, 142, 48-1 and go back to CAR 5 and the original CAO Part 48. Then if they don't like those either fix them up or write something that will work, something we can understand and isn't full of cute catch phrases and slogans. Something for Pilots, not lawyers and other bottom feeders. and if you write something new, check it and make sure it will work before you shove it down our throats along with a bunch of blatant lies. Also, don't make the mistake of labelling everything with "safety" unless it actually adds to or improves safety.
A hint, don't believe much of what you hear from academics, sitting in a classroom as a career and talking about aviation doesn't mean they know much about aviation.
Try talking to people who actually fly aeroplanes and helicopters for living for a change, believe it or not we do know something about aviation.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Imout
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Imout » Fri Apr 29 2016, 06:01

I only want one question answered.

Can you (Government/CASA) please show us the Safety Case that required all of these changes.

Constantly we as operators have to provide safety cases for any minor change.
CASA have been given a mandate that no regulatory change should be made unless there is a safety reason and a safety case has been put together justifying the reason for the change.

Can we please see the safety case CASA have put together (obviously) prior to implementing Part 61.

Unfortunately I am away overseas again on the 6th otherwise I would be in Tamworth offering support to the industry
I may look at sending some representation and a couple of helicopters just to be there.

Be interesting to know how the government officials are getting there. I am guessing by aircraft!!!!
See what happens if that ability is taken away. We all start grinding to a halt.
Seagull
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Seagull » Fri Apr 29 2016, 07:30

Ditto what mike said. I would love to see the "safety case". If nothing else so that I have a template to use when I want to make a change...
Skywork
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Skywork » Fri Apr 29 2016, 19:31

The problem with the GA aviation sector is it is weak,(and CASA know it) so CASA can do what they like. Just take a look at the Road Safety Renumeration Panel and the decision they made to owner drivers. The Owners drivers were vocal throughout the industry, got other sectors on board in regard to the cost it would impose, and then got together followed through and then decended on Canberra with all their trucks and it was scrapped through the Senate in one week,
What has our sector really done in force to get the attention of the Government. Discussion, we all know that does not achieve anything with the bullies from CASA, but more discussions go on.

Brent
AHIA
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby AHIA » Fri Apr 29 2016, 20:23

What have we done?

These comments are private in nature; AHIA will provide a Media Release after the pending meeting at Tamworth.

But history shows, the AHIA has advised members not to submit upgrades to new rules because the most troublesome Part 61 still cannot be used to apply for or roll over to new system. In other words, CASA appears not to have internal guide lines to process 141 and 142 applications. Look at schools who have been knocked back?

CASA is trying hard to help by issuing a guide to help write all the things a non-complex school; or transition to one. Part 141 Guide.

SO ......... what happens when you download the well meant documentation?

You have to refer to Part 61 Flight Crew Licensing - I tried the Com Law site. When finally found it said it was superseded or suspended or similar.

Next step, check out the MOS. Good news there is a current version dated 13 August 2014?????

But what has happened to the feedback we have given to Standards Branch during the two and half years of road shows, committees, surveys, media reports, association submissions and working groups with their joint submissions.

Request: Please prove me wrong! Is Part 61 legislation current or are we lawless?

How does a new school or one in transition find an updated version of the MOS.

If my searching of the CASA and Com Law sites is in error - please point me on the right direction. Are others having this problem?

Private comment by Rob Rich

Return to “On the Job”